MacGuyver tips and tricks??

I have a bunch of awesome cymbals but only one stand. I've got a little bit of hardware from the Premier kit such as the rack Tom mount that goes on the kick drum and a doodad I will post a pic of. I can't really afford to buy a few stands. I can probably squeeze one or two into our budget but only if I can get them dirt cheap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know next to nothing about kits other than the way they sound.

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_083621894.jpg
    IMG_20221129_083621894.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20221129_083635397.jpg
    IMG_20221129_083635397.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 51

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
That doodad is a multiclamp. You can clamp one side to a stand and put a tube thing (tom arm/cymbal boom/percussion mount) in the other.

To add a cymbal, use the clamp and one of these:

20221129_085252.jpg

jda

those tom stands- one for sure-and maybe the other-
where's the bass drum? the multi clamp - and short piece- may have hung the floor tom off a cymbal stand.
The double tom post goes in the bass drum (I haven't ? seen yet?
and see suspended floor tom->
sryluisdemovlu65ynzu.jpg

with clamp and short post
I had a set (my second Premier set) like that for a few years
See- no legs on floor tom- it's suspended.

where's the bass drum? the multi clamp - and short piece- may have hung the floor tom off a cymbal stand.
sryluisdemovlu65ynzu.jpg

The Premier is an extra kit that was donated to me. The kit I am going to use is a 5 piece Tama Rockstar that a Marine (once a Marine, always a Marine) gave me. He's the one who started the whole thing with people donating sets and hardware, etc. I will get better pictures. Even of the Premier kick drum.

The Rockstar kit is attached

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_003133428.jpg
    IMG_20221129_003133428.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 1
sryluisdemovlu65ynzu.jpg

I know I didn't set it up right. I just wanted to show you the entirety of the Premier kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_091841299.jpg
    IMG_20221129_091841299.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221129_091852272.jpg
    IMG_20221129_091852272.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221129_091905926.jpg
    IMG_20221129_091905926.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 49
I also have this thingamajig which Google told me its a demon drive?? For double bass on one kick drum?

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_091919837.jpg
    IMG_20221129_091919837.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 7

jda

I know I didn't set it up right. I just wanted to show you the entirety of the Premier kit.
yes; that third -big tom- hangs off a Cymbal Stand- like this 1st picture..
sryluisdemovlu65ynzu.jpg

index.php

with the multi-clamp and single arm
index.php

And nice Red
You need a heavy/medium/ duty Cymbal stand- 1
to 'hang the floor'..

yes; that third -big tom- hangs off a Cymbal Stand- like this 1st picture..
sryluisdemovlu65ynzu.jpg

index.php

with the multi-clamp and single arm
index.php

And nice Red
You need a heavy/medium/ duty Cymbal stand- 1
to 'hang the floor'..
Sweet! I can't thank you and the others for your help and guidance. I hope y'all don't get tired of my questions

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I also have this thingamajig which Google told me its a demon drive?? For double bass on one kick drum?
Haha no. Demon Drive is a Pearl kick pedal model. That is a Cannon Percussion pedal.

To fix it, the chain end goes with the screw on the footboard. It goes underneath the footboard however, not on top.

Under the footboard is a wire thingy. This is a radius rod. The ends of it plug into a hole on either side of the pedal frame.

I see no beater holder.

opentune

Platinum Member
Not sure where you live, but if you hunt used sites like craigslist daily, you can sometimes find cheap single braced cymbal stands for as little as $10 or 20. Same with bass drum pedals and many doodads/clamps/extenders.
Used hardware is one place you can save on when getting a kit together.

timmdrum

Silver Member
All tips above are solid, @LonestarSapper . Your largest Premier tom is a "hanging floor" tom, in that it doesn't have legs, but in traditional setups, would still mount off a cymbal stand in a typical floor tom (i.e. with legs) position using the multi-clamp and tom holder that you showed in your pic in the top post, as in @Drum Mer 's post above this one. Both my gig kit (on a rack) and rehearsal kit (on stands) have these. You'll find a lot of unfavorable opinions on them here on Drummerworld, but I like 'em. There's a trade-off; you sacrifice individual/easy positioning for a smaller/cleaner footprint.

I look forward to seeing your progress with the setups and with your playing. Let the questions fly. Don't be embarrassed to ask anything. Everyone who ever started doing anything was a noob at the beginning. 💯

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Nothing too exotic but some ways to use Yamaha hardware:
By taking their tiered cymbal attachment and connecting into a straight stand, I cobbled this together.
Using a multi-clamp and the cowbell holder off a cymbal stand allows the positioning I like.
Turning the 3 holed receiver like this gives about an extra inch to extend the 13" tom over to the left a bit more.

thumbnail_IMG_4891.jpgYamaha cowbell holder.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4893.jpg

Last edited:

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
The DW Dog Bone is probably my easiest tool for McGuyvering things on the kit. It just does a lot to make the stage use so little.

All tips above are solid, @LonestarSapper . Your largest Premier tom is a "hanging floor" tom, in that it doesn't have legs, but in traditional setups, would still mount off a cymbal stand in a typical floor tom (i.e. with legs) position using the multi-clamp and tom holder that you showed in your pic in the top post, as in @Drum Mer 's post above this one. Both my gig kit (on a rack) and rehearsal kit (on stands) have these. You'll find a lot of unfavorable opinions on them here on Drummerworld, but I like 'em. There's a trade-off; you sacrifice individual/easy positioning for a smaller/cleaner footprint.

I look forward to seeing your progress with the setups and with your playing. Let the questions fly. Don't be embarrassed to ask anything. Everyone who ever started doing anything was a noob at the beginning. 💯
Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me. I look forward to sharing my progress. It will keep me motivated. My father used to say that I have a lot of quit in me. Lol been something I've been trying to change. I'm hoping to have my wife take a video of me messing around when I get the kit squared away. I am only able to work on it for short periods of time because I have a hernia that starts to bother me.

Not sure where you live, but if you hunt used sites like craigslist daily, you can sometimes find cheap single braced cymbal stands for as little as $10 or 20. Same with bass drum pedals and many doodads/clamps/extenders.
Used hardware is one place you can save on when getting a kit together.
I've been doing that. I'm just impatient lol. I've waited most of my life for a kit now I have one but not complete yet. So close yet so far away. Lol