Ludwig Standard Kit Advice

Robzildjian

Hello drumming friends around the world. I'm have bought a mahogany ludwig standard kit that is missing its floor tom, a 14" and also the tom holder arm. Is it possible to find such things? Wrap matching is not a problem as the kit will need rewrapping. My kate father used to sing the praises of Ludwig standards so I really wanted to restore this to be like the kit he played which was a down beat. Advice greatly appreciated.

G

Ghostnote

Cruise eBay. Might take a while, but your missing components will eventually turn up on there. Are you sure you want to rewrap it? Those original Strata wraps make up a lot of the appeal for those drums.

Robzildjian

Thanks. I will keep an eye on eBay. Its not strata otherwise I would keep it definitely. It has been rewrapped badly. I love the blue strata and I want to wrap it in as close as possible to this. Just need to find the best match!

alparrott

Platinum Member
Hi there. I also took possession of a Blue Strata Standard kit with a missing drum (in my case a floor tom). I took a hi-res photo of one of the toms, and created a life-size Photoshop image which Bum Wrap printed for me. I believe they used it as the basis for some of their oyster wrap series later. The resulting wrap looks more than close enough for playing out - it's not got the depth of the original wrap, but the look is there.

You're going to have a very tough time locating a dead-on blue strata wrap that matches the classic look. Ludwig has reintroduced something similar for their new Club Dates, but none of the major drum wrap companies have it or any of the old stock that I've found. Precision makes a very nice Black Oyster, but it's not blue strata. Walopus has a Blue Strata that's quite a bit darker than the original. Drum Foundry has discontinued their wraps, and they say they're doing a blowout on their remaining strata wraps.

If you'd like me to provide my Photoshop files so that you can have Bum Wrap print you a set, let me know -- I'd be happy to help.

Attachments

Robzildjian

That is a beautiful kit. Very like one my father had. I would be delighted to have a copy of the wrap. Thank you so much my friend.

alparrott

Platinum Member
That is a beautiful kit. Very like one my father had. I would be delighted to have a copy of the wrap. Thank you so much my friend.
Are you planning on keeping any of the current wrap? Or are you looking to totally recover everything in Blue Strata? If you're completely recovering, PM me the drum sizes so that I can create scaled graphics for you.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Are you planning on keeping any of the current wrap? Or are you looking to totally recover everything in Blue Strata? If you're completely recovering, PM me the drum sizes so that I can create scaled graphics for you.
You is good people.

alparrott

Platinum Member
FWIW, since we're on the subject of Ludwig Standards...This ad is currently in the Philadelphia CL. It could be the nicest set of Ludwig Sandards I ever saw. Bonus, classic lugs. Pretty rare.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/5933261681.html
That *is* gorgeous. I saw a set of Avocado (green) Strata Standards on eBay in better condition than that one time, and they took my breath away. It's easy to see why Ludwig wanted to go back to strata finishes in the revamped Club Dates.

If I could get another set of Standards, they'd be in this finish.

I just signed up for this discussion forum yesterday and this is the first thread I saw as a member. Ludwig Standard drum sets have a sentimenatl aura to me. The first set I got in 1993, as a fourth grader, was just like the one pictured below (when it was complete). It has an 8" tom, and all the drums are foreshortened (except for the snare obviously), and they are not drilled for the addition of bottom heads. A gentleman at a music store told me someone had put a hoop from a kit from the 1940s on the snare, and that's why it has a very prominent rimshot ring. Anyway, I've been playing the ddrum Dios bubinga set now, but I would really like to get the Ludwig set from my friend's upstate NY studio and fix it up. (It needs a lot of work and is far away from me now, unfortunately.)

Attachments

alparrott

Platinum Member
Rob, I'm not certain if you've gone ahead and ordered from Bumwrap yet or not... but it looks like Delmar has reintroduced a Blue Strata wrap (which is scarcely surprising considering it's been reintroduced in the Ludwig finishes since the new Club Date came out). They show two different chip sizes as well so I would contact them to see which is more accurate to the original wrap.

I am also seriously considering ordering a set of Legacy Maples in Blue Strata but in even sizes - my Standards are 13/16/22 and I kind of miss my old 12/14/16 setup.

Attachments