Ludwig S/L series, early 80’s

I’m back with another inquiry. I might be able to pick up a Ludwig S/L kit from the early 80’s for around $250. Comes with matching snare and hardware plus two solid hardware cases. I don’t know anything about S/L’s other than they were the precursor to the Rocker series. Thoughts, help? They look in good shape.

Attachments

IBitePrettyHard

Seems like a great deal IF you want a vintage 80s rock sound, and like the 12/13/16 setup.

As with all drums from that era, it will have some quirks. The tom mounts/brackets are bad by today's standards. I have that exact mount setup on my Vistalites. You need a wrench to adjust the tom positioning.

Also the bass drum spurs look feeble, you will almost certainly have bass drum creep.

BUT, some people LOVE that about vintage drums and are willing to put up with the quirks, all for that classic sound.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Not a bad kit. Yes .... before the Rocker. Notice the straight nail spurs and 8 instead of 10 lug bass drum. So .... a step down from the Ludwig Classic. Shells were poplar. Maple interiors on the toms, I think. 4 ply toms. 6 ply bass.

They look super clean. Most chrome-o-wood kits ain't nearly that pretty.
As with all drums from that era, it will have some quirks. The tom mounts/brackets are bad by today's standards. I have that exact mount setup on my Vistalites. You need a wrench to adjust the tom positioning.
Agreed. But easily cured. I use RIMS on most all my rack toms, fitted with Yamaha mounts.
Also the bass drum spurs look feeble, you will almost certainly have bass drum creep.
I have a Ludwig 3 ply 22x14 with those spurs, and if you're bass drum pedal has velcro on it, and you have a drum rug, no creep (least not for me).
BUT, some people LOVE that about vintage drums and are willing to put up with the quirks, all for that classic sound.
Yeah .... that would be me.

Catalog page .... here .... http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_drumsets_1982.html

IBitePrettyHard

Agreed. But easily cured. I use RIMS on most all my rack toms, fitted with Yamaha mounts.
What RIMS mounts do you use exactly? It looks like the official RIMS mounts are only available through their website, and they're pricey, but there are plenty of other competing brands. What do you recommend?

harryconway

Platinum Member
What RIMS mounts do you use exactly? It looks like the official RIMS mounts are only available through their website, and they're pricey, but there are plenty of other competing brands. What do you recommend?
I have the older (original) Gauger RIMS ..... in 12, 13, 14 sizes. Probably had some of 'em for close to 20 years. Those are the sizes that encompass my vintage toms. With my RMV's, right now, I'm running both 12's on RIMS (happen to have 2, both with Yamaha mounts) ..... however .... next time I get the 8, 10, 12 combo up ..... they'll be suspended on RMV rims modified with Yamaha mounts.

I think pretty much any rim mount that suspends the drum from 3 or 4 lug points seem to work fine.

The one that I tried and didn't like was the Pearl I.S.S. That clamps onto the existing drum hoop (which can flex). I dumped those in a hurry.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I don't really have much else to add that hasn't already been mentioned.

One nice thing is the lugs are small Classic lugs, as opposed to the Rocker lug. Otherwise, there's a lot of finicky stuff there; the tom mount isn't great, the spurs aren't great, and the floor tom legs are the old super short variety.

In its favor are the traditional-depth toms. I like the 12/13/16/22 configuration a lot, so that's a plus in my book too.

I do question the wrap though. The reflections in it are so wavy it cannot be Chrome-O-Wood. So is it factory chrome plastic wrap, or is it a re-wrap job done with some random material?