Ludwig snare defect

Soft 'n' Hard

Hello.

I've recently purchased a brand new black beauty snare from an official dealer.
While I was changing the batter head I observed a point unter the bearing edge (the inside side, so not in touch with the heads) where the nickel platting is missing, and some tiny spots aside that bigger one also without nickel.
Should I worry about this fault? Is it possible to start oxidizing somehow and further destroy the platting.
Of course I understand that this has nothing to do with its sound, it is definitely one of the best metal snare drum I have ever played, and I have played many of them.
I am extra disappointed that Ludwig doesn't publish any contact email address for this cases, not even on the guarantee card..
I'd appreciate any advice.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Hello.

I've recently purchased a brand new black beauty snare from an official dealer.
While I was changing the batter head I observed a point unter the bearing edge (the inside side, so not in touch with the heads)
When something is electroplated, conductive supports need to make contact with the item. I believe that there are several points under the bearing edge where you can see where these suspension wires made contact.

Is this what you're talking about?

Soft 'n' Hard

The few small dots are this size, almost unrecognisable. But there is one mark at least 1/8" by 1/2" big, exactly at the same position. Like they used a blade turned to a hook to support it.
I don't care at all about the aesthetic part of the defect. I only need to be sure that this think stops there and won't extend..

KamaK

Platinum Member
The few small dots are this size, almost unrecognisable. But there is one mark at least 1/8" by 1/2" big, exactly at the same position. Like they used a blade turned to a hook to support it.
I don't care at all about the aesthetic part of the defect. I only need to be sure that this think stops there and won't extend..
Indeed. It is most likely where the anode made contact. Even though you can see the brass, there is still a thin layer of nickel protecting the shell below. Brass is fairly nobel, and there should be little galvanic action between the two to cause further flaking.

I'm surprised that your spot is 1/2" long. I have 3 that are dots and one that's about 1/8" in diameter, all of which are pretty clear in my pic.

Can you snap a photo?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Personally, I wouldn't put a seconds thought into that. It's more than likely to be a result of the plating process as Kama has suggested. Given it's location, it's unlikely to ever be seen by another living soul. I very much doubt it'll ever get any worse than that and it has absolutely no effect on the sound of the drum.

It's just not worth your time or concern. Play the thing and enjoy it.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Looking at your picture, it looks like one of the semi-rigid anode wires folded over a bit. It is indeed fairly long and in the right spot and matches where the anode marks are on mine. It's also possible that there was a small air-pockett when the drum was submerged and that the piece was never turned under the solution. While I'd love to say that Ludwig would never do that, I've seen some crazy stuff from them. Either way, this shouldn't affect the performance or longevity of the shell.

Cosmetically, this is why they use a bus-bar and wire hook to contact the underside of the bearing edge and submerge it in this particular orientation. To keep the marks relatively hidden.

Any plating guys on the forum?

Last edited: