Making Some Progress

ZenR1

I've only started playing about 3 months ago. I recently was able to nail my first full length cover with some transcriptions I found online at The Drum Ninja. It was "Hey You" by Pink Floyd, one of my favorite bands. I then went on to learn "In Bloom" by Nirvana and shortly nailed it as well.

Feeling pretty good about myself I decided to tackle Led Zeppelin cover of Rock and Roll. I'll just say it's not going as well as the last two covers. ? Holy crap that John Bonham is something else. ?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

sweet!!! I remember your first posts!!!

Feel free to post videos in the "your Playing" section if you want.

Love to hear about progress

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Rock and Roll is a tough song! That intro confuses most drummers and the double handed (unisons) on the snare and hats are very fast.

Attempting songs that may be a little too difficult can teach you what your weaknesses are, so it's never a waste of your time.

Maybe try a 6/8 tune like "since I've been loving you"

Or Gary Moore - Still got the blues

ZenR1

sweet!!! I remember your first posts!!!

Feel free to post videos in the "your Playing" section if you want.

Love to hear about progress
I'm starting to look into getting some basic recording equipment so I can create videos. I'm on a Roland v-drums kit so maybe like an iRig or something I can use with my phone.

ZenR1

Rock and Roll is a tough song! That intro confuses most drummers and the double handed (unisons) on the snare and hats are very fast.

Attempting songs that may be a little too difficult can teach you what your weaknesses are, so it's never a waste of your time.

Maybe try a 6/8 tune like "since I've been loving you"

Or Gary Moore - Still got the blues
I got the intro down perfectly. Actually I have most of the song, except for the solo at the end, which I haven't gotten to yet. I just need to practice more. I basically break the song up into parts and work on each successive part and all of the little permutations within each part (Bonham does some funky stuff in that song). Utilizing youtube's playback speed function to slow everything down is very helpful.

What I do is, when I'm comfortable with each part, I then work on playing the whole thing through.

Rock and Roll is a great song to work on maintaining correct stroke technique; it's very fast any you're forced to use your wrists and let stick height create the force for the accented and loud notes because if you use your arms you fatigue very quickly.

Last edited: