Making a Bass drum snappy

trysthedrummer

If you've got some sense cutting a hole in the bass drum is a piece of cake, - but I recomenned buying one of thise HOLZ (like this for example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOLZ-BASS-DRUM-OS-6-CHROME_W0QQitemZ260318914206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ?hash=item260318914206&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50)

...to finish the job off. All you do is draw around the hole and then cut out with a penknife/stanley knife.

It does make a difference because with no hole you get a much boomier sound than letting it breathe by cutting a 6" hole in it if that's what you're after!

LeeLovesSabian

Silver Member
If you've got some sense cutting a hole in the bass drum is a piece of cake, - but I recomenned buying one of thise HOLZ (like this for example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOLZ-BASS-DRUM-OS-6-CHROME_W0QQitemZ260318914206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ?hash=item260318914206&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50)

...to finish the job off. All you do is draw around the hole and then cut out with a penknife/stanley knife.
It seems like a drum-head wouldn't be able to handle that.

T

TheArchitect

It does make a difference because with no hole you get a much boomier sound than letting it breathe by cutting a 6" hole in it if that's what you're after!
Actually you put the back part of the HOLZ on the head first. then cut out the inside and then snap the front side into place.

The plastic ring protects the hole from tearing.

Kothlow

Dont know if this helps, but I do it to all my bass drum reso heads with ease.

Clean your head of dirt/debris, lay it down on a cutting board at the position you want the hole. Turn the stove burner on high (be careful, wear an oven mitt) and place a can of the diameter you want on the burner, heating the edge up. When it is heated, your simply burning a hole in your head with the edge of the can. The peice then punches right out.

I then clean it up with my fingernail, .. its durable, because it leaves a very clean, rounded hole with the edges cauterized, adding strength.

I cant take credit for this, a drummer from another band once told me this. But it works!

drumhammerer

Silver Member
well, it would help to have 24" bass drums, too. That's what Lars used on that album. And, I agree with the clear ambassador. I just recently put one of those on my 24" kick, and it really gets that clicky, higher pitched, and articulate sound. The pre-muffled heads sound better because they get better low end and a punchier sound, but I hear my kick much better now because of the more distinct attack from the unmuffled heads. I was even able to put a pillow in my kick (which I haven't been able to do for years), and this sucker was still loud. Honestly, it's not the best kick sound, but it's nice not having to slam my kick to have it heard over heavy guitars. Plastic beaters and a Remo falam slam impact pad are also the way to go to get that clicky sound with volume. BTW, what batter head do you have on there right now?

mattyg@@

the only way you're gonna get that sound is with good mics and loads of EQ, compression, processing etc. you won't get that sound acoustically in a practice room