Making a case for the tune-bot

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I like technology to check my hearing and I go to Tune-bot site to use calculator all the time but I have a freebie pitch phone app and drum dial. It suffices for my purposes but Xmas is coming up and it’s a terrific idea for family gift list. I like gadgets that make thing easier.
My only concern ,or dare I say protest , is it “ain’t no bot” but just useful technology. So “Tune Supreme” is the new code word -else you could have a Bot revolution.

Quai34

I never clamp it on one location on the hoop. I prefer to place it over each lug. I get super-accurate results this way. The bottom head is placed flat on a towel for muting. This applies to bass drum, too.
I do that too but not with the towel because I have 3 wanted in the kit and I want to see if the tuning from them are far enough to not get too much snare wires resonance. But, as a keys player, it has been an really valuable tool that taught me, well, no, that helped me a lot to apply the Infos on how to tune a drums kit that I had learnt online and with friends.... I was never sure of my ears without it because I was trying immediately to have intervals between head and between Toms and snares!!!! Just because it was all I had understood and gathered online!! So, the tune not method gave me, not only a tool but a pathway to liking a lot tuning my drums now and to know what to look for when I'm not happy with what I'm hearing. In 3 tunings, with the tune bot, each thing being 3 hours, ok, I was able form scratch to get great tunings, my drummers friends told me that. Ok, I had hours of watching videos but I did get few wrong try!!! And in of them was because my snare side head was broken from too much tension without it!!!
Well. I love it too.

Quai34

I love my Tune Bot. I think it great for helping repeatability of a favorite tuning, but it's really good for helping you find something new.

Over the years I think we all tend to fall into a particular formula for getting "our sound" but I've surprised myself a few times by punching in a new set of parameters into the tuning generator and liking that sound even more.

I've spent a lot less money on new drum heads since buying the Tune Bot and now I get most of my "new" sounds by just trying out different tunings.
Trying out some of the tunings on the Tune Bot Artists' page is a lot of fun too. There are some really interesting combinations in some of those tunings, and even if they don't quite sound great on my drums it's interesting nonetheless.
Agreed, I used a lot the tuning of Dennis chambers as well as the 4 types of snares in the blog section.

yammyfan

I can't take credit for this but here's an awesome spreadsheet that I use to calculate tunings. It is an amazing resource.

I changed the file extension to .txt in order to upload it. Once you have downloaded the file you must change the extension back to .xlsx to use it.

Make sure that you're able to view file extensions - they're hidden by default in most version of Windows.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Tune-Bot Interactive Tuning Guide V1.1 - Copy.txt
    38.5 KB · Views: 26
I had a look at that sheet and I'm a bit confused, because it also includes the bass drum. How do you attach the tune bot to a thick wood hoop?
While we're at it: am I the only one who has problems with thin snare resonant heads?

yammyfan

Attach it to a drum stick and lay the drumstick on the bass drum hoop.
That works. I find it just as easy to hold the device in one hand and tap/tune with the other.

As far as snare side heads go, they're trickier but the filter button works well in that situation. Like bass drum heads, I'll hold the tuner in one hand and move from lug to lug, tuning as needed. With a bit of practice it becomes just about as easy to tune bass drums and snares as it is to tune rack and floor toms.

ricky

I have a quick question regarding the tunebot, figured I'd put it here:

Have any of you noticed that the fundamental is not what it's "supposed" to be?

For example, I just tuned my 16" floor tom to 134 on top and bottom, which according to their calculator, is supposed to be a D#, but it came out as C#. Prior to that, I had tried for a C# tuning at medium res, which is 115 top and 123 bottom, but it came out as a B note, and sounded pretty awful, btw.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed anything like that, and why might this happen?

BonsaiMagpie

I have a quick question regarding the tunebot, figured I'd put it here:

Have any of you noticed that the fundamental is not what it's "supposed" to be?

For example, I just tuned my 16" floor tom to 134 on top and bottom, which according to their calculator, is supposed to be a D#, but it came out as C#. Prior to that, I had tried for a C# tuning at medium res, which is 115 top and 123 bottom, but it came out as a B note, and sounded pretty awful, btw.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed anything like that, and why might this happen?
Is the depth of your tom similar to what it states in their tuning manual. Their 16" tom is 13" deep. If yours is 15 or 16 then you will get a different result.

Club Date

Just got the latest model a couple of months ago and it’s absolutely helped my snare and drum set sounds. My older Drum Dial was helpful for getting things in the ballpark but this is way, way better. Excellent tech!

Justinhub2003

Drum Expert
I own a tune not as well as an app that does something similar.
But I just don’t use them.

I tried using them. But I just felt better tuning by feel. I don’t think I’m elite at tuning but I have gotten way better. And I’d only get better by practicing

JDFaulky

I own a TuneBot and I think they're fantastic for tuning toms and getting the lugs evenly pitched, but for some reason I get terrible results when using it on a snare drum (especially the snare side head). I can crank the head as high as possible yet the TuneBot will read it at very low. Still don't understand that so I simply just don't use it on my snare.