Man, I'd forgotten what a powehouse Stewart Copeland was...

M

Matt Bo Eder

Heck yeah! I saw them play at Dodger Stadium in June of 2007 (when Foo Fighters opened) and that guy is so tall, he has no problem smashing into things!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've never seen Copeland play in person.

Although once he came into West LA Music when I was working there.

Yeah, he is tall. He makes me feel short, and I'm 6'2"

I still love his drumming on the original version of 'Don't Stand So Close to Me".

mikel

Platinum Member
What a drummer, my all time favorite.

Saw the Police at the old Mayfair in Newcastle in the late 70s just before they hit the big time. Copeland was jaw dropping. So much energy, power and precision, but more importantly, so much feel and swing. Those odd accents, fills and rhythms inspired me to buy my first ever drum kit the following weekend.

Icetech

Gold Member
I have watched a few of his long interviews recently and that made me a fan of his.. just a awesome guy. and funny..

NVIC

What a drummer, my all time favorite.

Saw the Police at the old Mayfair in Newcastle in the late 70s just before they hit the big time. Copeland was jaw dropping. So much energy, power and precision, but more importantly, so much feel and swing. Those odd accents, fills and rhythms inspired me to buy my first ever drum kit the following weekend.
Curious as to what brand you bought? Or how much cash outlay did he inspire? Lol...

mikel

Platinum Member
Curious as to what brand you bought? Or how much cash outlay did he inspire? Lol...
Nice one. I bought used as cash was tight. I scored for an old Rodgers 5 piece. To my eternal shame I must admit I took off the bottom heads and lugs and made them into power toms!!! Also removing the grey pearl finish so I could cover them with black wrap. I wish I had that kit now cos despite my best efforts it sounded great.

Souljacker

Silver Member
I have watched a few of his long interviews recently and that made me a fan of his.. just a awesome guy. and funny..
His recent appearance at Tamas 40th anniversary was hilarious.

As you say, he is funny and has some interesting stories beside the Police too. His dad was a CIA agent involved in bribing Arab leaders (or something to that extent) to suit the USAs economic interests. His time in the Middle East helped shape his playing style.

Skrivarna

Yes, it seems his playing style -- very inspiring, personal, complex and funny -- very closely reflects him as a person. Always enjoyable.

Frank

Gold Member
I never had the pleasure of catching him live, but he has been one of my favorite drummers.

I usually don't watch or notice too many drummers. Too many non musical technicians and bashers out there. But he is a very musical, artistic player. It's always a joy to listen to his work.

Frank

Gold Member
You just sold a copy of
The Police: Certifiable - Live In Buenos Aires.

I gotta have video from that tour. I missed the tour, and I never caught up to what it sounded like. Sounds awesome to me.

steadypocket

Gold Member
His autobiography Strange Things Happen is a great read. One of the most creative drummers ever and oh, that blue sparkle kit he used on the reunion tour!!! Should have picked up one of the replica kits.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
A buddy of mine picked up one of the Copeland replica kits. He even decked it out with Copeland's Paiste cymbals. Very cool set to play on. He of course later sold it and had DW make him a custom Carmine Appice replica kit. He also later sold that kit as well. He has lots of money...

knopflerfan

I've been a big fan of the Police and Copeland since day one. Very inventive and singular style. Thanks for the link.

Skrivarna

A buddy of mine picked up one of the Copeland replica kits. He even decked it out with Copeland's Paiste cymbals. Very cool set to play on. He of course later sold it and had DW make him a custom Carmine Appice replica kit. He also later sold that kit as well. He has lots of money...
I have always wondered if anyone actually buys those sets, because most "real" drummers have pretty strong opinions on how their kits should be configured. Now I know.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Thank you for sharing this video of Stewart Copeland. Fun to watch.
I noticed he was wearing gloves while playing with his traditional grip.

I tried playing with gloves for the first time this last weekend. It was an outdoor gig in 45 degree weather. I also play traditional grip.
The glove worked fine for my right hand. But I did not like it on my left hand. I had trouble feeling the ghost notes on my left hand.
It was OK for banging out the 2 & 4 back beat. But I was missing the feeling of the drum stick while playing the softer notes with my left hand.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member

We'll know he's incurable when he orders the Bozzio kit.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
We'll know he's incurable when he orders the Bozzio kit.
He picked up 2 Gretsch Steve Ferrone Signature kits and had one up on eBay just recently. He has had a number of signature kits in his history of buying and selling kits. I'm guessing he must get a good deal on them if he can afford to buy and sell time and time again. No sane person could buy and sell as many kits as he has while losing money every time.

Skrivarna

He has had a number of signature kits in his history of buying and selling kits. I'm guessing he must get a good deal on them if he can afford to buy and sell time and time again.
But even then I don't see the point? It takes some time to learn how to play a new kit to really appreciate it.

I think that if you love drums you might want to try a lot of them, but even more you'd like to really get to know each drum so that it will sound its best.