Made a nice deal today

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Picked up a like new Tama Starphonic nickel plated brass snare for $310 at my local GC !! Man does it sound nice too. I've never had a brass snare before. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Cheers,
TW

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Pretty decent deal. That's a sharp looking snare too.
They had it mislabeled as a 6.5 chrome over brass. I'm not sure they knew what they had. Sales person told me it had just come in that day as a trade. I'm ecstatic with it. Gorgeous condition and it came with a lightly used Remo Ambassador too. Here's some pics.

Attachments

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Nice!! I'm liking shiny snares these days!
A great snare for a great kit.

Congrats !
Thanks guys, this is my budget buy used kit ($750 for B/B's)/snare ($310). All used stuff for the most part except for the stands which are Tama medium duty.

I can hardly tell the difference between the nickel shell and the chrome hoops/lugs but in the right light you can see a little difference in the shell tint. It took me 20 minutes to get all the fingerprints off of it. Worth it tho.

D

drumming sort of person

Sales person told me it had just come in that day as a trade.
You're lucky. Normally they need to keep instruments that have been brought in for a trade for at least 30 days before selling, just in case they're stolen goods.

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
Thanks guys, this is my budget buy used kit ($750 for B/B's)/snare ($310). All used stuff for the most part except for the stands which are Tama medium duty.

I can hardly tell the difference between the nickel shell and the chrome hoops/lugs but in the right light you can see a little difference in the shell tint. It took me 20 minutes to get all the fingerprints off of it. Worth it tho.
I wish I lived somewhere I could just go and pick up deals like that..!

Re: Nickel vs. chrome, here's a pic of my two (for the time being) Tama SLP snares. Left one is the nickel-plated Vintage Steel and right one being the chrome plated Super Aluminum. Subtle difference for sure!

Attachments

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I wish I lived somewhere I could just go and pick up deals like that..!

Re: Nickel vs. chrome, here's a pic of my two (for the time being) Tama SLP snares. Left one is the nickel-plated Vintage Steel and right one being the chrome plated Super Aluminum. Subtle difference for sure!
We have similar tastes! I have a SLP LAL 145 (love it, really snappy) and I've been watching a used Vintage Steel on reverb.com. Probably put that on the back burner now that I bought the starphonic brass. What kind of heads are you using on those? I use a coated Remo PS3 on the LAL 145 and a Remo amabassador coated that came on the brass.

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
We have similar tastes! I have a SLP LAL 145 (love it, really snappy) and I've been watching a used Vintage Steel on reverb.com. Probably put that on the back burner now that I bought the starphonic brass. What kind of heads are you using on those? I use a coated Remo PS3 on the LAL 145 and a Remo amabassador coated that came on the brass.
The LAL is a very cool snare, I just got it last week (re: my thread). I put an Evans PCRD on it which gave it a little more punch. The Steel still has the original Tama branded G1 it came with when I bought it new earlier this spring.

While these two snares look similar they perform very differently. The Aluminum has a middy, funky sound and tons of snare involvement, while the Steel has a more 'scooped' and "shell'y" tone and gives the impression of a louder drum (mine's a limited edition 6,5", so it has more low end). The snare beds on these two snares are very different as well, with the aluminum's bed being shallow and the steel having a "Pringle chip" contour to the bottom edge. The aluminum also has the extended "lip" on the inward flanges, but I have no idea if and how that would contribute to the tone. Both very cool snares!