Ludwig's best recent achievement

mandrew

Gold Member
I have an older acrolite drum that just needed some help.so, I recently installed the P-86 throw-offd, and added some new pure sound snares. What a difference! My main focus here is how solid, simple, yet totally functional the P-86 is! It refreshes my hope that Ludwig can sill make innovative and solid products when they want to. Now,if we can just concince them to upgrade Phillips head nd slot head screws, Even more progress can be made..

If you could call Ludwig, what would you ask them to update that would motivate you to buy?

Re: Ludwigs best recent acheivment

I replaced that garbage P85 on my BB with a P86 about 6 years ago and haven't looked back

made a world of difference

I'd like Ludwig to bring back the Arctic white glitter (aka Bermuda's color) to the finishes available on the maple classics.
Dittos on the P-86, I put them on both of my Supra's.

I would ask Ludwig to Make the P-86 standard equipment on all Supras. The drums deserve it. And, I would leave the P-85 on import and Acrolite models. They do have to use up stock somehow.

I would also ask Ludwig to rethink offering the new 6.5"x14" Acrolite drum and make it 8 lug also, like the 5". Why make the deeper drum more like an LM402? The LM402 sells itself. There are a lot of use who prefer the sound of 8 lugs to 10, and a deeper 8 lug makes more sense to me. Ronn Dunnett offers all of his incredible drums as 8 lug. the deeper Acro makes good sense here, without detracting sales from the supra line.

Replacing the phillip head screw with drum key screws is at the top of my list by a long shot. I've never had a problem with any of my P-85's (or even my P-83)......but the dinky phillips head screw has pissed me off for years. Thank god, they've finally got it right on the P-33......only one more tiny little step to go. Although as a side issue, why in the name of all that's holy, they didn't make the P-33 interchangable with the P-32 is completely beyond me.....that is just corporate stupidity on their behalf.

My other frustration is the lack of ability to buy little things here in Oz. P-86's aren't available. The P-4 practice pad is nowhere to be seen. The kind of stuff I'd check out if I could wander into a store and have a look as opposed to sending away to the States for.

As a company they just fall down in so many areas, at times I wonder why I bother.......then I hit one of my drums and it all comes flooding back!!

Replacing the phillip head screw with drum key screws is at the top of my list by a long shot. I've never had a problem with any of my P-85's (or even my P-83)......but the dinky phillips head screw has pissed me off for years. Thank god, they've finally got it right on the P-33......only one more tiny little step to go. Although as a side issue, why in the name of all that's holy, they didn't make the P-33 interchangable with the P-32 is completely beyond me.....that is just corporate stupidity on their behalf.

My other frustration is the lack of ability to buy little things here in Oz. P-86's aren't available. The P-4 practice pad is nowhere to be seen. The kind of stuff I'd check out if I could wander into a store and have a look as opposed to sending away to the States for.

As a company they just fall down in so many areas, at times I wonder why I bother.......then I hit one of my drums and it all comes flooding back!!

+1.I'm with you all the way on the P-33 issue mate.Why they didn't make the P-33 interchange with the P-32 is ponderous.This was a mistake on par with using rivets on late 70's wrapped drums to hold the seams together.Monumental dumb right there.

And why are we still waiting for drum key head screws,and still using phillips or slot heads?

Sorry Ludwig,you've made a lot of strides in the right direction in the last few years,but you still let the same old things fall through the cracks.I've always play Ludwig,and probably always will.....but how about listening to the rank and file drummers out there who use your stuff.We're talking about some lousy screws here,and a logical solution to the P-33 problem.

If the issue is Conn Selmer as I suspect it is....time to make some changes.You're losing dollars that you don't need to be losing.

Steve B

I agree completely on the P86. Got one on my CM and it's perfect. I also applaud them on the new Atlas stands. I've got the flat base cymbal and hi hat stands and they're perfect for gigging. Nice and light, functional and simple.

How about lets get a deal with Remo to offer a few of their head choices on the higher end Ludwig drums? The Ludwig heads are ok but they end up off to the side taking up space as I'm sure most drummers, like me, change the heads out. It's a waste.

The tab thing that you use to engage/disengage rattles on my P-86, it probably started a week after I got the thing. Why is that?

The tab thing that you use to engage/disengage rattles on my P-86, it probably started a week after I got the thing. Why is that?

had mine for 6 years and never had any problems

but there are 2 tiny black allen key screws holding it on ......try tightening them maybe ?

or you may need to tighten knurled nut that tightens the strands until the tab is just slightly angled inward.
if this makes the strands too tight loosen the screws on the other side of the drum and make adjustments ....but keep the tab just slightly angled toward the drum

thanks, I'll have a look.

No problems with my P-86's either. I've had them since they came out (maybe 5-6 years?).

The new Atlas hardware is great. The Classic Flat Base stuff is fantastic, and the FB hat stand is one of the best feeling stands I've ever owned.
Their old modular hat stand with the 2 side springs feels awesome too.
The basket on the snare stands is great--NO choking of the drum at all.

The feet that can adjust are superb, and in the higher position, they clear mic cords that are usually on the floor.

The new Acro's in the Brushed Aluminum are a fave of mine. They sound great, and I love playing mine (I'm using it on a small gig tomorrow night!). An 8 lug 6.5 would be interesting :)

The new Supralite snares that just came out are cool (the 5x15 is really nice).

Even though I went back to the Eliminator, I have to say the Atlas PRO single pedal is SUPERB.
It's really top notch quality. The use of Allen head screws is nice, and it's solid and fast without feeling too light or too heavy.
The foot board size is in the "just right" area, and the toe stop is removable. It's very quiet, and super easy to put on and take off the hoop.

I just couldn't get used to the floating spring, but that was just my foot, not the pedals fault.

I'd like key head screws on the P-86. Having those would bring the (even "perceived") quality up several notches.

The thing works great as is, but having an updated feature of key head screws would just make it more "legit" to a lot more people that would shy away from their stuff--or automatically want to switch to something more "high tech" like a Trick or Dunnett.

Heck, they could even retire the P-85 and just use the beefier strainer with the key heads and the lever with the knob on it they started using on some specialty and import stuff. That one is beefy, smooth and quiet. Pretty sure it's on the new Supralites.

Change the film used on the heads. Regular Mylar would sound way better IMO.

The introduction of the Legacy Classics a few years ago may be seen as one of their best recent achievments.
That being said: I would LOVE it if Ludwig would reintroduce their Bronze shell Black Beauty.

Mahogany/poplar/mahogany 3 ply or better yet mahogany/poplar/maple 3 ply which is what most late 60's early 70's clear interior drums were. I don't think they ever had a maple/poplar/maple like the newer 3 plys. Any clear interior I have come across also have sharper edges than the earlier white interiors.

DISCLAIMER! I have never played a newer 3 ply so they could be better but I would like to see an actual reproduction of those early 70's kits.

Ludwig has really stepped up their game with the Atlas hardware, especially the new pedals which feel great. But there's a piece of hardware coming up, maybe will be at NAMM, that's absolutely brilliant, and the kind of forward thinking that you kind of don't expect from them. Or maybe these things will herald a new era for Ludwig as an innovator?

Seriously, this new thing is extremely cool, and can be used with pretty much any brand. I can't tell you what it is yet, but it will knock your socks off. It's amazing that noone's thought of it before.

Sorry to be so cryptic, it is still confidential at this point.

Bermuda

My Ludwig xmas list:

- Bring back Arctic Glitter!
- Add a silver sparkle lacquer finish option.
- Better quality hardware on drums, like the foreign-made stuff.
- Move the butt plate up at least 1/2" on snares...like the foreign-made stuff.
- Offer a 14x8" Black Beauty and aluminum supra.
- Work harder on quality-control.

I don't want much. :)

What am I missing on the p-86? My supra has the p-85 and Im not sure why i should switch? everyone seems to think it is night and day but what does it change?

I was told about something at the shop, and it is cool, if it's the same thing Bermuda is talking about.
They were shown pics, but I didn't see them. I missed the rep by a couple hours :-(
I did get a shirt though, they did hook me up with that :)

Only a short wait for a reveal until Namm, or if Ludwig decides to Facebook it.

What am I missing on the p-86? My supra has the p-85 and Im not sure why i should switch? everyone seems to think it is night and day but what does it change?

If the 85 you have works, and you have no problems, then just keep using it.

I actually only switched the first time because of the Vintage look the P-86 has that I was going for on a Tube Lug BB I was putting Straight Hoops and claws on.

I liked it, so I just swapped out the other 2 snares I had (because of drummer OCD of course).
I got a real good price on the 86's at the shop, and I had the money, but, if I was just buying them online, for the almost $40 most places charge, I probably would never do it TBH.
After the first swap, I just ordered a drum with an 86, but if it was an eBay or something, I would switch to keep them all the same (OCD haha!).

The 86 has worked great for me, so someone can change if they want to/hate/have problems with an 85, and stay stock Ludwig without drilling.

Other than that, I never actually had a problem with the 85. They did however need a little spritz of spray to keep smooth--which is no big deal IMO. That's just maintaining the instrument.

Back