Lyrics you just got wrong

SomeBadDrummer

My son is eight and AC/DC is his favourite band. When this song comes on the radio we both yell "THUNDER SHEEP". Up until last year he thought that they were the actual lyrics. His mum spoiled my fun by filling him in.
Your son has excellent taste in rock music! He and I are kindred spirits, I fell in love with the band when I was about 12 so he’s ahead of me in that regard.
But as Ricky used to say “Lucy you’re gonna have some ‘splainin’ to do” when he understands the oft misogynistic lyrics of some of the songs like big balls, night prowler and whole lot of Rosie. But nonetheless he has great taste in swamp blues with a fabulous back beat by Phil and undeniably genius guitar in Malcolm.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
And while researching the song I find out that Bruce Springsteen wrote & published the song a few years before Manfred Mann. The word is "deuce" and it's about a car. However, it was Mann's version that became a #1 hit.
Yes see the full lyrics in my post above.

PaisteGuy

Steely Dan FM

Proper Lyrics:
Give her some funked up muzak, she treats you nice
Feed her some hungry reggae, she'll love you twice.

Everytime I hear the first line:
Give her some ‘Phucked’ up music, she treats you nice....

rhumbagirl

I was 14 when I made the following lyrical mistake.

Song: Rush's "Tom Sawyer"
Incorrect lyric: "The spacy evazy gets by on you"
Correct lyric: "The space he invades he gets by on you"

Benthedrummer

Well, my story isn't so much about lyrics I've got wrong, but more the audience got our lyrics wrong.

When I was in the original music scene, one song we had was called "Drive".

In the chorus the lyrics went......"I feel, tired and weary and I want to go".

The audience would sing......."Garfield, tired and weary and I want to go".

We had a few crowd tell us during pack up that they genuinely thought it was "Garfield".

wildbill

Platinum Member
The lyrics in the original are crystal clear....

I'm not going to listen to that and ruin it. :ROFLMAO:
Lots of sites print what they think are the lyrics.

The best part of the song is interpreting it. Did you read the linked article?

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm not going to listen to that and ruin it. :ROFLMAO:
Lots of sites print what they think are the lyrics.

The part of the song is interpreting it. Did you read the linked article?
I read the article. The FBI must be pretty dim if they didn't try and look up the original lyrics. 30 months? Really?
That's galactically stupid detective work if you ask me.

There's no interpretation need on the original. Every word is crystal fn clear. It's about a really horny guy who misses his girl because he was out at sea, for 3 days that's all, and he's telling his bartender about it.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I read the article. The FBI must be pretty dim if they didn't try and look up the original lyrics. 30 months? Really?
That's galactically stupid detective work if you ask me.

There's no interpretation need on the original. Every word is crystal fn clear. It's about a really horny guy who misses his girl because he was out at sea, for 3 days that's all, and he's telling his bartender about it.

They weren't analysing the original. They were concerned with the Kingsman's version because it was going to corrupt the youth,
and after the lengthy investigation, the conclusion was that "The lyrics are "unintelligible at any speed." .
Maybe it's one of those 'you had to be there' type things.

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
I know someone who sang this to Ozzy from the time it was released until last year:
"I'm going off the rails on the gravy train"

She was shocked to learn it's crazy train. :ROFLMAO:

Ruok

Silver Member
Years ago I bought a Beatles songbook for Keys/Guitar. It was one of those books that simplified the chords for those of us who aren't good enough to play the real thing. I was reading the lyrics of She Said, She Said. I chuckled when I saw the line that was supposed to say, "Who put all those things in your head?" Instead, they wrote, "Who put all those thing in your hair?"

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
They weren't analysing the original. They were concerned with the Kingsman's version because it was going to corrupt the youth,
and after the lengthy investigation, the conclusion was that "The lyrics are "unintelligible at any speed." .
Maybe it's one of those 'you had to be there' type things.
The FBI's goal was to know what was being said. Why do they have to listen to it to do that? That's the worst possible way to go about it. The lyrics are in the public domain lol. I could have done it in 30 minutes. How they get there is irrevalent, as long as it's accurate. The words are easy to hear when you know what he's saying. By looking up the lyrics. I'm just saying that it's pretty dim-witted to give up and admit defeat without exploring that avenue.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Eagles : Take it to the limit, one more time.

My 6-yr. old confused self heard: Take it to the women, one more time.

jansara

HUHH!! Y'ALL!! AHHH GIVE IT! GIVE IT! YYY-Y-AAAA-A-A UHHHITMEHITMEHITME-HITMEONETIMEGOODGOD!! AAHHHH-HHGOODGODY'ALL!! ITSAZABBA AND-A UH! UH! UH! DOITTOMEDOITTOMEGIVEITTOMENOW!!!

James Brown, "Somewhere over the Rainbow"

Ruok

Silver Member
I remembered a couple more of my own misheard lyrics.

I thought Rhiannon by Fleewood Mac was Anna.
Carefree Highway by Gordon Lightfoot was Every Highway.

My bro thought My Eyes Adored You was My Sweet Georgia.

mrthirsty

I always thought the the part of Clapton's "Cocaine" where he sings

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie,
Cocaine.

was

She's so high, she's so high, she's so high
That's OK.