Ludwig sound

It was animal glue (whatever that meant)
Glue, historically, is indeed made from collagen taken from animal parts, particularly horse hooves and bones. In fact, the word “collagen” comes from the Greek kolla, glue. This practice has been going on for thousands and thousands of years; it’s not the invention of some enterprising farmer named Elmer who had a few about-to-be-put-down horses on his hands, a knack for organic chemistry and a vat of boiling water. So, yes, as unpleasant to think about as it is, glue can contain animal-based ingredients (nowadays it’s mostly cattle hooves). Adhesive aficionados seem to gravitate towards fish and hide glues.

I remember in the 60s as a kid joking about sending old horses to the glue factory. I probably heard about it on a bug's Bunny cartoon.

To my ears, Ludwig Classic Maples are the best-sounding modern made drums today. Ludwig has very specific sound that I love. I call it the “Ludwig wallop.” Gretsch is a very, very close second in sound.

In my mind, there’s Ludwig, there’s Gretsch, and then there’s everyone else.

Speaking of Carter, here he is playing Classic Maples with black dots. This is always going to be my gold standard for how rock drums should sound. 😁 Not the only good sound, obviously, but it serves as my reference point.

PS - I also like Silver Dots. I used those a lot in the 80s.

Not to hijack the thread too much - what is the sticking he does in the roll around the Tom’s after his initial tapping on the Tom’s at the beginning of the video?

Not to hijack the thread too much - what is the sticking he does in the roll around the Tom’s after his initial tapping on the Tom’s at the beginning of the video?
Sounds like a herta, maybe.

It's interesting, as a child of the 80s and being influenced by issues of Modern Drummer from the mid 80s through mid 90s during my teen years through college I was somewhat programed that Ludwigs of those eras were "meh" and I was plastered with the marketing for Pearl, Yamaha, Sonor etc. and the last kit I would have wanted was a Ludwig even though some of my idols like Bonham etc all played classic Ludwigs etc.

Over the past 5+ years or so, if I am being honest with myself and listening to a LOT of the DCP vids and others in all sorts of rooms and recordings I can't help but say I have come around and I would certainly look long and hard at some Classic Maples or Neusonics if I was to get another kit.

When it comes to USA made drums and which sounds best to me I vacillate between Ludwig, Gretsch and Noble & Cooley.......but when I close my eyes and let my ears do the picking......when I think "warm, full, maple sound" my ears pick the Classic Maples and the N&C equal times out of 10......

And there is something special about Ludwig metal snares under a recording mic.....there just is......

PS - I have also seen people play something similar sounding, but sticking more like this -

Rlr r Rlr r Rlr r

In that case, the right hand might be thought of as playing 8th note triplets, with the left filling in the 16th note triplets.

PS - I have also seen people play something similar sounding, but sticking more like this -

Rlr r Rlr r Rlr r

In that case, the right hand might be thought of as playing 8th note triplets, with the left filling in the 16th note triplets.
Thanks Stroman, appreciate it 😃

Ludwig's US-made shells are formed in molds without using heat. They send a radio-frequency down the shell that essentially vibrates the glue into the plies and bonds them differently enough to affect the sound. I believe they also use a proprietary 'glue'.
That radio frequency signal is vibrating those glue molecules so fast, I guarantee that they are heating up. They can use RF to melt steel in kilns.

Gretsch has been making non stop the 4160 for 60 years and counting

ludwig says hurry Limited offering

Last edited:
Speaking of Carter, here he is playing Classic Maples with black dots. This is always going to be my gold standard for how rock drums should sound. 😁 Not the only good sound, obviously, but it serves as my reference point.

PS - I also like Silver Dots. I used those a lot in the 80s.
With headphones on that kit sounds absolutely killer. My perfect sound.

The "Radio Frequency Shell Technology". I'd love to see that machine.

I'm guessing (hoping?) that every major drum brand manufacturer uses their own proprietary glue. But maybe, since none of the big brands (except Ludwig and British Drum Co.) tout their glue as proprietary, they all use Elmer's.
Not true. DW credits its proprietary glue formula as playing a key role in the sound of its drums. John Good spent months searching far annd wide across the seven continents for ingredients that would make the ideal adhesive formula to optimize their Specialized Shell Composition construction. After months of searching the globe, he finally discovered a rare tree species deep in the Amazon jungle that produced a unique tree sap that was found to contain the perfect sonic properties to become the primary ingredient in DW’s glue adhesive, forming a musical bond between SSC cross-laminated plies. The rest is history.

Not true. DW credits its proprietary glue formula as playing a key role in the sound of its drums. John Good spent months searching far annd wide across the seven continents for ingredients that would make the ideal adhesive formula to optimize their Specialized Shell Composition construction. After months of searching the globe, he finally discovered a rare tree species deep in the Amazon jungle that produced a unique tree sap that was found to contain the perfect sonic properties to become the primary ingredient in DW’s glue adhesive, forming a musical bond between SSC cross-laminated plies. The rest is history.
I heard rumors that the REAL secret to the process is the few drops of monkey blood, drawn from a species once believed to be extinct, but rediscovered on that trip to the Amazon. The exact ratio is a trade secret, as is the location of the monkeys they smuggled from the rain forest.

And there is something special about Ludwig metal snares under a recording mic.....there just is......

I own 4 snares, all Ludwig, all metal.

Special indeed.

Back