Ludwig Supraphonics....?

j-ronimo

Is there any difference between the 60's Supraphonics with the Keystone badges and the 70's models with the olive badges? Structurally and tonally, i mean. Is one any better than the other, or is the only difference the decade?

Structurally some of the very early drums from 63 had crimped snare beds.Up till some time in 65,they had chrome over brass rims top an bottom.The baseball bat muffler was changed to the large round muffler sometime in 69,as well as the B/O badge.

Other than,they all just about have that same sound,but just like any other brand or model of drum,some will sound better that others.The difference will be slight however,and the guy sitting the front row,couldn't tell the difference.:)

Steve B

Unless it's an early 60's til when Steve said (close to 1970), there's no difference, so don't be fooled by any Ebay listings saying a 70's high dollar B/O version is the "magic" time period, building it up with "Bonham", or any of that stuff.

I saw a '72 or '73 6.5 402 go for over $800, and at point they were going for $399 brand new!
It's the same drum today as it was back then.
I also saw a NOS (new old stock) 1979 go for $1000. Same drum you could buy today!

If people buy the hype, good for the seller I guess (buyer beware and all that), but it's the same as it's been for ages.

Unless it's an early 60's til when Steve said (close to 1970), there's no difference, so don't be fooled by any Ebay listings saying a 70's high dollar B/O version is the "magic" time period, building it up with "Bonham", or any of that stuff.

I saw a '72 or '73 6.5 402 go for over $800, and at point they were going for $399 brand new!
It's the same drum today as it was back then.
I also saw a NOS (new old stock) 1979 go for $1000. Same drum you could buy today!

If people buy the hype, good for the seller I guess (buyer beware and all that), but it's the same as it's been for ages.

+100 Karl,you're right on the money.Those 70's LM 402 drums are to some people magic and go for stupid money.I love the listings RARE....BONHAM.Nobody ever says...PAICE or POWELL.Lots of well known drummers used the 402.Ludwig made thousands of them,so there's nothing rare about them at all..And they all sounded different...how about that.:)

Steve B

Those prices are ridiculous. I was shopping for a second LM402 and ended up with an entire Bonham kit for a little more than $1000.

As has been mentioned, basicly same drum, and no audience will know the difference. You, the player can change the sound all over the place by head selection, tuning, stick use, your own technique, etc. In fact, that is one of the great virtues of a great drum, incredible flexibility! Acros and Supras are enormously flexible.

Those prices are ridiculous. I was shopping for a second LM402 and ended up with an entire Bonham kit for a little more than $1000.

Haha! Isn't that how it always goes?!

Yep, that '79 snare SOLD for $1,000 BIN. Plus shipping!. It wasn't even free shipping!

Hopefully the buyer got their "magic" drum.

Back