Made X-hat out of spare parts

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I wanted an x-hat for a duo gig where I'm forced to play standing (bandstand is tiny) but didn't want to buy one for a gig I may only do once or twice next year. Time to rummage the junk box!

I have a couple of old Gibraltar stackers that I don't use one of which became the basis for the x-hat. For the rod that the clutch attaches to I used an old felt beater shaft with the beater removed. The top section of the stacker has two drum key screws that hold the bottom section (not shown). This will hold the hat rod. I removed the tilter section as it is not needed. This fits into a Gibraltar double ratchet clamp which can then be attached to an L-arm, boom arm or whatever. Add cymbal sleeve with felt and clutch and voila, instant x-hat! It works perfectly and doesn't look makeshift at all.

Attachments

• rsz_x-hatparts.jpg
    rsz_x-hatparts.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 114
  • rsz_x-hat2.jpg
    rsz_x-hat2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 109
  • rsz_x-hat.jpg
    rsz_x-hat.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 111
  • rsz_xhatstandingdrums.jpg
    rsz_xhatstandingdrums.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 111
  • rsz_standingkit.jpg
    rsz_standingkit.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

cutaway79

Silver Member
I wanted an x-hat for a duo gig where I'm forced to play standing (bandstand is tiny) but didn't want to buy one for a gig I may only do once or twice next year. Time to rummage the junk box!

I have a couple of old Gibraltar stackers that I don't use one of which became the basis for the x-hat. For the rod that the clutch attaches to I used an old felt beater shaft with the beater removed. The top section of the stacker has two drum key screws that hold the bottom section (not shown). This will hold the hat rod. I removed the tilter section as it is not needed. This fits into a Gibraltar double ratchet clamp which can then be attached to an L-arm, boom arm or whatever. Add cymbal sleeve with felt and clutch and voila, instant x-hat! It works perfectly and doesn't look makeshift at all.

Very nice! I love stuff like this.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Thanks! It's also possible to make it more like the real Gibraltar x-hat by leaving the tilter attached and installing the bottom section of the stacker to the threads making a short boom arm like so.

Attachments

• rsz_altxhat.jpg
    rsz_altxhat.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 94
  • rsz_1rsz_1altxhat2.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_1altxhat2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Mustion

Very nice, well done!

In highschool I did something similar albeit far less elegantly: I was really into a drummer that had a second, cable hi hat on the right, so in an attempt to imitate him I took the top tube & rod from another hihat and attached it with a multiclamp to a cymbal stand. I even put an Iron Cobra beater weight on the rod below the top hat to hold it in an "open" position... even so, I was mildly embarrassed by my half-assed imitation so imagine my surprise when years later I start seeing that very same thing being marketed as the next Necessary Gadget For Drummers...

gdmoore28

Gold Member
That's some excellent fabrication work, DrumDevil9. I have those exact parts lying in one of my spare parts cases. Naturally, I'll have to copy your idea!

Great work!

GeeDeeEmm

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Thanks, guys. I've had those stackers for years and didn't really use them much. Who knew they would come in handy.

Feel free to copy, gdmoore28. That's why I posted it!