Ludwig supra shell rarely drilled

Rich19

Hey guys !! I have seen these Ludwig supra shells with the holes drilled in a rare form . Seems like the holes were like grinded from the inside ..? , just in the butt and throw off sites . Can anybody shed some info ??

KamaK

Platinum Member
No, not at all . No extra holes and all are where they are supposed to be . Just that they are drilled in a grind kinda cone shape .
Does it appear that the holes were pressed out with a punch, rather than drilled? It's the only mechanical/manufacturing action that I could imagine would produce a conical shape surrounding the hole.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Does it appear that the holes were pressed out with a punch, rather than drilled? It's the only mechanical/manufacturing action that I could imagine would produce a conical shape surrounding the hole.
They may have been opened up with a step bit. I have no idea how Ludwig does it, but that is the proper way to make holes in thin metal. And from the inside makes perfect sense.

Rich19

They may have been opened up with a step bit. I have no idea how Ludwig does it, but that is the proper way to make holes in thin metal. And from the inside makes perfect sense.
Good morning !! The step bit theory may just have nailed it !! ...but I was checking a video of a step bit and how they work and they make perfect holes if you go all they way thru the sheet of metal to the desired diameter of the drill bit . As for the holes I refer to , seem as if you started a desired diameter with the step bit and didn’t go thru with it , leaving like a cone surface entrance on the sheet metal specific hole . Trying to explain myself the best possible , since I haven’t been able to upload the photos . This is present only on the throw off and butt end holes , not on the holes where the lugs attach . Let me know if someone has encountered this in any other Ludwig metal shells. Thanks a bunch !!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Those look like (and it could be camera trickery) someone went into the hole at an angle. The shell being curved could do it if you aren't perpendicular to the hole. The left one has a ton of material on the left side of the hole, and from the pic the taper looks larger on the left. It looks like someone went back into the hole all willie-nilley with a hand drill or something. Also, adjusting for the curve of the shell if drilled perpendicular, the taper should appear visually larger where the holes are closest to each other, not the opposite sides.

When my P85 throw-off broke on my black beauty, I bought a new P85AC.
When I took off the original throw off, I saw the holes. They were in kind of a triangular shape. Not exactly triangular but surely not round.
The new strainer barely fitted in these holes.
Maybe the previous owner of your snare had a similar situation as I did, but in his case, the holes were not close enough so he had to drill them a tad larger.
I have to admit that Ludwig does a really bad work when it comes to hardware, finishes, and drilling.