Ludwig P88AC Dilemma

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
The other day I bought the new P88AC strainer for my '79ish LM400 Supra. I was excited to install it but was disappointed to discover that the holes in my snare are too small for the mounting screws. I have a newer LM400 that I acquired with a drum kit that I plan on selling and of course it fits on that one. The older Supra sounds better for some reason so I don't want to sell that one. (Yes, the gaskets are removed so it's a bit of a mystery why)

So I have some choices...

Drill the holes in the shell a bit bigger.
Leave it on the other Supra and keep it (but does anyone need two LM400s?)
Return the strainer.

Advice?

Return the strainer. It's good but I think Ludwig was stupid to have let that one slip by.

Of course, you will ultimately do what you want to do, but I would avoid drilling the drum just to accommodate a $30 strainer.

I have a drill but might have to buy a bit. Do I need a special bit to drill metal? (Aluminum in this case)

I've drilled wood shells before but never metal.

I just was looking at this strainer for my late 70s/early 80s Acrolite. Does anyone know when Ludwig changed the hole size?

You could also try smaller screws if you don't want to drill the drum.
Not an ideal solution though.

You could also try smaller screws if you don't want to drill the drum.
Not an ideal solution though.

I should have mentioned, smaller screws are not possible because unlike the P85 the P88 and butt plate is tapped for threads from behind. So it's these screws or nothing.

I bought one of these for my 70s Acro and had my own dilemma with the butt plate which has holes for P32 and P33... but only the P33 holes are threaded. I was stuck so I set that aside and went to put on the strainer itself just to discover that like you, the holes in the shell were just a bit too small. So out came the drill to fix that and while I was at it, holes to accommodate the butt plate as well... two extra holes but whatever, this is not a $4,000 snare here.

So I say, drill, the holes are already there, the loss of a sliver of the shell material is worth the upgrade from the dreadful P85 in my opinion...

Drill it with a step bit - those are more like cutters and will do an excellent job - they'll make the holes very clean, and you can graduate up to just the size you need them to be.

I recently upgraded a snare to the P88. I think it’s a great throw off! I wanted to put one on my new black magic snare, but the hole spacing is different on the overseas made drums, so I’m gonna try an Inde throw off which is adjustable.

However, if it’s just a matter of slightly reaming the holes, I’d do it for sure. When you buy a bit the package will be labeled what it is intended to drill. Aluminum is a very soft metal, so it’ll drill very easily.

I should have mentioned, smaller screws are not possible because unlike the P85 the P88 and butt plate is tapped for threads from behind. So it's these screws or nothing.

I'm not familiar with them, but it sounds like you could go all hillbilly with it,
drill out the tapped portion, and then use whatever screws and washers will work. At least the drum wuldn't be drilled then.

Or like Bo says, just return it - ha ha.

Seriously, just get a step-bit, and ream the holes in the shell to the proper size. It isn't like that 79 Supra is a collector's item where the value would be seriously depreciated - it's just an old Ludwig snare. Ream the holes, install the new throw, and call it a day.

I bought one of these for my 70s Acro and had my own dilemma with the butt plate which has holes for P32 and P33... but only the P33 holes are threaded. I was stuck so I set that aside and went to put on the strainer itself just to discover that like you, the holes in the shell were just a bit too small. So out came the drill to fix that and while I was at it, holes to accommodate the butt plate as well... two extra holes but whatever, this is not a $4,000 snare here.

So I say, drill, the holes are already there, the loss of a sliver of the shell material is worth the upgrade from the dreadful P85 in my opinion...

I just realized I have the P32 dilemma too. It's one thing to make holes bigger but I don't trust myself to make new holes. I know I'll screw it up. It's going back. Really sucks because it's a great strainer.

Back