Ludwig Snare - Brass, Acrolite, or Clone?

opentune

Platinum Member
Am looking at a cheaper backup snare, 5 or 5.5 x 14, am thinking a Ludwig Rockers brass, or maybe just an Acrolite (which I had once but stupidly let go). New or used is fine. Any input out there for any snares in this price range (< 300) with this kind of sound? Anybody try the Rockers brass, say compared to a Pearl Sensitone?

I think Pearl's Sensitone is one of the more underrated snares out there, especially for the price. Of course, the Acrolite is a classic bargain.

I agree. Pearl Sensitone is a very nice snare. The Acs are good too and can be had for 100-150.

Brass or aluminium? That's ultimately what it comes down to here.

If you really want brass....and the Sensitone suits your budget, then have at it. They are good quality drums that come highly recommended by those that use them.
If you want a slightly drier tone then aluminium will give it to you. And there's nothin' wrong with the Acro.....same shell as the famed Supra (just without some of the bling) and is excellent value for money. Even moreso if you get one used.

If it were me, I'd consider which tonal qualities I wanted and then decide which snare represents the best value to give it to me.

Thanks. Ya I had an Acro a few years ago, short-sightedness had me sell it. I did find it kinda loud, and not sure to my ears if it was "dry". But a great all round drum. Am hearing good things about the Sensitone. Other day I came across this comparison and was further surprised of the difference in Blacrolite and Acrolite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd2ym9xqpW8

I'd go for a seamless shell metal drum. I have a bronze Sensitone, used to have a brass Sensitone (until I donated it to the criminal community), and I think the Ludwig snares sound better. A used 6.5" deep Supra is a great drum for the money.

I have a Ludwig 1979 - 14 x 6.5 SS and a brand new, same sized, Brass on Brass BB w/ tubes and die casts. They are both equally good sounding (once I put die cast on the SS) but different. I don't know which one I like better.

Yea, seamless shells FTW

I'm a Pearl hater, but I've been impressed with the Sensitone series time and time again.

If you want THAT sound, and the Acrolite gets it for ya, then get one of them, since they will be about the cheapest good snare you can find used. I have seen some used Sensitone Steel snares for around the same price range, though. If you are shopping for a brass snare, don't overlook the Black Magic brass snares, or the Pork Pie BOBs, or the Drum Workshop Black Brass (made in Mexico, not the new made in America ones...). Also, you can find (*gasp*) Pearl free-floating brass snares in that price range, too...

I must say that I am really liking my new Ludwig BB hammered snare. I highly recommend it. Hope that is ok with everyone. :)

I must say that I am really liking my new Ludwig BB hammered snare. I highly recommend it. Hope that is ok with everyone. :)

Hey Sticks......Slowly.....ever so slowly...you're catching Ludwig fever.Resistance is futile.There is no known cure.You may have to go see the rock and roll doctor.His prescription.........more Ludwig.

More OT ...The sensitone bronze is a good drum for the price point,but Ludwig metal snares just sound great to me.The LM 400/402,the Acro or the BB or supra hammered bronze,are just the best sounding drums I have ever heard.

Steve B

Hey Sticks......Slowly.....ever so slowly...you're catching Ludwig fever.Resistance is futile.There is no known cure.You may have to go see the rock and roll doctor. His prescription.........more Ludwig

Steve B

You said it Steve! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

My goal is to turn every member here into a Ludwig guy. Sticks is the ideal poster child for my purposes!

Just wanted to bump this thread. Now that Pork Pie has the seamless 6.5” Pork Rub on the market, does it jump to top 2 on this list? I think it goes above Sensitone especially once a used market shows up 12-24 months from now.

Back