Ludwig P85 Bolt Piece Issue

I just received this throwoff from Musician's Friend and installed it on a snare. I kept having issues with it not doing a good job of tightening, so I decided to take it off the drum. As I was doing so this small bolt type piece popped off. I was able to get it back in, but after moving the arm a couple times it just fell right off again. Musician's Friend just refunded me and told me to keep it. is this just a defective throw or am I missing something here?

IMG_8414.jpg

It looks like it's missing the retainer clip.
I figured that was the case. no clue where it wandered off to. I wonder if there's any hacks to fix it without it?

edit: although the more I look at it, it looks like there wouldn't be room for anything aside from that bolt.

Last edited:

wraub

Agreed with the above, some new hardware gets you a (relatively) free throw-off.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
thanks! I'll look into that. however, the bolt doesn't stick out through the other side at all, so there's nothing to clasp.
That might be a problem. There is tons of room for something to stick out the back, but the lever and the body have no room between them. Perhaps you could fix it with a rivit. Or an empty .22 case. The rim is thin and might fit between the lever and the body.

I'll keep thinking. This is a tough one but not impossible.

That might be a problem. There is tons of room for something to stick out the back, but the lever and the body have no room between them. Perhaps you could fix it with a rivit. Or an empty .22 case. The rim is thin and might fit between the lever and the body.

I'll keep thinking. This is a tough one but not impossible.
yeah, it's not pressing at the moment as I just put the old throw back on the snare, but is definitely something I'd like to see if I can do.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I was torn between one of those and the p88 for an Acrolite that needed a replacement. I ended up choosing the p88 as I wasn't sure how the p86 would look on there. plus the p88 was cheaper.
Is the throw off you replaced also a P-88?
You can harvest the levers from the old one for the new if it is. Just pop off the C-clips and swap over. Should be pretty straight forward.

Is the throw off you replaced also a P-88?
You can harvest the levers from the old one for the new if it is. Just pop off the C-clips and swap over. Should be pretty straight forward.
nah, the throw off I was looking to replace was the p83 on a Jazz Festival snare. I struggle to get the snare wires right having to time them off, so I figured I'd try a different throw off. I've debated whether I should keep the snare or not, but decided to just sell it so I put the original throw back on it.

vyacheslav

You could use a small screw in lieu of the "rivet" that had been attached with the retaining clip. Use a nylon insert stop (or lock) nut, so it won't loosen up but still not have to be tight to allow the lever to pivot freely. Use some nylon washers on each side of the screw where it sits up against the chrome. You can take the throw with you to the hardware store to find the appropriate size screw.

FYI, this also works great for pedal hinges as well.