Mallets for quieter playing??

no talent

Ok, my promark rods just keep breaking at different lengths and the sticks catch when im playing my hi hats. I need rods for quieter, small venues. My question is, are mallets quiet like rods? Im thinking about getting the 2 sided stick/mallet type. has anyone played them and noticed a volume difference from rods or soft playing with sticks? i dont want to spend 20 bucks to find out they are not quieter than sticks.
thanks guys

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
It depends on the mallet, but in general they sound nothing like a stick or multi-rod. They also aren't balanced like a stick, so they feel considerably different too. And last, but not least, you can pretty much forget playing the ride cymbal.

If you need quiet I'd suggest adding some muffling to the drum, playing thinner or maple sticks, or both. If you're breaking rods it sounds like either your hi hat could be set a little lower so you're hitting on the top of the cymbal instead of the edge, or you're just hitting too hard in general.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Mallets are a different animal.

Rods are too in a way, though the tala wands do rebound a lo better than other rods.

I have to mention though that the "breaking" is what caught my eye the most in your post.

Yes, it's harder to play soft if you're not used to it, but a light maple stick should give anyone all the help they need.

My standard sticks are quite heavy. I can control them dynamically just fine, but when just consistently having to play softer and be able to play back beats with comfortable technique I use my Erskine Ride sticks.

As mentioned, some maple sticks like e.g. Todd Sucherman's signature sticks, HD4, SD2? might be good.

no talent

i tried lighter, maple sticks 7A jazz but they really cut through too much and if i back off, i dont like the weak sound my snare makes and the change in quiet playing style doesnt allow me to really swing freely the the way i have for 30 plus years. i must have 20 pairs of broken rods, they last a little while but the price is killing me. are the mallets on the quieter side? if they are, they may be a better lasting alternative to rods. Also, my thunder rods done break, the small and medium ones snap a rod at different lengths here and there.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've got some Zildjian mallets.
They're good for doing cymbal swells and rolls, but wouldn't work good for regular quiet playing.
Probably your best bet is to work on your technique.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's easy for me too to default back to technique as your issue doesn't really make sense to me.

There are offocurse all sorts of plastic rods and heavier brushes that might be an option.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm at a loss too. If you want to be quiet but you aren't willing to back off on how hard you hit I'm not too sure there is much else to say.

Just go buy some mallets and see if they work for you.