ludwig super classic

Drewbrew

I really really really like this model. However since ludwig doesnt make them anymore what is the closest thing to a super classic that I could find

volvoguy

Possibly Legacy Classics? :)

Lately, I've been having 12-year delayed 2nd thoughts about getting regular Classics vs. Super Classics when I ordered my kit.

-Ryan

drumhammerer

Silver Member
Which super classic are you referring to? I believe they sometimes referred to the 60's 3 plies as super classics. But I think the 4 ply shells of the late 80's and early 90's were actually called Super Classics in the catalogs. Those 4 ply shell kits are very rare, so they're hard to find on Ebay. I believe those shells were around 5/16" thick, so anything with that thickness should get you close, but probably won't be exact.

SoCalMike

Official Drummerworld Photographer
But I think the 4 ply shells of the late 80's and early 90's were actually called Super Classics in the catalogs. Those 4 ply shell kits are very rare, so they're hard to find on Ebay.
I had a Super Classics kit I got mine in 1990 it's a 4 ply maple with a piano white finish 16X24 14x14 16x16 16x18 All floor toms ordered without floor tom legs. I then used the Rims System for all drums.
The "Best Ludwigs" I ever had

KING

Hi Mike !

I'm the Swedish guy who bought your white Ludwig Super Clasic kit. I still have it and it sounds fantastic - this is what it looks like today !

Attachments

drumhammerer

Silver Member
Those are sweet! I just picked up a white 6.5X 14 Ludwig thicker shelled maple snare last night on Ebay. It's a thicker shell, but I'm not yet sure what ply it is, because I haven't recieved it yet, but it has a muffler,so it's probably from the late 80's or early 90's. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be a 4 ply shell. Once you get past the mid 80's, it gets real hard to determine the age of Ludwigs, since not much changed until 1998.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
That White kit looks great!
I have a 4ply Super Classic in Sable Classic Coat and long lugs. It's a 1990.
They still sound awesome, and all the rods go in super smooth. No problems ever with those drums (or any of the Ludwigs I've gotten since then either!).

Dougster123

Yup! I've been looking for 4-ply Super Classics also - for a few years now. Not with much effort, but It has to be one of the most mis-understood models Ludwig made. It's kind of like they way most people think that all of the 50's and 60's stuff was 100% maple - NOT!

A fellow drummer, the only person I've met who has a set, just informed me that he just had the bearing edges "done". I didn't know whether to beat his ass or cry.

Dougster123

That White kit looks great!
I have a 4ply Super Classic in Sable Classic Coat and long lugs. It's a 1990.
They still sound awesome, and all the rods go in super smooth. No problems ever with those drums (or any of the Ludwigs I've gotten since then either!).
Can you post some pics?

mlpdmark

Hi everyone, great sight!!! I am brand new here so please be patient. I purchased my third and final kit a few years back ( ludwig ) the best set I have ever had! since the purchase I've bewen trying to identify year and model. I determined the year of manufacture a while back (1966) and was pleasently surprised because of the excellent condition it is in. Thanks to you guys I think I've found the rest of the info I 'm looking for The Kit is: 6 ply 14x10 12 lug snare, 4 ply 13x12, 14x13 toms 18x16 flr tom, and 26x16 kick. Hardware is ludwig dbl brace boom stands, and throne. dbl pedal and hihat std are tama iron cobra I've since replaced the snare with a 14x6.5 superphonic 402 and all cymbals with pastie 2002 series and sound edge hats to get as close to a J. Bonham kit as I can. The set was purchsed via a sugestion of buying another kit from my son, found it in a trade n times that night and brought it home the next day. Is this a super classic kit or a classic?
Thanks for your time and realy love your kits!
mlpdmark

Last edited: