ludwig supraphonic 402 vs sonor d-506 snare drum

rdon45

i have the sonor d-506 "6 1/4 x 14" chrome snare which i love,,,looking to pick up a supra but im hearing that my snare is like a supra on steroids,,so im debating if i really need to purchase one or not,,i will say the sonor is a kickin snare,,i did install the 42 strand which i like,,has anyone compared these two snares ??? thanks,,

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
The Sonor is a steel shell, yeah? Whereas the Luddy is aluminium. Both seamless shells as far as I can gather, but I'd expect the Sonor to be slightly harsher, colder and lend itself to more overtones, given that that is the nature of steel shells.

I have no experience with the Sonor though, so am basing my opinion on what I know of steel shells in general and what I've read about the D506 on the net. I ran across the "Supra on steroids" line myself, but given the difference in shell materials I'm not sure how such an easy comparison can be made. Steel does not sound like aluminium and vice versa......they are not the same drum. So if you think you'll get use out of both, then why not. Variety is the spice of life, so they say and the Supra will serve you well. I've always loved my 402.

rdon45

the sonor d-506 actually has a ferro-manganese steel shell,, i appreciate your input,,,just was wondering how they stack up to each other,,thanks,,

MikeM

Platinum Member
As PFOG already pointed out, the 402 is aluminum and will sound like aluminum. That is to say that it won't sound like steel or ferro-manganese steel. It also won't sound like brass, bronze, copper, or any of the woods.

Your Sonor may be a crushing snare worth its weight in gold and I don't want to try and take away any of its awesomeness, but it won't ever sound like aluminum or specifically, an LM402. So given all that stuff's out of the way, I definitely think you should get pick up a 402! It will have less sustain and sound warmer than your Sonor, but still maintains a wicked crack. There's a very good reason they're among the most recorded snares in history; there's nothing like them and I'd never part with mine, no matter how many more snares I end up accumulating.

rdon45

i agree with both of you,cant really compare the two i guess so thats what i will do,,can never have enough right ?? three kits already so whats a few more drums !!! lol,,thanx,,,

tamadrm

Platinum Member
You really can't compare the two drums so whom ever made the statement that its" like a 402 on steroids" is short sighted at best.All I can say is there is a reason the Supraphonic has been around since 1964,and other drum companies STILL try to capture that Ludwig mojo,and fail to do so.

I'm sure the Sonor is a fine drum as are a lot of their drums.They were and are,still considered by many(especially the Germans) the rolls royce of production drums.But do you think that model of snare will be around 47 years and still going strong?

Steve B

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
i agree with both of you,cant really compare the two i guess so thats what i will do,,can never have enough right ?? three kits already so whats a few more drums !!! lol,,thanx,,,
Three kits and only one snare?? Man, the balance of the universe is off kilter....there's no Yin to your Yang......natural order needs to be restored.

Add the supra.....thank us all later. :)

rdon45

lol,,,actually i do have three snares,,a remo piccolo which actually sounds pretty damn good i must say,,then i also have a ludwig accent snare that i got when i bought a zep kit that i really dont like at all,,,i like the drums after installing all new heads and some serious tuning time,,for a cheaper kit i must say they do sound great except for the snare,,,then i have a 1995 4 piece dw kit that i use the remo snare with,,been using the sonor d506 between my sonor phonic plus kit which i bought new in 85,,double bass tommy lee kit from the shout at the devil era,,and the zep kit,,,i will take the advice and pick up a supra,,,is the new ones as good as the vintage ?? thanx guys,,you've been very helpful !!!
ronnie d

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
,,,is the new ones as good as the vintage ??
Personally, I say yes....to my ear the difference is not discernible, but I know others see it differently. To me supra's sound like supra's, regardless of the date stamped on them.

This one is well worth doing a search on though. It's been covered in several threads and there's some good reading there.

Start with this one: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74677&highlight=vintage+supra but there are more to be found.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I'll say both the vintage 402's, and the new ones sound "like 402's"

There might be a little difference in shell tone over the decades, but how much is up to your wallet.

I've seen 70's 402's go for 700+..... but, I can buy a new one for under 400....
Up to the person to decide if a B/O badge and a 70's drum is worth 300 more.
A little more "this", or a bit bit more "that".....
1.6 hoops make some difference, and they are still available so....

As to a 402/Sonor question...
If you have the funds, sure the 402 is a drum you can have and use all your drumming days.
If you are doing a one or the other, if you really dig the Sonor, but just wonder about the 402, stick with the Sonor for now. If the Sonor is a badass snare, you're all set.

BUT, if your looking for a great snare, yep, the 402 is a great snare.

Just my 2 cents.
Have fun!