Ludwig shells - help identifying.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Hey all,

There's a local guy selling a small Ludwig maple kit super cheap. It was made in 1996 and by all means, looks like one that you would buy today. He's telling me they were made in Monroe, NC, just as they are today.

Are they the same shells, same build quality, and overall...what you'd expect from Ludwig today in terms of quality and sound?

If they're the Classic lug and the Monroe badge (large keystone), give 'em a listen. Great drums.

the shell might be a little thicker, but they should be pretty close, since I don't think the newer Ludwig shells have changed all that much since then. Now, the early 90's shells were still quite thick, and there was also the super classic 4 ply shell, but I'm not sure when they quit making those. I think they went to the modern thinner shell in '93 or '94. Either way, they're as good as the newer Ludwigs.

Sounds strange seller to me...
If the drums were really manufactured in 1966, they should have the small Keystone badge with the city name of Chicago, not Monroe...

Ludo

Sounds strange seller to me...
If the drums were really manufactured in 1966, they should have the small Keystone badge with the city name of Chicago, not Monroe...

Ludo

Ludwig moved from Chicago to Monroe in 1984....so the drums would most definitely have a Monroe badge (note the date of the OP refers to 1996 shells..NOT '66).

Although this thread is over a year old, so I'm not sure the initial question is relevant any longer either.

I think in 1996 ludwig was on the cusp of changing the shells,they were offering super classic and classic shell,one was 4 ply one was 6 ply,and I believe they were a mix of maple and select hardwood.At that time Ludwig was building themselves back up,but I am sure they will be good drums quality and finish wise.If you like the way they play and sound and can get them for a good price go for it.

I bought my Ludwig Classics in '95 over the Super Classics because having just had a thin maple Keller kit, I actually wanted the thicker shell. It was poplar sandwiched between inner and outer plies of maple. I'm almost positive that the Super Classics were made the same way but thinner.

Ludwig hadn't quite turned the corner in '95. My kit had a couple flaws and one really obnoxious one that made it perfectly clear that there was ZERO quality control going on at the time.

I'm glad to hear that they're making the effort nowadays.

Back