Manu Katche model snare drum?

R2112

Silver Member
Pretty sure they made a 6.5 in that model too. I've only ever seen one of them in a music store in the late 90's, and I'm pretty sure the one I saw was a 6.5.

Yes, it appears Yamaha made two depths, 5.5 and 6.5. If I go with one of these snares I think I'm leaning more towards the 5.5. I feel the 5.5 is a more versatile depth.

RacingBeat

Beautiful drum RB! Can you provide the specs on your snare? Model, size...etc.

Why thank ya sir,

Actually it's nothing rare, just the straight up brass snare from the 2000's era. Here is a pic from a 2009 catalog, and gee what's that listed right above it, (for more money!)

5.5x14, I would like to get the 6.5 and also one of the copper ones. Just a terrific drum, got to love Yamaha

Attachments

• IMG_1824.jpg
    IMG_1824.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 1,146

R2112

Silver Member
Why thank ya sir,

Actually it's nothing rare, just the straight up brass snare from the 2000's era. Here is a pic from a 2009 catalog, and gee what's that listed right above it, (for more money!)

5.5x14, I would like to get the 6.5 and also one of the copper ones. Just a terrific drum, got to love Yamaha

Thanks for that great info RB!!

R2112

Silver Member
A few other questions I have for anyone who knows....

I'm wondering if Yamaha actually made the Manu shells in house? Also, I've read that some say they were seamed shells and some say they were seamless. Then some say they were both seamed and seamless depending on which years they were made.

I guess I'm just a nerd for details lol.

Drum Mer

Platinum Member
So regarding the Manu Katché signature (and your answer right away R2112 ��)

The first generation Manu comes with zinc die-cast hoops on top and bottom. As they did in that era. The lighter aluminum hoops (also on top and bottom) came with the second and third generation later.

The Manu came in 3 generations:

Yamaha_ManuKatche_web.jpg

The first generation was a seamless model and only came in 5,5 and had the old recording custom lugs.

pt9urivxja1jiioetroj.jpg

The second generation also featured a 6.5 and was seamless too.

Manu-Katch%C3%A9-Signature-Snare-DrumsCult.jpg

The third generation sported a seam.

Yamaha always had the inward seam, up until the new Recording Custom snares that sported the out bounded seam, like Ludwig.

I owned the first generation myself. Great snare of my hero (the reason I started with drums and my love for Yamaha too)

The 5,5 model works best in the highest tunings, like Manu does.

Last edited:

R2112

Silver Member
So regarding the Manu Katché signature (and your answer right away R2112 ��)

The first generation Manu comes with zinc die-cast hoops on top and bottom. As they did in that era. The lighter aluminum hoops (also on top and bottom) came with the second and third generation later.

The Manu came in 3 generations:

$_1.JPG

The first generation was a seamless model and only came in 5,5 and had the old recording custom lugs.

pt9urivxja1jiioetroj.jpg

The second generation also featured a 6.5 and was seamless too.

Manu-Katch%C3%A9-Signature-Snare-DrumsCult.jpg

The third generation sported a seam.

Yamaha always had the inward seam, up until the new Recording Custom snares that sported the out bounded seam, like Ludwig.

I owned the first generation myself. Great snare of my hero (the reason I started with drums and my love for Yamaha too)

The 5,5 model works best in the highest tunings, like Manu does.

Thank you so much for the info Wes!!

D

drumming sort of person

I wish they still made these. I'd have one as my main "go-to" snare.

If you get one of the new Brass Recording Custom snares and put zinc die cast hoops on it, you'll have the same thing (but it won't be black/nickel plated).

R2112

Silver Member
I contacted Yamaha learned some great info and background on the Manu sig snare today! As Wes mentioned earlier, Yamaha made both seamed and seamless versions. The way to tell one from the other (besides the obvious way by looking for a seam) is by the serial number. If the serial number has an "A" after the 455 or 465 numbers then it's a seamed shell.

I learned more cool things about the Manu sig snare and also some cool things about the new Recording Custom Brass snares as well...and how that due to certain differences in shell construction and different aluminum die cast rim material that Yamaha uses now, the Manu sig snare and the new RC Brass snares will probably not sound the same.

Yep, geeking out pretty hard on this stuff now lol!

mpthomson

If you buy a standard Yam brass snare from the 90s then that is an MK signature just with different hoops on and minus the black nickel coating. That was the only difference.

Drum Mer

Platinum Member
Last edited:

R2112

Silver Member
If you buy a standard Yam brass snare from the 90s then that is an MK signature just with different hoops on and minus the black nickel coating. That was the only difference.

The 90's brass model SD4105/SD4106 and the SD455AMK/SD465AMK are exactly the same, only differences being the shell finish, strainer (the regular brass snare feauture the deluxe G type strainer and butt-end) and badge.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vrygwnmuq8s1lo/Foto 28-04-17 12 47 58.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpnkbhsflm5v018/Foto 28-04-17 12 48 23.jpg?dl=0

But the changes to find a used Manu are higher though.

Excellent info!! Thank you!

Very interesting indeed. It seems there's very little difference from the Yamaha brass snares and Manu sig snares that were being made around the same times. It seems the larger differences are between the previous Manu sig snares and the now newer released Recording Custom brass snares.

Dutch

Thank you so much for the info Wes!!

To add to Wes' info the first generation model number is SD-415MK, and its badge says "Limited Edition" whereas the second and third generations' badges say "Custom Model". I also think the vent hole position changed from the first to the second generation but I'm not sure of that. I own a SD-415MK and it's a fantastic snare.

Dutch

Dutch

I contacted Yamaha learned some great info and background on the Manu sig snare today! As Wes mentioned earlier, Yamaha made both seamed and seamless versions. The way to tell one from the other (besides the obvious way by looking for a seam) is by the serial number. If the serial number has an "A" after the 455 or 465 numbers then it's a seamed shell.

I learned more cool things about the Manu sig snare and also some cool things about the new Recording Custom Brass snares as well...and how that due to certain differences in shell construction and different aluminum die cast rim material that Yamaha uses now, the Manu sig snare and the new RC Brass snares will probably not sound the same.

Yep, geeking out pretty hard on this stuff now lol!

Not to sound too pedantic but the addition of A was to the model number, not the serial number. So for the 5.5" version the three successive model numbers were:

SD-415MK
SD-455MK
SD-455AMK

The 6.5" has only had two models: the SD-465MK and the SD-465AMK.

Dutch

R2112

Silver Member
To add to Wes' info the first generation model number is SD-415MK, and its badge says "Limited Edition" whereas the second and third generations' badges say "Custom Model". I also think the vent hole position changed from the first to the second generation but I'm not sure of that. I own a SD-415MK and it's a fantastic snare.

Dutch

Not to sound too pedantic but the addition of A was to the model number, not the serial number. So for the 5.5" version the three successive model numbers were:

SD-415MK
SD-455MK
SD-455AMK

The 6.5" has only had two models: the SD-465MK and the SD-465AMK.

Dutch

Wow! Thanks for that excellent info Dutch!! I'm very interested in either the first or second edition seamless 5.5. I believe the Manu Sig snare in this video is a first edition. It sounds great!

https://youtu.be/h-27kRnEtRg?t=3m34s

Now, my only problem is......finding one for sale lol!

Dutch

Wow! Thanks for that excellent info Dutch!! I'm very interested in either the first or second edition seamless 5.5. I believe the Manu Sig snare in this video is a first edition. It sounds great!

https://youtu.be/h-27kRnEtRg?t=3m34s

Now, my only problem is......finding one for sale lol!

Yup, that's the first generation, a SD-415MK. You're correct you don't see them much for sale, I think Wes shared a document in another thread that shows the first generation was only made between September and October 1990 in a very limited run. Wes, can you chime in please?

Dutch

P.S. Before you ask; sorry, but I'll never sell mine!

R2112

Silver Member
Yup, that's the first generation, a SD-415MK. You're correct you don't see them much for sale, I think Wes shared a document in another thread that shows the first generation was only made between September and October 1990 in a very limited run. Wes, can you chime in please?

Dutch

P.S. Before you ask; sorry, but I'll never sell mine!

Wow! That is limited. I guess finding a first generation would be very difficult to find.

Ha, well the thought of asking you had crossed my mind ;-)

R2112

Silver Member
So, the next question is...are there any noticeable sonic differences between the three different editions of the Manu Sig?

Dutch

So, the next question is...are there any noticeable sonic differences between the three different editions of the Manu Sig?

Sorry, can't help you there.. I've only ever known the SD-415MK so can't tell how it compares to the later models. Frankly I wouldn't expect the differences to be major since the shells are always black-nickeled brass of the same thickness but maybe I'm underestimating the other differences.

Dutch