Manufacturing error or something else?

Frosticles

Silver Member
Had this happen last weekend :( Mortified. Heard it go off mid set. First cymbal break for 20 years & the cymbal has had only light use really :(
To me, looks like a manufacturing fault to go in that place & that pattern?

Thoughts.......

fullsizeoutput_e7d by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

johnwesley

Silver Member
Odd for sure. Depending on how long you've had the cymbal, you might contact the maker or take it back where you purchased for replacement. You were just playing and it cracked?

Frosticles

Silver Member
Had the cymbal about 4 months now. I bought the set second hand though but they were all unused.
Just normal playing & I don't hit my cymbals hard or at daft angles. Just heard the change of tone half way through.

ZildjianLover

I would say that it is most likely a manufacturing error pertaining to the hammering or lathing. The tension of the top and bottom of the cymbal has to be relatively consistent across the body in order for the vibrations from playing it to disperse across the cymbal without just staying in one part of it, so inconsistencies with the strength or placement of the hammer marks can compromise the integrity of the cymbal. I learned this the hard way when I did a light re-hammering job on a 14" ZBT Crash without looking at guides on how to do it, and sure enough, it developed a crack in roughly the same spot as the one on your cymbal.

Just out of curiosity, what model is this cymbal? It looks like it had been a beautiful cymbal before it croaked on you.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It's possibly a stress fracture. Was the cymbal being stored with other cymbals pressing strongly against it? That pressure can cause a stray crack that doesn't follow the grooves, often near the bell as with yours.

I had a few cymbals and hats crack that way because I transported them improperly. :(

Bermuda

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Neither a cymbal smith nor metallurgist am I, b ut I'm thinking playing would cause it to break along a lathe line. To me that looks like a fault in the metal. back to the store for a warranty check, or a photo by email to the manufacturer.

Frosticles

Silver Member
It's possibly a stress fracture. Was the cymbal being stored with other cymbals pressing strongly against it? That pressure can cause a stray crack that doesn't follow the grooves, often near the bell as with yours.

I had a few cymbals and hats crack that way because I transported them improperly. :(

Bermuda

This I have never thought about. Definitely food for thought. I do tend to clamp them down quite tightly for transporting both in vans & aircraft. I do use foam liners between cymbals & the clamp is plastic. I will loosen it off from now on & see what happens.
Many thanks :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
Neither a cymbal smith nor metallurgist am I, b ut I'm thinking playing would cause it to break along a lathe line. To me that looks like a fault in the metal. back to the store for a warranty check, or a photo by email to the manufacturer.

That is my thinking also, Every other cymbal that has cracked has always followed the groove.

I may make an O-Zone out of it now.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
This I have never thought about. Definitely food for thought. I do tend to clamp them down quite tightly for transporting both in vans & aircraft. I do use foam liners between cymbals & the clamp is plastic. I will loosen it off from now on & see what happens.
Many thanks :)

The damage is more a case of the bells of different size cymbals not nesting with each other, with the bell pushing against whatever part of the adjacent cymbal it touches. In a hard case with a single post, the cymbal bells align and it shouldn't be an issue.

My damage came specifically from a various size cymbals - 14-22" - being slipped into a fairly tight slot and pressing against each other.

Bermuda

Frosticles

Silver Member
The damage is more a case of the bells of different size cymbals not nesting with each other, with the bell pushing against whatever part of the adjacent cymbal it touches. In a hard case with a single post, the cymbal bells align and it shouldn't be an issue.

My damage came specifically from a various size cymbals - 14-22" - being slipped into a fairly tight slot and pressing against each other.

Bermuda

I do use a Hardcase with the single post & always make sure the cymbals are placed "In order" Been doing this for decades now so am thinking it just could be a rogue cymbal?
Did buy the set second hand but they were all unused so as far as any warranty goes then I won't have a leg to stand on. I will experiment with it & try to make some sort of interesting O-Zone from it. If it works then great. If not, then I haven't lost anything trying :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
What caused it to discolor along the crack?

I have absolutely no idea & find this strange. I heard it go mid set. It isn't discoloured on the top of the cymbal, just the bottom.