Ludwig Super Classics 2006?

I think if you like them, you should get them. They're Ludwig Super Classics. I think the Super just meant you got the long lugs on the shells. But 4-ply maple shells should be nice and resonant. My older Ludwigs are 6-ply and they sound good. Those Super Classics look great and if they're really unused and almost mint, I'd say $2K isn't a bad price. You're getting hardware and the snare - the coveted 6.5x14 Supra. What's not to like?

Just looked them up - Super Classics were introduced in 1988 as 4-ply drums. A more resonant edition of the regular Classics which were 6-ply. Apparently that's the only difference. Your seller opted for the long lugs since you had a choice. They're full-blown Ludwigs, all right.

Thanks Bo, I was a bit confused by the long lugs is all. Was checking out the Ludwig site and didn't see any drums with those on 'em. Sadly the guy won't ship the drums and to pick 'em up would be like driving from LA to Pittsburg and back. For that time and money I would consider getting a Brady kit custom made. He's only 3 hours up the road from me. I would love a Ludwig kit tho, thanks again!

Thanks Bo, I was a bit confused by the long lugs is all. Was checking out the Ludwig site and didn't see any drums with those on 'em. Sadly the guy won't ship the drums and to pick 'em up would be like driving from LA to Pittsburg and back. For that time and money I would consider getting a Brady kit custom made. He's only 3 hours up the road from me. I would love a Ludwig kit tho, thanks again!

That is quite far! But I would assume Brady being a local brand to you would be much cheaper than here in the States, eh? I rather like those Brady snares too.

I wasn't aware Ludwig was making 4-ply Super Classics in 2006. I thought by then they were well into their current 7-ply Classic Maple shell set up.

Power tom depths, make sure that is what your after. You really need to lay into them to make them sound good and unless your really tall you have to mount them at a pretty good angle.

Just a heads up

I wish Brady's were cheaper here. Just ordered a 8by14 jarrah snare at about 12 bones. The cool thing is that I'm getting it with a veneer sourced from where I live on the south coast. Jarrah grows around here too, got one in my yard..marri too. Now I just need to save up for a black beauty..will be in the States in July so will have a look around. Ludwig dealers in OZ are nowadays nonexistent. Sad

I wish Brady's were cheaper here. Just ordered a 8by14 jarrah snare at about 12 bones. The cool thing is that I'm getting it with a veneer sourced from where I live on the south coast. Jarrah grows around here too, got one in my yard..marri too. Now I just need to save up for a black beauty..will be in the States in July so will have a look around. Ludwig dealers in OZ are nowadays nonexistent. Sad

Do they make you pay import taxes on your way home if you bring items bought in the US through the airport?

I imagine they do....if they know about it. Thought I might take my snare drum hardcase as my carry-on...you know, for clothes :)

Bought "new" in '96 could mean they sat in a shop for a few years.

That's the Sable Black with Mach Lugs that I have. Mine are from Jan of 1990.

The Super Classic shells are fantastic. They sound just a touch more mellow/fatter than the Classic Maple, but CM and SC's match up side by side just great.

Back