Ludwig Standard Kit

acsunda

I just received my new (to me) Ludwig Standard kit in blue strata. I've had some cool drums over the years, but these might be the coolest. They are in excellent shape, wrap is clean and tight for the most part (with one small area near the bottom of the bass drum where the wrap has a little cracking). They do have an updated tom mount and updated heavier bass drum spurs, and they are missing the bass drum hoop inlay strips. But they sound amazing. The only other kit I've had from this era was a 1966 Slingerland Krupa Deluxe kit, which was very cool and it sounded good, but I had to do a lot of work and finessing to get it dialed in. These Standards though... boy they just sing right out of the box. I barely had to tune them or work with them at all. Overall, I could not be happier. (note: snare pictured is a Gretsch Brooklyn chrome over steel snare).

ADC7FC62-9681-497E-9543-66D36AE26BE8.JPG
AC101BE1-365A-4D0A-8CA1-C60450B0E067.JPG

Jasta 11

What differentiates the standards from the classics and super classics?
they had cheaper lugs and hardware. the tom mount on the bass drum was like a thin rolled pipe. very cheap. However the sound is killer, i was able to rehearse on a set, same color as the OP, and even with bad heads it was a great sounding kit. In recent years, the value has climbed on these kits.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Yes the sound is killer. The place we practice has a beat up Standard kit. The tom mount is ripped out of the rack tom so there's a hole there. The heads are way old and stretched and beat up. The thing sounds killer. I get the most amazing and beautiful notes out of the toms. I can tune it lower than most any kit ever and still get a musical note. The bass is also amazing so easy to play and the band can hear it well. Very under-rated kit.

Jasta 11

Yes the sound is killer. The place we practice has a beat up Standard kit. The tom mount is ripped out of the rack tom so there's a hole there. The heads are way old and stretched and beat up. The thing sounds killer. I get the most amazing and beautiful notes out of the toms. I can tune it lower than most any kit ever and still get a musical note. The bass is also amazing so easy to play and the band can hear it well. Very under-rated kit.
100%!!

acsunda

they had cheaper lugs and hardware. the tom mount on the bass drum was like a thin rolled pipe. very cheap. However the sound is killer, i was able to rehearse on a set, same color as the OP, and even with bad heads it was a great sounding kit. In recent years, the value has climbed on these kits.
Yeah, like I said, somebody before me replaced the tom mount with a newer, sturdier mount. It’s solid now.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Thanks for clarifying. There always seems to be a standard set or two in my area for sale. Maybe I should snag a cheap one and do a little refurbishing to make a great players set.

acsunda

Thanks for clarifying. There always seems to be a standard set or two in my area for sale. Maybe I should snag a cheap one and do a little refurbishing to make a great players set.
I absolutely would grab one, if you can!

Jasta 11

Around here the prices for a 5 pc are in the 1200 and up range, 5 years ago they were like 300-500. I think people are starting to realize what they are. Until i played a set, I never even heard of the Standards. Great drums, without a doubt.

acsunda

Around here the prices for a 5 pc are in the 1200 and up range, 5 years ago they were like 300-500. I think people are starting to realize what they are. Until i played a set, I never even heard of the Standards. Great drums, without a doubt.
I managed to snag these for $725, and I feel super lucky!

pocket player

I just received my new (to me) Ludwig Standard kit in blue strata. I've had some cool drums over the years, but these might be the coolest. They are in excellent shape, wrap is clean and tight for the most part (with one small area near the bottom of the bass drum where the wrap has a little cracking). They do have an updated tom mount and updated heavier bass drum spurs, and they are missing the bass drum hoop inlay strips. But they sound amazing. The only other kit I've had from this era was a 1966 Slingerland Krupa Deluxe kit, which was very cool and it sounded good, but I had to do a lot of work and finessing to get it dialed in. These Standards though... boy they just sing right out of the box. I barely had to tune them or work with them at all. Overall, I could not be happier. (note: snare pictured is a Gretsch Brooklyn chrome over steel snare)

I just received my new (to me) Ludwig Standard kit in blue strata. I've had some cool drums over the years, but these might be the coolest. They are in excellent shape, wrap is clean and tight for the most part (with one small area near the bottom of the bass drum where the wrap has a little cracking). They do have an updated tom mount and updated heavier bass drum spurs, and they are missing the bass drum hoop inlay strips. But they sound amazing. The only other kit I've had from this era was a 1966 Slingerland Krupa Deluxe kit, which was very cool and it sounded good, but I had to do a lot of work and finessing to get it dialed in. These Standards though... boy they just sing right out of the box. I barely had to tune them or work with them at all. Overall, I could not be happier. (note: snare pictured is a Gretsch Brooklyn chrome over steel snare).

View attachment 105268
View attachment 105269
my first name brand kit was a 1972 ludwig standard 4pc that my parents bought me for $320.00, same finish,Ringo wrap of course, my shells were made of granular fiberglass , they sound was ok. What are your shells made of ?

acsunda

my first name brand kit was a 1972 ludwig standard 4pc that my parents bought me for $320.00, same finish,Ringo wrap of course, my shells were made of granular fiberglass , they sound was ok. What are your shells made of ?
To my knowledge, Standards were made using the exact the same shells as the Classics, which mine seem to be. I’ve not heard of Standards made using fiberglass shells, although I’m sure someone here knows more about Ludwig history than I do.

TJK

View attachment 105268
View attachment 105269
Tom mount looks great thought it was a new set

Thin Shell

I'm pretty sure the Standards are the same shells as the Classic Maples
You are off by a couple of decades.

Classic Maples came out in the mid 90's.

Standards were from 68 -82 so they used the same shells that Ludwig was making at the time so that would be three ply with rerings up until '78 or so or until they ran out of three ply shells. Then it was four ply shells.

harryconway

Platinum Member
To my knowledge, Standards were made using the exact the same shells as the Classics, which mine seem to be. I’ve not heard of Standards made using fiberglass shells, although I’m sure someone here knows more about Ludwig history than I do.
Yes. Correct. Same 3 ply shell. Just like the original Club Date. Same shell ...... different hardware.

Thin Shell

Standards used to be the best kept secrets in vintage Ludwig drums. They used to be dirt cheap until people started talking about how great they are on the internet. Now they are almost as expensive and the regular Classic Ludwigs of the same time period.