Mapex armory? Or... what else?

Botiarazman

Ahh unforunately, I've not had the chance. The nearest stockist is a 4 hour round trip for me because I don't have a car. I'm basing this on bands bringing Yamaha kits to local venues near me, playing on massive stages like Download festival, and watching ~1 billion hours of youtube videos about different kit sounds.
Well, okay... But then why did you choose the Armory?

BonsaiMagpie

Well, okay... But then why did you choose the Armory?
It was back when I fresh faced drummer. I hadn't heard it before, but I was offered one at cost price when an order for a 6 piece Tama fell through. It was my first kit, as I'd been lending a friends mis-matched Sonor and CB set.
Everyone agrees it's a great kit, but nearly 5 years on from buying it I know a lot more and have seen a lot more. The armory is good, and played well it's great. The Yamaha equivalent is great, and played well, fantastic.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm going to go against the grain here.

My suggestion? Find a good snare and good cymbals. See how much money you have left, then buy your drums.

You can always upgrade shell packs later.

That's just me though.

Botiarazman

It was back when I fresh faced drummer. I hadn't heard it before, but I was offered one at cost price when an order for a 6 piece Tama fell through. It was my first kit, as I'd been lending a friends mis-matched Sonor and CB set.
Everyone agrees it's a great kit, but nearly 5 years on from buying it I know a lot more and have seen a lot more. The armory is good, and played well it's great. The Yamaha equivalent is great, and played well, fantastic.
It's such a hard choice... Do you know anything about sonor aq2s?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Oh and one more thing...I wouldn't get too hung up on buying another kick drum just so you can play jazz. People play jazz on anything from 16" to 24" kicks. Once you get your kit, focus on the music, not the gear...until you are pursuing a sound that absolutely won't work with what you are trying to do.

Botiarazman

Oh and one more thing...I wouldn't get too hung up on buying another kick drum just so you can play jazz. People play jazz on anything from 16" to 24" kicks. Once you get your kit, focus on the music, not the gear...until you are pursuing a sound that absolutely won't work with what you are trying to do.
Well... But it wouldn't be exactly ideal if I had a 22" bass drum that I had to carry around and retune everytime I want to play jazz...

harryconway

Platinum Member
Okay... I heard the Sonor l-arms fit Mapex toms. Could I use a Sonor stand? https://m.thomann.de/gb/sonor_dts_4000_double_tom_stand.htm I'm thinking about buying this one.
Well, at 149 Euros .... isn't that the same price as the Mapex double tom holder?
I couldn't find ANY information on the L-rod ball sizes different companies use. Gibraltar uses 1,5", and that's it. So how can I find out what fits what?
Gibraltar offers 9.5mm, 10.5mm, 12.7mm and hex rod ball L-rods https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product-category/part/tom-mounting-parts/ball-l-rods/

From Drum Factory Direct info. ..... "Single L-rods for L-rod tom arms, L-rod platform mounts, and multi clamps. There are four L-rod sizes, 9.5mm, 10.5mm, 12.7mm and hex. and they are available with ball ends, straight ends and super sized ends that fit into multi clamps. 9.5mm L-rods fit older Ludwig drums, all Gibraltar L-rod brackets and most of our other L-rod brackets, and many percussion items such as cowbells, wood and synthetic blocks, and mountable tambourines. The 10.5mm fits most Tama, Ludwig, Premier, Taye, Pacific, Ayotte, Roland Electronic pads, newer Remo drums, and many other brand drums, as well as all Gibraltar L-rod brackets and most of our other L-rod brackets. The 12.7mm fits most DW and Gretsch drums as well as all of the Gibraltar L-rod brackets. The hex rods fit newer Mapex and Sonor, and older Remo drums. " ..... and the Mapex site seems to have no info. (that I can find) on the actual size of their L-arm. I hate it when manufactures hold secret general spec. info. like this. What a PITA.

Botiarazman

Well, at 149 Euros .... isn't that the same price as the Mapex double tom holder?

Gibraltar offers 9.5mm, 10.5mm, 12.7mm and hex rod ball L-rods https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product-category/part/tom-mounting-parts/ball-l-rods/

From Drum Factory Direct info. ..... "Single L-rods for L-rod tom arms, L-rod platform mounts, and multi clamps. There are four L-rod sizes, 9.5mm, 10.5mm, 12.7mm and hex. and they are available with ball ends, straight ends and super sized ends that fit into multi clamps. 9.5mm L-rods fit older Ludwig drums, all Gibraltar L-rod brackets and most of our other L-rod brackets, and many percussion items such as cowbells, wood and synthetic blocks, and mountable tambourines. The 10.5mm fits most Tama, Ludwig, Premier, Taye, Pacific, Ayotte, Roland Electronic pads, newer Remo drums, and many other brand drums, as well as all Gibraltar L-rod brackets and most of our other L-rod brackets. The 12.7mm fits most DW and Gretsch drums as well as all of the Gibraltar L-rod brackets. The hex rods fit newer Mapex and Sonor, and older Remo drums. " ..... and the Mapex site seems to have no info. (that I can find) on the actual size of their L-arm. I hate it when manufactures hold secret general spec. info. like this. What a PITA.
Oh, okay. And the size of the actual ball? Is that standard? Or that changes from manufacturer to manufacturer as well?

harryconway

Platinum Member
Oh, okay. And the size of the actual ball? Is that standard? Or that changes from manufacturer to manufacturer as well?
Yes ..... ball sizes are different. Click on the different ball L-arm's and that info is there.
It's cheaper... The Mapex is 190.
In that case ..... the Drum Factory info. collaborates that Mapex and Sonor have the same size L-arm. And they recommend the hex rod (HB-SCL) unit from Gibraltar as the one to use (if you go the Gibraltar route.

Botiarazman

Yes ..... ball sizes are different. Click on the different ball L-arm's and that info is there.

In that case ..... the Drum Factory info. collaborates that Mapex and Sonor have the same size L-arm. And they recommend the hex rod (HB-SCL) unit from Gibraltar as the one to use (if you go the Gibraltar route.
Thanks a lot!

Botiarazman

Also, does somebody have experience with the Sonor aq2s? They're probably better than the Armory or the Stage Custom... But I don't know.

V-Four

Yup, this is the exact set I was considering... But a that colour isn't everyone's cup of tea... And I'm not sure that the deal with the Armorys isn't too good to be true. After all Yamaha is a more respected and trust-worthy brand... (or am I wrong?)
Yea, Yamaha been around for a while and have the reputation (for good reason).
I own (and love) the Yamaha stg custom- (in natural finish), But, I do love the look of that Mapex, and would probably be just as happy with IT.

T.

fl.tom

And in comparison to the other kits mentioned in the conversation? If it's THAT much better, I'll consider it as well.
I can only compare the Sonor AQ2 to the Tama Superstar Classic and Yamaha Stage Custom first-hand. They are all fine kits and don’t believe you can go wrong with any of them. The AQ2 is more refined in some areas, but trying to convey “how much more” in objective terms is tough without knowing what parameters are of importance to you and the relative priority of each.

Sound and feel are very subjective and I presume you’ve already listened to some minimally processed, room/distant miked recordings of these kits? so here’s some thoughts on other aspects to consider...

Cost seems to be a driving factor and the AQ2 seems to pushing a limit so what about:

— 10-lug vs 8-lug 22” bass drums or 8-lug vs 6-lug 16” floor toms for more tuning control?
(note: all the 16” floor toms noted below have 8-lugs a side so that’s positive)
— durability of shell hardware or finish (wrap vs lacquer) for gigging?
— flexibility or preferences for different tom mounts?
— mount vs no-mount bass drums?
— shell depth preferences?
— options for future add-on drums?
— other aspects?

Since you like the AQ2 White Pearl wrap finish and it’s less expensive than the lacquer options, let’s use it for some base comparisons with pricing from Thomann:

Sonor AQ2 5-piece in WHP
— 998 EUR
— 10-lug 22” bass
— lower profile tom mounts (Smart Mount)
— split-ball 4000 series tom holders allow both vertical & lateral positioning of the hex L-rods
— etc.

Mapex Armory 6-piece in UM
— 999 EUR
— 8-lug 22” bass
— no-mount bass
— similar hex L-rod Tom holders to Sonor but no split-ball... though housing allows for a slighter greater horizontal ball rotation
— etc.

Tama Superstar Classic 7-piece
— 1111 EUR
— 8-lug 22” bass
— wrap and lacquer finishes available
— standard round 10.5mm L-rod tom holders with typical Tama rock solid stability
— etc.

Yamaha Stage Custom 5-piece
— 675 EUR
— 8-lug 22” bass
— bullet-proof, time-tested absolute lugs and mount system with 3-hole receiver
— horizontal hex rod mounts are more limited to lateral movement but still allow for flexible positioning
— etc.

Ultimately, believe your decision is going to come down to having a weighted list of your priorities and making a personal judgment call. There most likely isn’t a single silver bullet here that will drive the decision to any one kit, and any direct experiences we have with sound and feel may subjectively steer you in the wrong direction.

Botiarazman

I can only compare the Sonor AQ2 to the Tama Superstar Classic and Yamaha Stage Custom first-hand. They are all fine kits and don’t believe you can go wrong with any of them. The AQ2 is more refined in some areas, but trying to convey “how much more” in objective terms is tough without knowing what parameters are of importance to you and the relative priority of each.

Sound and feel are very subjective and I presume you’ve already listened to some minimally processed, room/distant miked recordings of these kits? so here’s some thoughts on other aspects to consider...

Cost seems to be a driving factor and the AQ2 seems to pushing a limit so what about:

— 10-lug vs 8-lug 22” bass drums or 8-lug vs 6-lug 16” floor toms for more tuning control?
(note: all the 16” floor toms noted below have 8-lugs a side so that’s positive)
— durability of shell hardware or finish (wrap vs lacquer) for gigging?
— flexibility or preferences for different tom mounts?
— mount vs no-mount bass drums?
— shell depth preferences?
— options for future add-on drums?
— other aspects?

Since you like the AQ2 White Pearl wrap finish and it’s less expensive than the lacquer options, let’s use it for some base comparisons with pricing from Thomann:

Sonor AQ2 5-piece in WHP
— 998 EUR
— 10-lug 22” bass
— lower profile tom mounts (Smart Mount)
— split-ball 4000 series tom holders allow both vertical & lateral positioning of the hex L-rods
— etc.

Mapex Armory 6-piece in UM
— 999 EUR
— 8-lug 22” bass
— no-mount bass
— similar hex L-rod Tom holders to Sonor but no split-ball... though housing allows for a slighter greater horizontal ball rotation
— etc.

Tama Superstar Classic 7-piece
— 1111 EUR
— 8-lug 22” bass
— wrap and lacquer finishes available
— standard round 10.5mm L-rod tom holders with typical Tama rock solid stability
— etc.

Yamaha Stage Custom 5-piece
— 675 EUR
— 8-lug 22” bass
— bullet-proof, time-tested absolute lugs and mount system with 3-hole receiver
— horizontal hex rod mounts are more limited to lateral movement but still allow for flexible positioning
— etc.

Ultimately, believe your decision is going to come down to having a weighted list of your priorities and making a personal judgment call. There most likely isn’t a single silver bullet here that will drive the decision to any one kit, and any direct experiences we have with sound and feel may subjectively steer you in the wrong direction.
My favourite of the four is definitely the aq2, but the question is if the extra 2-300 euros are justified... I don't know and can't really decide if it's worth it, that's why I asked it here...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I know it's subjective, but still, which one did you like the most? And which one seemed the most durable?

Durability shouldn't even be an issue as long as you take care of your gear. Drums don't just fall apart unless they are abused. If it eases your concern, I have a kit thats cased right now, but is about 46-47 years old. It could be uncased and played with no issues.

Get the kit that visually floats your boat, then take care of it. You are way overthinking this.

Botiarazman

Durability shouldn't even be an issue as long as you take care of your gear. Drums don't just fall apart unless they are abused. If it eases your concern, I have a kit thats cased right now, but is about 46-47 years old. It could be uncased and played with no issues.

Get the kit that visually floats your boat, then take care of it. You are way overthinking this.
Well... It's kinda a big decision. But okay...