Ludwig Restoration Advice Request

ncc

Silver Member
Hi.

I have a Ludwig Super Classic 3 piece set (13, 16, and 22) in oyster pearl psychedelic red that I purchased in 1969. The Bass Drum is has an Apr 24, 1968 stamp on the wood. I’m not sure if Ludwig put the stamp there but I am fairly sure they may have since I bought them in a very small store. These drums have been in storage since the early 80s and are in fairly decent shape, but I have ‘misplaced’ some of the parts. In 1978, I had also made a modification and replaced the bass drum cymbal mount with a second (Ludwig matching) single tom mount on the bass drum and added a 12” tom. This tom has the Blue/Olive badge and serial number for the 1978, and has the inside was sprayed with granitone (that looks to be the only year they used that on the drum called the Combo series) but while it has the same finish name, it is not the exact same finish.

I’m considering restoring these and would appreciate some advice. I will need a bass hoop with the inlay, and tensioning rods and hooks for the front bass drum hoop, as well as tensioning rods for the bottom heads on all the toms (I have the original hoops) and the bass drum cymbal mount . My questions: (1) Is this worth putting money into this project? (2) How much will it be noticed and the value depreciated if I use new tensioning rods for the bottom tom heads? (3) Should I remove the second tom mount and fill in the extra holes and try to find the cymbal mount? (4) Is it worth selling off the 12” tom and mount? (5) Anyone have any ideas on where to find the bass drum hoop with the inlay at a reasonable price?

I did some research but all the stuff I could find on this kit and finish is dated 2011. So any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Unfortuneately,your kit us in an altered,non original condition,with a drum added on at a later date,so the entire kit isn't in "born in" condition.Ludwg used several variations of psych red(not really considered and oyster pearl),and the later versions that were used in 76 (when that wrap was discontinued)have a larger pattern,then the late 60's wraps.So drums added later,won't match.

I'm assuming the drums from 69 have keystone badge,though they could have B/O ,as this was a transition year for Ludwig.As far as the granitone/lud-coat spray,that was used on all lines of Ludwig drums,except vistalite.Classic,Standard,some Clubdate have granitone interiors.In 76,there was also a transition from 3 ply shells with rerings,to 6 ply shells with no rerings.

Being that the 12" tom was added later,selling it off seperately is a good option,as it was NOT part of the original set.The only source that MAY have inlay strips might be Jack Lawton.The original psych red pattern you have on those 60's drums,hasn't been around since 71 or so.

As far as being noticed,any serious collector,will spot it right away.Psych red is a very collectable wrap now,because it was unpopular in the late 60's-70's.An unalterd 3 piece kit could bring upwards of 3500 US.You kit,will be worth a lot less though,because of the alterd bass drum,and missing original parts.It's also impossible to put a real number on it without clear pics of both the interior and exterior.Post some pic.

Steve B

harryconway

Platinum Member
Just google psychedelic Ludwig, and you'll see all kinds of examples of these kits. A '78 tom won't even have the same shell (6 ply) as your '68 (3 ply). I'd sell that off, and put whatever cash you get back into the kit.​
The green tends to fade out, when exposed to light. So how vibrant the green is, that's a good indicator as to how well the wrap has aged.​
As far as restoring the kit, that's up to you. If you're thinking of keeping the drums, then do what ever you want. If you're gonna sell them, then it's real hit and miss whether you'll get the price out of the drums that you put into them. And because of the extra holes in the bass, they're always gonna be a players grade.​

ncc

Silver Member
Hi Steve. Thanks for the information! It is very appreciated!

I have not yet cleaned them up, but just did the top of the bass drum a bit to take the pictures below that show the only mod i did, 2 extra holes (circled), and to show overall condition of the finish and the hardware. What looks like white marks on the finish (especially by the badge) is just glare from the flash. The hoop needs to be refinished as there are a lot of nicks. There are also, unfortunately, small nics on the front edge of the bass drum that I am sure came from not having the head on. :-( Nothing really major. If only i knew then! ;-)

I am about to start my search for the other parts. Since I have the tom hoops I must have the tensioning rods somewhere in a box. The search is on.

Ill post more pictures as soon as I take them apart and clean them up. What do you recommend that i focus on?

Who is Jack Lawton.

BTW, this is why I assumed it was Oyster Pearl. http://www.vintageludwigdrums.com/60sfinishes.html . I don't really know the differences.

Attachments

• DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 1,151
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 396

ncc

Silver Member
Just google psychedelic Ludwig, and you'll see all kinds of examples of these kits. A '78 tom won't even have the same shell (6 ply) as your '68 (3 ply). I'd sell that off, and put whatever cash you get back into the kit.​
The green tends to fade out, when exposed to light. So how vibrant the green is, that's a good indicator as to how well the wrap has aged.​
As far as restoring the kit, that's up to you. If you're thinking of keeping the drums, then do what ever you want. If you're gonna sell them, then it's real hit and miss whether you'll get the price out of the drums that you put into them. And because of the extra holes in the bass, they're always gonna be a players grade.​

Thanks Harry. I appreciate the feedback. As for the 78 tom, I think I may sell off (with the bass drum mount) since it does not really match and not part of the original kit. Ill post pictures after I clean it up more and maybe you guys can help me put a value on it ;-)

I did Google to find information, especially since we all know that everything posted on the Internet is always true. lol. The weird thing that i found, is that my 78 tom, identified by the serial number on the Ludwig site), looks to be the one year Ludwig used the old stock 3 ply that was used in the late 60. This is what is on the Ludwig site itself (http://www.ludwig-drums.com/woodshellguide.php)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Yes,there are some 3 ply drums,with later serial numbers on them,which leads to some confusion sometimes.For that very reason,I use other methods,besides just serial numbers to verify the vintage of Ludwig drums.Psych Red wasn't listed in the late 60's catalogs,and wasn't listed till 71,but it was available like the other psych wraps as well as black panther and the two thermogloss finishes.

Like Harry said,the greens tend to fade out first and turn kind of a cream color.It seems,your bass drum at least has quite a bit of "green fade".On the original,the greens were very vibrant .

Selling off the later tom,should pay for all of the replacement parts,and then some.I would hang on the the rail consolete mount,or sell it seperately.Those 70's vintage complete mounts usually go for at least 80-100 if in good condition.

Steve B

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
I didn't know you were into Ludwigs also! I have restored quite a few kits now and several Ludwig kits. Let me read through this and hit you back in a PM.

Here are the Luddy drumsI have had:

1967 Club date - restored and Sold
1967 Jazzfest - restored and Sold
1968 Pioneer - restored and Sold
1965 Pioneer - restored and Sold
1965 Club date - traded
1967 Combo - keeping!
1940's WFL floor tom - sold
1966 Jazzfest - staying with me!

Of course Supra's, Acros and a cool piccolo

Manny

criz p. critter

Silver Member
For tension rods, you can just use modern Gibraltar replacements. They're the same thread and look identical to the original. You can get replacement bass claws from Ludwig, but they don't look the same. You should try to get the original claws off of ebay. Fairly cheap and easy to find. Good luck with the restoration!