Lyrical meanings

KEEF

After a discussion with my band mates last night about the reason behind the title of Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4, I pointed out the common misconception of the meaning of the lyrics in Turning Japanese by the Vapours.

I received this from my singer this morning and it made me laugh so much I thought it was worth sharing....

Gents,
Let’s make a concerted effort to get more legitimate wanking songs in please as I feel cheated now after our wrongly attributed euphemism. When we introduce that now I’ll have to ask Terry “what is this song not about”.x

Anybody got any more wrongly attributed meanings??

Last edited:
I've always wondered if Betty Davis Eyes is about a stripper.

A: Ever since the release of “Chicago II” in early 1970, many Chicago fans have wondered about the meaning of “25 or 6 to 4.” Many interesting theories have been discussed throughout the last 30 years.

The most prominent theory is that the song title is a description of the chemical composition of the drug LSD. (It’s a rock song from the ’70s, so it’s got to be about drugs, right?) Another theory is that the title refers to route numbers on the Chicago Loop.

As interesting as these theories are, they’re both wrong. According to Robert Lamm, Chicago’s keyboardist and the writer of “25 or 6 to 4,” the song title refers to time.

In an interview, Lamm said that the song is about trying to write a song late at night. People who doubt this need only look at the lyrics: “Waiting for the break of day, Searching for something to say.” The words “25 or 6 to 4” represent 25 or 26 minutes to 4 in the morning, i.e. 3:35 or 3:34.

Watching this like a hawk. Be vey careful.

"Mother did it need to be so high?" in Pink Floyd's 'Mother' is not a drug reference but rather a reference to the wall Pink has built around himself; his first realization that he may be in trouble. The Wall is a great examination of Schizoid Personality Disorder.

A: Ever since the release of “Chicago II” in early 1970, many Chicago fans have wondered about the meaning of “25 or 6 to 4.” Many interesting theories have been discussed throughout the last 30 years.

The most prominent theory is that the song title is a description of the chemical composition of the drug LSD. (It’s a rock song from the ’70s, so it’s got to be about drugs, right?) Another theory is that the title refers to route numbers on the Chicago Loop.

As interesting as these theories are, they’re both wrong. According to Robert Lamm, Chicago’s keyboardist and the writer of “25 or 6 to 4,” the song title refers to time.

In an interview, Lamm said that the song is about trying to write a song late at night. People who doubt this need only look at the lyrics: “Waiting for the break of day, Searching for something to say.” The words “25 or 6 to 4” represent 25 or 26 minutes to 4 in the morning, i.e. 3:35 or 3:34.

OH MAN !! You ruined everything. Thanks........
Now I need to find some new song lyrics that have an interesting theory that can carry me through the last half of my life.

I don't think that "Mary Jane's Last Dance" is about weed, but a guitar player friend of mine insists that it is.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds has always baffled me.

And my relief was palpable when I learned the meaning to the lyrics of Strawberry Fields and Helter Skelter (and the song’s bonus ending by Ringo).

I won't spoil the party, but the guitarist said it can be about anything you want it to be.

Even lovers breaking up.....

While I did understand The Pot by Tool wasn't about pot right off the bat, when I was young and Tom Petty first came out, I mistakenly thought the name of the band was Dan & The Torpedos. Lol.

While I did understand The Pot by Tool wasn't about pot right off the bat, when I was young and Tom Petty first came out, I mistakenly thought the name of the band was Dan & The Torpedos. Lol.

Which would be a perfect name for a Tom Petty tribute band.

Back