LUDWIG Paiste cymbals

johnwesley

Silver Member
I've not played any but am looking at a pair of 15" hi hats. These are Swiss not German made. Price is good but wondering if you've had any playing time on these Ludwig branded cymbals.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I only have ever tried their crashes. The Alloy is NS12, a nickle/silver bronze alloy. To my ear, the crashes were bright (high pitch), like Zildjians B12 and Paiste's brighter B8 offerings.

I've never seen or heard the hats though, but assume they are the same, like a ZHT quality.

Peedy

I've not played any but am looking at a pair of 15" hi hats. These are Swiss not German made. Price is good but wondering if you've had any playing time on these Ludwig branded cymbals.
How old do you think these are? If memory serves me, Paiste started making cymbals for Ludwig in about 1960. Blue labels?

Pete

johnwesley

Silver Member
How old do you think these are? If memory serves me, Paiste started making cymbals for Ludwig in about 1960. Blue labels?

Pete
I'm pretty sure they're early 60s. On second look at them, one is a Ludwig Standard by Paiste which from research indicated it's NS12, the other is a Ludwig by Paiste which is probably B8 or B12 but could be B20. Both are engraved Swiss made. I You Tubed the Ludwig standard model and glad I did. Three different vids and different cymbals, ALL sounded like crap. Now I'm looking for some 15" hi hats in other brands, but probably won't find what I'm looking for in the money I've allotted. Dadgum it.

Peedy

Blaa blaa blaa blaa blaa. . . .

Now I'm looking for some 15" hi hats in other brands, but probably won't find what I'm looking for in the money I've allotted. Dadgum it.
Then there are questions:

1. How much money are we talkin bout?

2. What type of sound do you prefer?

johnwesley

Silver Member
I'm not going above $150, that's why I was looking "off brand". I'm using 13" Ks right now which will stay set up, but I'm looking for something lighter. Somewhere in the 900-1000 gram range each so I can get a sloshy sound. The Ks are awesome, but I'd like to add the 15s for a different sound option for different music.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure they're early 60s. On second look at them, one is a Ludwig Standard by Paiste which from research indicated it's NS12, the other is a Ludwig by Paiste which is probably B8 or B12 but could be B20. Both are engraved Swiss made. I You Tubed the Ludwig standard model and glad I did. Three different vids and different cymbals, ALL sounded like crap. Now I'm looking for some 15" hi hats in other brands, but probably won't find what I'm looking for in the money I've allotted. Dadgum it.
My feeling was that they weren't as bad as a set of beginner B8's, but not as nice as a premium quality Paiste. A small step above an economy cymbal. They did have a trashiness to them (sonically) despite looking like proper cymbals.

I use 15" K thins and they cover quite a bit variety/genre wise without having resort to contortions. Not really bashers though.

C.M. Jones

I'm not going above $150, that's why I was looking "off brand". I'm using 13" Ks right now which will stay set up, but I'm looking for something lighter. Somewhere in the 900-1000 gram range each so I can get a sloshy sound. The Ks are awesome, but I'd like to add the 15s for a different sound option for different music.
If you want light and sloshy, try pairing crashes as hats. While that's not a strategy I've ever been on board with, as it's too sloshy for my taste, it might suit your needs just fine. Some drummers use nothing but crashes as hats and find the results satisfactory.

Peedy

If you want light and sloshy, try pairing crashes as hats. While that's not a strategy I've ever been on board with, as it's too sloshy for my taste, it might suit your needs just fine. Some drummers use nothing but crashes as hats and find the results satisfactory.
Agreed. You can also try a 14 over or under a 15 ala Max Roach (he did both). Bonus is you can do it on the cheap if you already have a suitable 14 laying around.

Last edited:

johnwesley

Silver Member
My feeling was that they weren't as bad as a set of beginner B8's, but not as nice as a premium quality Paiste. A small step above an economy cymbal. They did have a trashiness to them (sonically) despite looking like proper cymbals.

I use 15" K thins and they cover quite a bit variety/genre wise without having resort to contortions. Not really bashers though.
Thanks. You know, if I could afford them I'd get the K sweets. I'm thinking that would be the sound I'm after judging from what I've read.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Yeah, I'm looking in that direction now. Thanks. Oh, I still have the Pear session studio on my list too.

kevinmac

If the date is correct then they were called Ludwig Standard. The NS12 were made from 1958- 60 in Switzerland.
The later version 1960 - 1964 made of Ns12 Were from Germany( your description not the ones)
So if made in Swiss as you say, they were made from 1958 - 1960, or are the later version 65-69 as per below, which are the 2002 bronze formula (CuSn8).

1957 - 1958"Ludwig"embossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Germany
2​
1957 - 1970Stanopleembossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
3​
1957 - 1964Stambulembossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
1957 - 1959Super Formula 602embossedhand stamphandTraditional Bronze - CuSn20Switzerland
1957 - 1977Dixieembossed / blackhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
1958 - 1960"Ludwig"embossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
4​
1958 - 1960"Ludwig" Standardembossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
5​
1959 -1979Formula 602Logo black, Type redhand stamphandTraditional Bronze - CuSn20Switzerland
1960 - 1964"Ludwig" Standardembossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Germany
1963First use of 8% Bronze (CuSn8).Switzerland
1963 - 1973Superembossedhand stamphand2002 Bronze - CuSn8Switzerland
1965 - 1969"Ludwig" Standardembossedhand stamphand2002 Bronze - CuSn8Switzerland
6​

johnwesley

Silver Member
If the date is correct then they were called Ludwig Standard. The NS12 were made from 1958- 60 in Switzerland.
The later version 1960 - 1964 made of Ns12 Were from Germany( your description not the ones)
So if made in Swiss as you say, they were made from 1958 - 1960, or are the later version 65-69 as per below, which are the 2002 bronze formula (CuSn8).

1957 - 1958"Ludwig"embossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Germany
2​
1957 - 1970Stanopleembossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
3​
1957 - 1964Stambulembossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
1957 - 1959Super Formula 602embossedhand stamphandTraditional Bronze - CuSn20Switzerland
1957 - 1977Dixieembossed / blackhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
1958 - 1960"Ludwig"embossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
4​
1958 - 1960"Ludwig" Standardembossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Switzerland
5​
1959 -1979Formula 602Logo black, Type redhand stamphandTraditional Bronze - CuSn20Switzerland
1960 - 1964"Ludwig" Standardembossedhand stamphandNickel Silver - NS12Germany
1963First use of 8% Bronze (CuSn8).Switzerland
1963 - 1973Superembossedhand stamphand2002 Bronze - CuSn8Switzerland
1965 - 1969"Ludwig" Standardembossedhand stamphand2002 Bronze - CuSn8Switzerland
6​

Thanks. Appreciate all the info. I kinda knew some of it, but you just filled in some blanks. Both cymbals labeled Swiss made, but different engraved logos. Leads me to believe one might be the earlier NS12, and the other the CuSn8.

ludwig standard 1.jpgludwig standard 2.jpg

Last edited: