Ludwig Supraphonic Chrome over Ludalloy fix

simmsdn

Silver Member
If you have a dirty old Supra with flaking chrome or if you see a used one that looks bad, but is at a really great price - DO NOT FEAR!

My dad (Drums-R-Us, look for him @ Chicago Drum Show next month) found an old 1970s B/O badged beater LM400 and worked his wonder.

He took it apart, cleaned it (the lugs are chrome over steel - clean up like new), he wrapped the shell with some purple sparkle, added die cast hoops and new tension rods.

He was even able to save the B/O badge which cleaned up as well as the rest of the drum.

It looks and sounds great.

Attachments

• 100_3468.JPG
    100_3468.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 2,102
  • 100_3469.JPG
    100_3469.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 1,789
  • 100_3470.JPG
    100_3470.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,789
  • 100_3471.JPG
    100_3471.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 1,912

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Looks great.
The only thing is the seam should have been under a lug.
But, if it was an experiment that turned out cool, no harm no foul :)
With that sparkle stuff, you don't notice it anyway except at certain angles (that no one would ever see).
I thought about doing this exact thing if I ran across a 6.5 in bad shape cheaply.
I have some Red Sparkle material that matches perfectly to Red Sparkle wrap.
I like the chrome strip in the center, it looks cool to me.

simmsdn

Silver Member
Yeah, the seam does run under a lug...what looks like a seam in the pics is just a weird reflection (old camera in bad lighting).

It was mostly an experiment. Only thing I'm going to do with this drum is put a P-86 on it and ditch the P-85.

BGH

Gold Member
I painted this one. It had several problems in addition to a rough finish. I fixed the problems, sanded the finish and sprayed it with Rustoleum Hammered Copper Paint. This paint is awesome for hiding imperfections, in that its a highly textured finish. Looks pretty cool and sounds great.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 3,089
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 1,661

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Cool snares guys. An old picture in a new frame so to speak. Takes a minute for my brain to register Imperial lugs on a blue sparkle drum......there's something you don't see everyday. Don't think I've ever heard a wrap over a metal shell. Does it drastically change the sound?

Mendozart, nothing about that drum says supra....or is it an acro? Assuming it's a supra with swapped out lugs. The spacing looks to be for 10 lugs from where I sit. Sparkle wraps and bow-tie lugs are the last thing that would come to mind.........very well disguised.

BGH, very clever. Really interesting effect. Makes it look like an old copper snare indeed.

simmsdn

Silver Member
Cool snares guys. An old picture in a new frame so to speak. Takes a minute for my brain to register Imperial lugs on a blue sparkle drum......there's something you don't see everyday. Don't think I've ever heard a wrap over a metal shell. Does it drastically change the sound?
Not as much as the die cast hoops on mine! The wrap's effect on ludalloy is pretty minimal, I do not notice a difference. With the die-cast hoops, I do get rim shots from hades (which I like), plus it adds about 10 pounds to the weight of the drum (which I also like).

That copper wrinkle paint job looks superior! Very impressive drum. Now I just hope we don't have everyone going out and buying up all the beat up chrome over ludalloy supras! I want to experiment more now!

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
simmsdm--thought it might have been a reflection, but it was in 2 pics.... Whatever, it looks cool as hell.
I might be at the Chicago show next month. If I make it, I will for sure check out Drums-R-Us!

BGH--Home made Stipple COPPER!!! That's awesome.

I always wanted to have a Candy Apple Red chromed 402 on my Red Sparkle kit.
I guess it would be Red metallic powder coat or something.

simmsdn

Silver Member
Karl - Chicago show is highly recommended! Just be careful with your wallet...you can empty it pretty quickly there!

Even though I am an Ohio State grad, Purdue always brings in the WORLD'S LARGEST DRUM (a Rogers bass drum)...definately fun to whack that thing! Plus it feels like I'm beating down a Boilermaker, so I'm ok with hitting it.

JR Robinson is a clinician there this year...some other good folks as well...you'll always see Bun E Carlos there, Will Calhoun, and a bevy of other great drummers...all of them cool as can be and very approachable.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I always wanted to have a Candy Apple Red chromed 402 on my Red Sparkle kit.

What about just a red sparkle wrap over the humble 402? That way when you eventually get sick of it and sell it to me, I'll have two traditional (400 and 402) supra's AND a red sparkle supra to match MY (sorry....your OLD) kit. :)

Mendozart

Platinum Member
Mendozart, nothing about that drum says supra....or is it an acro? Assuming it's a supra with swapped out lugs. The spacing looks to be for 10 lugs from where I sit. Sparkle wraps and bow-tie lugs are the last thing that would come to mind.........very well disguised.

Supra, Acro, basically both the same (same shell). Although, I have seen Supras with bowtie lugs, straight from the factory. Basically I was just showing someone wrapping a ludalloy shell.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
What about just a red sparkle wrap over the humble 402? That way when you eventually get sick of it and sell it to me, I'll have two traditional (400 and 402) supra's AND a red sparkle supra to match MY (sorry....your OLD) kit. :)

Yeah right, like a Red Sparkle Supra is going to slip under the radar!....haha!

....hmmmmm...I do have some empty cases....hahaha!

thechief7676

Even though I am an Ohio State grad, Purdue always brings in the WORLD'S LARGEST DRUM (a Rogers bass drum)...definately fun to whack that thing! Plus it feels like I'm beating down a Boilermaker, so I'm ok with hitting it.

That's how I feel as an Illinois Fan! I'm a season ticket holder for Illinois FB. Here is a shot of the back of Purdue's BD and each schools drumlines going after it. We killed 'em that day.

Nice snare's also!

Attachments

• bd.jpg
    bd.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,626