Major kit change up today!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I tried this several years ago but was unhappy because cable hats to me felt sluggish. When DW came out with the remote hi hat I thought I’d try it again but I didn’t want to drop $500 on a single hi hat!

Thanks to eBay I found a used DW9000 remote universal hi hat and I’m happy to say it works great!

Having the hats right in front of me is very cool. 98% of the time I’m on hat/snare/ bass anyway so I’m sure I’ll be able to deal with the 2% of tom fills I may need to play. So I think this will work out. The nice with having the Yamaha Crosstown hardware is that I can still carry my regular hi hat stand so if I need to go traditional, I can do that.

D8F73160-39B6-4ED1-A978-6A8E313D0F62.jpeg1A1ECEF5-A017-472C-A8E1-AB970796F983.jpegB1BF34CA-5C11-414F-8D5B-83F15EEB5551.jpeg

Killer lookin' rig there. Center hats. Love 'em. I vacillate between center and traditional placement, depending on what kit I have set up ...... but if I was "forced" to stick with one ..... it would be center. I'm using the DW9550 shaft drive unit. Like you, got one off eBay, for about 1/2 off. Cable technology has gotten a whole lot better, in the last decade. And I'm really, really happy with the DW shaft drive.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 23
Killer lookin' rig there. Center hats. Love 'em. I vacillate between center and traditional placement, depending on what kit I have set up ...... but if I was "forced" to stick with one ..... it would be center. I'm using the DW9550 shaft drive unit. Like you, got one off eBay, for about 1/2 off. Cable technology has gotten a whole lot better, in the last decade. And I'm really, really happy with the DW shaft drive.
There's a more 'relaxed' feeling to the center hi-hat too - not having an arm going across in front of me keeps me 'open' all the time. I just feel like my groove relaxes a bit more and I can give more to the music. If that makes any sense ;)

There's a more 'relaxed' feeling to the center hi-hat too - not having an arm going across in front of me keeps me 'open' all the time. I just feel like my groove relaxes a bit more and I can give more to the music. If that makes any sense ;)
Yeah ..... it's like playing open handed without having to reverse yourself. And besides, if it feels good ..... do it !!! :):):)
I've always been intrigued with it, ever since THIS GUY. 'cause I'm an old fart. Younger cats normally think of Danny Carey .... when the subject of center hats comes up. You might know Louie Palmer. (L.A. based) English chap. He's a center hat guy, also.

Attachments

• deb22ec96f42d972d42ac69d5435dae3.jpg
    deb22ec96f42d972d42ac69d5435dae3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 28
Yeah ..... it's like playing open handed without having to reverse yourself. And besides, if it feels good ..... do it !!! :):):)
I've always been intrigued with it, ever since THIS GUY. 'cause I'm an old fart. Younger cats normally think of Danny Carey .... when the subject of center hats comes up. You might know Louie Palmer. (L.A. based) English chap. He's a center hat guy, also.
Oh yeah - Bruford was one of my heroes since Yes' Fragile album! It was too bad he couldn't do center hi hat for his whole career, but it took alot of technological advancement before it became practical! I'll have to ask Stan at the shop who Louie Palmer is - he probably has his phone # ;)

That set up is cool but I've always been more partial to his 80s era KC set up with the rocket toms in the ride position. I LOVE the 80s KC stuff with Adrian Belew in general, I'm 31 so I'm not sure if that makes me a 'younger cat' or not haha.

I've been wanting to try Bruford's setup. Seems logical to me with minimal reach. I guess it gives me a reason to buy another piece of equipment, a remote hihat.

That set up is cool but I've always been more partial to his 80s era KC set up with the rocket toms in the ride position. I LOVE the 80s KC stuff with Adrian Belew in general, I'm 31 so I'm not sure if that makes me a 'younger cat' or not haha.
Well, it being you weren’t even BORN yet, you qualify. And the proper name for the ride toms is “octobans”. He also had a single “roto tom”, along with a “gong drum”. If it wasn’t for him, Simmons electronic drums wouldn’t have lived as long as they did.

How is the EAD10 handling all those toms on the right side of that kit? That's a cool rig.

I tried this several years ago but was unhappy because cable hats to me felt sluggish. When DW came out with the remote hi hat I thought I’d try it again but I didn’t want to drop $500 on a single hi hat!

Thanks to eBay I found a used DW9000 remote universal hi hat and I’m happy to say it works great!

Having the hats right in front of me is very cool. 98% of the time I’m on hat/snare/ bass anyway so I’m sure I’ll be able to deal with the 2% of tom fills I may need to play. So I think this will work out. The nice with having the Yamaha Crosstown hardware is that I can still carry my regular hi hat stand so if I need to go traditional, I can do that.

View attachment 95216View attachment 95217View attachment 95218

Oh man - I bet that's comfy. I've always to do that centered up hat thing - very cool man!!

How is the EAD10 handling all those toms on the right side of that kit? That's a cool rig.
Thanks. EAD10 is what it is. I'm "pushing it's range" here. My main complaint/annoyance is how hot the ride cymbal is. Course, if I move it ..... problem solved ..... but low and on the right is where I like it. Also, the ride pictured (Sabian 22" AA Apollo) is a bit overkill. I switched it out with one of my Sabian Vanguards, and it's a much better mix. Overall, I'm happy with the EAD. Got it used, ($360) ..... and I read a bunch of reviews before I bought it ..... so I knew it's quirks/limitations before I pulled the trigger.
I LOVE the 80s KC stuff with Adrian Belew in general, I'm 31 so I'm not sure if that makes me a 'younger cat' or not haha.
Makes you a younger cat with more "drum history" under your belt than most. 80's KC WAS cool. I saw them twice, early 80's. They forever musically damaged me. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
He also had a single “roto tom”, along with a “gong drum”. If it wasn’t for him, Simmons electronic drums wouldn’t have lived as long as they did.
Sometimes two or three roto's. Octobans, Simmons pads. Mixing Hayman and Ludwig drums together. I love Bruford's norm that there IS no norm. The Roto Tom bug bit me in the late 70's.

Attachments

• 35_20140610001453_1750243_large.jpg
    35_20140610001453_1750243_large.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 949_37052432383_3298_n.jpg
    949_37052432383_3298_n.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 12
  • 1 b.jpg
    1 b.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 9
Thanks. EAD10 is what it is. I'm "pushing it's range" here. My main complaint/annoyance is how hot the ride cymbal is. Course, if I move it ..... problem solved ..... but low and on the right is where I like it. Also, the ride pictured (Sabian 22" AA Apollo) is a bit overkill. I switched it out with one of my Sabian Vanguards, and it's a much better mix. Overall, I'm happy with the EAD. Got it used, ($360) ..... and I read a bunch of reviews before I bought it ..... so I knew it's quirks/limitations before I pulled the trigger.

Makes you a younger cat with more "drum history" under your belt than most. 80's KC WAS cool. I saw them twice, early 80's. They forever musically damaged me. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sometimes two or three roto's. Octobans, Simmons pads. Mixing Hayman and Ludwig drums together. I love Bruford's norm that there IS no norm. The Roto Tom bug bit me in the late 70's.

I may be 31 but I'm constantly told I'm an 'old soul' so yea, I guess you are correct. I listen to/study/have knowledge of everything from King Oliver to Wu Tang. I have such severe music ADD combined with obsession that I can barely finish a song before jumping to something of a completely different style and era. Drives my wife nuts lol. SO jealous that you got to see them, especially during that period. I also love Adrian's work with Talking Heads. That live in Rome set is one of my favorite live recordings ever.

Last edited:

Reminds me of Harry Miree's set up. He's using all kinds of "lefty-as-righty" pedals & cable hi-hat set up that works great for him.

Attachments

• Harry's kit.jpg
    Harry's kit.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 13
Back