Ludwig snare thoughts Black Beauty or Hammered Bronze

Robzildjian

Ludwig friends,

I’m a British drummer and long term ludwig fan, I have a 6.5 depth ludwig black beauty smooth shell snare. It is a new model and I really like the sound. I recently bought a 1984 6.5 hammered bronze supra. The bronze drum sounds absolutely fantastic. Rich, complex and with a great pop. I am very surprised that the bronze Drum sounds so much better than what I thought was an excellent Drum in the B.B. has anyone else experienced this? Interested in views on comparisons between these two drums. I wondering whether to sell the B.B. or keep both for different circumstances.

Groov-E

Silver Member
Ludwig friends,

I’m a British drummer and long term ludwig fan, I have a 6.5 depth ludwig black beauty smooth shell snare. It is a new model and I really like the sound. I recently bought a 1984 6.5 hammered bronze supra. The bronze drum sounds absolutely fantastic. Rich, complex and with a great pop. I am very surprised that the bronze Drum sounds so much better than what I thought was an excellent Drum in the B.B. has anyone else experienced this? Interested in views on comparisons between these two drums. I wondering whether to sell the B.B. or keep both for different circumstances.
I would keep it for a while just to be certain. There will always be a market for BB's as they are possibly the most popular snare drums around. As they have a different sound, you may regret selling down the line.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Back around '84-'85 I bought a 6.5 hammered bronze Supra.
I compared it to the BB and preferred the bronze, so I bought it and still have it.

I might prefer BB now, or not. I haven't compared the two in 30 years, but I remember myself thinking the BB had an offending high pitch ring that the bronze didn't have. The bronze has a lot of soul.

jbonzo1

Silver Member
Keep both.
They should sound different, the BB has that brass shell "ring" and the hammered bronze has a dry, woody sound. I had a 5x14 hammered bronze with die cast hoops and it was too dry for my taste. I have smooth bronze and BB 6.5x14's and would never sell either.

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
I have the Bronze Hammered, probably the same vintage you have, '80's.
I made a decision to get the Bronze instead of Black Beauty because I knew I'd be using it for live and recording and that having as much cut as the BB wasn't a priority for the styles I play.

Having said that - I want a BB too. :)

Some older BB's were made of bronze but you'd have to wait and watch for one and I suspect they would be not so cheap.

Both great drums.

eamesuser

Silver Member
I had a 6.5 Hammered bronze mid 80's supra for about 10 years,was care taking it for a friend who got out of drumming,and I loved that drum,it had the cut,volume and responsiveness of a metal drum,but it seemed like the hammered bronze shell dried, warmed,and darkened the sound a bit,giving it a warmer woodier tone.I played it,and heard others play it in a bunch of different rooms and it sounded great out front and near field.

I have played modern B+B's and liked those too,and once I got to compare a BB, non hammed bronze and a hammered bronze in a store and that just reaffirmed my previous impressions.

I would keep both if could afford to,but if not I would live with both for awhile just to make sure.I know for me if I could only keep one it would be the bronze.

The nice thing is they both have great resale value.