Ludwig P86 or P88 throw off for my 60s Supraphonic?

SharkSandwich

This has probably come up before so I apologize. I did a search and didn't find anything.

I have a P86 on my Black Beauty and I love it, I want to replace the original P85 on my 60s Supraphonic.
Anyone running a P86 on their vintage Supra? Would a P88 be better or does it just come down to preference?

Thanks in advance!

Just whatever you think looks cool and fits I guess. A strainer isn't something that changes the sound or that you even interact with much, it mostly stays flipped on. I went down that rabbit hole just this week with Ludwig strainers for my old drum, and finally decided on the original hardware.

I did a lot of reading of comparisons, wish I never closed those tabs out otherwise I'd link them for you. My preference would be to just stick with the p85 if everything else on it is original as well, cooler that way in my opinion.

It's up to you!

I have a P86 on one Supra, however I’m one of few who likes the P85. I like the 86 just fine, but the P88 wasn’t out when I was looking for a replacement. I would’ve gone that route had it been available.

The 86 has a shorter throw than a 88 but is also a bit more complicated, I don't really see a downside to either. I have an 88 on mine and it works great, I forget it even exists which is the point of the throw off. I'd give more style points to the 86 though, it looks great.

Much appreciated everyone!
That's just the feedback I has looking for. :)

I'm leaning towards the p88 now.

I'm leaning towards the p88 now.
The P88 is ok I guess but I'd lean more toward a Sig or a Glock.

7ahKzaF.png

But srsly, my only reservation about the P86 or the P88 is an aesthetic one. They don't really match the design language of many of the Ludwig snare models. They look a little mismatched.

The P85 matches the best with the Imperial lugs IMO. The super old Ludwigs match the best with the P86. The P88 is probably superior in every way, but it doesn't quite match most Ludwig models as much as I'd like. This is being nit-picky though, I'd still use one.

The P88 is ok I guess but I'd lean more toward a Sig or a Glock.

7ahKzaF.png

But srsly, my only reservation about the P86 or the P88 is an aesthetic one. They don't really match the design language of many of the Ludwig snare models. They look a little mismatched.

The P85 matches the best with the Imperial lugs IMO. The super old Ludwigs match the best with the P86. The P88 is probably superior in every way, but it doesn't quite match most Ludwig models as much as I'd like. This is being nit-picky though, I'd still use one.

That's a good point. The p85 does have a more classic look. I'm sure the new ones would be a major improvement
over the original one.

Personally, I'm a Glock guy ?

Last edited:
I recently tried to swap the P85 on my 1988 Supra with a P88, but the new P88 screws do not fit through the holes in the drum. I had previously done the same swap on a more-recent bronze Supra LB552, and that worked out fine. Has anyone else encountered this, and, if so, were you able to resolve it, and how ??

I recently tried to swap the P85 on my 1988 Supra with a P88, but the new P88 screws do not fit through the holes in the drum. I had previously done the same swap on a more-recent bronze Supra LB552, and that worked out fine. Has anyone else encountered this, and, if so, were you able to resolve it, and how ??
oh yeah, the older supras with P85 don't have spacing for the P88, the P86 has the same spacing as the P85 though. That's surely going to be an upgrade.

Back