Ludwig Rocker?

dmbfan73

Looking for a 1st snare for my son and found this on Craigslist. Is this a Ludwig Rocker? Serial number is 6068484; seller said it was purchased 15+ years ago but barely used. Is it worth $80? I know nothing about drums but have narrowed it to a rocker based on the black and white badge. Thank you!

Attachments

• ludwig rocker.jpg
    ludwig rocker.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 26

Out of Round

The Black & White badges were made in Asia, I have a brass snare 6.5"x14" also with the same badge also about 15 yrs old. I think they followed on from the Rocker series without being marketed as such at the time. It's a decent drum, but the strainer is suspect for gigging or heavy play, IMO. I replaced with a P-85. $80 seems fair, but I haven't looked at snare prices in a while. Hope this helps.

bodhran

Looking for a 1st snare for my son and found this on Craigslist. Is this a Ludwig Rocker? Serial number is 6068484; seller said it was purchased 15+ years ago but barely used. Is it worth $80? I know nothing about drums but have narrowed it to a rocker based on the black and white badge. Thank you!
Not all Black/White badged Ludwig drums were made in Asia!
I have a made in USA 6.5x14" Rocker for sale right now. It is the original mirrored chrome wrap over wood!
It's in beautiful shape and was recently tuned up with new heads and is ready to play.

PM me for more info.

Attachments

• rocker.JPG
    rocker.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member

Agreed!

If the drum in the OP is wood shell, it's almost certainly USA made and dates from about 1982 - 1992. All of the wood Rocker snares have the Rocker lug like the drum Bodhran posted, but Ludwig was notorious for mixing and matching hardware and releasing variations that didn't make it into catalogs.

acsunda

Could be a Ludwig SL series, they had black and white badges but had the classic lugs (as opposed to the Rocker lugs) and were made in the Monroe factory out of factory second (damaged/out of round, etc.) classic maple shells (or so they say). SL’s were made in the early 80’s just before they introduced the Rocker series, I believe. I had an SL kit a while back and it certainly sounded very nice, more like a classic Maple than a Rocker.

Out of Round

Guys, drummers like me appreciate the Ludwig info dump, but how about answering the OPs question about the value of the drum instead of correcting me and/or trying to upsell a "better" drum and then just moving on. The guy is buying it for a 12 year old. Is it worth $80?

Superman

Gold Member
Does it come with the stand or just the snare? I think $80 is a fair price. Head looks new, that's $17 right there. Obviously the stand being included makes it a more attractive deal.

It's not the best deal I've ever seen in my life, but you aren't getting ripped off either.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
If it's a wood shell S/L from the early 80s, I think $80 is a good price. If it's a metal shell import drum from the 90s or later, it's significantly less of a good deal. More info would help.

drumhedd

This is an entry/midlevel 6.5x14" 4-ply chrome over wood snare, made in Ludwig's Monroe NC factory in the '80s - '90s. From 1982 - 1984, this model was called L-601 and part the S/L series, was then changed to LR-751 when the series renamed to Rocker/Rocker II in late 1984.

If the inside of the shell has an off-whitish paint finish, it's an S/L. If it has the greyish brown speckled paint, it's a Rocker II. If it has clear lacquer with visible woodgrain, it's a Rocker. Regardless, the shell will be a 4 ply maple/poplar blend. It has a really warm, deep sound and much more versatile and "professional" tone than many similarly-priced drums. I used to own one and played it live and in the studio for many years.

According to recent sales on Reverb, $80 is a pretty good deal, especially if the snare stand is included!

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 8.48.32 PM.png

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Guys, drummers like me appreciate the Ludwig info dump, but how about answering the OPs question? The guy is buying it for a 12 year old. Is it worth $80?
Yes.
For what he'll be using it for, it's perfect.

I think $80 is a fair price. Head looks new, that's $17 right there. Obviously the stand being included makes it a more attractive deal.

It's not the best deal I've ever seen in my life, but you aren't getting ripped off either.

Exactly. Many "student snares" come with a backpack style case that will hold the sticks & stand.
In this case, you can find the rest of these items pretty cheap on Craig's & EBay all day.

TJK

I have a made in USA 6.5x14" Rocker for sale right now. It is the original mirrored chrome wrap over wood!
It's in beautiful shape and was recently tuned up with new heads and is ready to play.

PM me for more info.
Had one with my 1989 rocker modular double bass monster. Great snare
Edit: I really miss that damn snare, it was a great rock drum!

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
Agreed!

If the drum in the OP is wood shell, it's almost certainly USA made and dates from about 1982 - 1992. All of the wood Rocker snares have the Rocker lug like the drum Bodhran posted, but Ludwig was notorious for mixing and matching hardware and releasing variations that didn't make it into catalogs.
I had a kit that I think I bought new in 1982 Ludwig SL series made in the USA which later became rockers they all had a black and white badge like that. The snare drum was wood with chrome finish. I think they called it Chrome o wood. My drums had classic lugs on them and I was told like you said at that particular time they were likely to put anything on any drum.

timmdrum

Silver Member
It looks more like one of the student package snare drums than a Rocker series, due to the lugs. (Did any Rocker kit snare have the internal muffler?) But sure, $80 including the stand, and no functional issues on either? Decent deal.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
It looks more like one of the student package snare drums than a Rocker series, due to the lugs. (Did any Rocker kit snare have the internal muffler?) But sure, $80 including the stand, and no functional issues on either? Decent deal.

The 80s wood drums had the internal muffler. The early 80s S/L drums had the classic lugs. Knowing what the drum is really depends on if the shell is steel or wood.