Ludwig Snare Parts/Rehab?

Shark Pit

Got this old Ludwig snare a few years ago - the chrome like, (ludalloy?) finish is badly pitted looking. It is missing the knob, (tuning) (can't find it anyway) and one of the rings, and it has a blue and olive Ludwig badge with a serial number of 947180, so it appears to be a 1976? Inside is stamped RELIABLE ANTI GALVANIC.

My question is two-fold - What is it? Is it worth scrounging the parts and trying to rehab? So many on this forum have encyclopedic knowledge of this stuff, I thought I'd reach out here first.

I make drumsticks, but don't want to mess with learning to refurbish and chance making a costly mistake. It's occupying a space in the garage presently. Aloha and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
A pic would help buy what you describe os a Ludwig supra phonic snare.Worth restoring?Its the MOST recorded snare drum off all time............bar none.The Model is LM 400,if its a 5x14,or LM 402 if its a 6.5x14.It may also be a supersensitive,based on the snare strainer(the switch that turns the snares on and off)

If by ring ,you mean the hoop or rim,they are easily found.Just make sure,you get either the batter side or snare side,as they are different.The knob you're talking about is probably the internal muffler.Pics would help.Hell,just put it back together,put some new heads on it,and play it like it is.

My supra is a 65',with a keystone badge,and the chrome is pitting and flaking all over,but it sounds amazing.

There drums can be refinished in a number of ways.My favorite is to have the chrome bead blasted away,and have the shell polished.Polished aluminum(ludalloy,reliable anti galvanic) looks just like chrome.Aloha.:)

Steve B

Shark Pit

A pic would help buy what you describe os a Ludwig supra phonic snare.Worth restoring?Its the MOST recorded snare drum off all time............bar none.The Model is LM 400,if its a 5x14,..
Steve B
It's 5x14 and I'll check the rim. No drum heads, so it's basically the shell and snare adjustment. I'll get some photos later today. I am probably not going to find time for a bit to try restore, but the first thing I will have to do is get the stickers some prior owner pasted all over OFF. Thanks for your input. I have a direction to go