Ludwig Snare (not supraphonic, not an Acrolite)?

Re: Ludwig Snare (not supraphonic, not an Acrolite)???

That is a 14x5" Supraphonic. The Imperial lugs are a dead giveaway.

If you score that for $60 then that is a helluva deal. User they go for around $200-250

Sure looks like a Supra. As far as I know they didn't use Imperial lugs on anything else. Worth a look in person, especially at that price. Even if all the chrome has flaked off it's still a great deal.

That's what I was suspecting but am not an expert and didn't want to get excited. I'm calling him now. I believe its a 10 lug too so that's another indication its not a beginner snare right?

Yup, looks like a 10 lug. The 10 imperial lugs would mark it as a Supraphonic and not an Acrolite.

Yep, it's a Supra - unless someone put imperial lugs on another drum - which wouldn't make sense.

GET IT!!!

And when you do, post really good pictures of it.

Going to check it out after work. If I get it, I'll post pics. ANything I should look for to know if it's something else with imperial lugs put on after-market? Do supras have a seam in the shell? I'm looking at pics of supras online now to make sure I can tell when I get there. Wife is going to kill me.

Last edited:

If it's really a supra (and it really looks like it in the pic), it may warrant you going there during your lunch break.

Even if you're not 100% sure, I'd pick it up for that price.
Looks like a Supra to my untrained eye.

Snagged it today after work! $60. And good thing I did as the seller said he had received two other calls about it after I called. He wasn't sure if it was a Supraphonic but he didn't think so. I only asked once though...I'm not that dumb. I'm still not 100% sure so here are some close up pics for all the experts to weigh in on. There is no stamp or date on it anywhere. Just a blue sticker inside the shell. See below

The one thing I noticed is that it does not have the gold keystone badge. Would that suggest it actually is not a Supra? It's also missing one lug screw on the inside and the hardware needs some serious attention (rusting and pitting of the shell.) Not too bad though. I think I can clean it up well and tune it up nicely. Here are the pics.

So....is it a Supra?

j0h3o9ctmh4kr1l4g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8c58hgdcty8tn4a4g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

y7zk5act75qevto4g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

gv4e4bczn22i6nx4g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bw68co7pw0hb8t74g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

71zg4an6ien1vrn4g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's a Supra. Congrats, you just saved $300. The badge looks like a 70's era. is the top right of the badge pointy?

The internal dampening also suggests 70's I usually remove mine, put it in a labeled zip-lock bag, and keep it with the snare parts in case I want to re-sell later. Some buyers use the lack of a dampener as an excuse to low-ball.

NICE SNAG.

cHSqp.gif

Ha! The Barney Stinson Gif is a great touch. Thanks for the assessments, guys. Very excited.

Now I just have to take it apart, give the hardware the ole' coke and aluminum foil treatment, get ride of the dampener (knob is missing anyway), tune it up and see how she sounds. I'll probably throw on some pure sound wires I have from my last 14" snare too. The heads even seem to have a lot of life left.

Best. Craigslist. Deal. EVER.

I'll post before and after pics in a few days.

That's a Supra. Congrats, you just saved $300. The badge looks like a 70's era. is the top right of the badge pointy?

The internal dampening also suggests 70's I usually remove mine, put it in a labeled zip-lock bag, and keep it with the snare parts in case I want to re-sell later. Some buyers use the lack of a dampener as an excuse to low-ball.

Yes, it is the pointy one. So I think it's an early 70s. I'll be sure to hang on to the dampener.

Great find. Nice work!
Believe it or not, I got one for $30 on c/list, fine condition.
dude didn't know what he had, neither did I at first.

Great find. Nice work!
Believe it or not, I got one for $30 on c/list, fine condition.
dude didn't know what he had, neither did I at first.

Nice! I'm having a good time taking it apart and cleaning it. Just not sure what to do about the chrome pitting on the shell. I would describe it as "minimal" but still. Am I asking for trouble (and diminished value) if I were to try to sand the chrome off or at least rough the finish to hide the pitting?

Back