Ludwig / Noble Cooley Solid-Ply Snare Drum Collaboration - Video

All_The_Drums

This is one of many, many cool exclusive, limited edition drums and cymbals we're releasing to celebrate our 10th Anniversary.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/news/ludwig-noble-cooley-solid-ply-snare-drum-dcp-10th-anniversary-exclusive/

(In before) Why did we do this? Ludwig snare drums are our best-seller. The only thing their line currently lacks is a solid-ply snare. We thought this collaboration was a no-brainer. (Think about when Craviotto used to make DW solid-shells.)

Stay tuned for exclusives from Sonor, DW, Pearl, Canopus, Zildjian, British Drum Company, Tama Star and more!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Shane, I hope you sell tons of these. More solid shells on the market is a beautiful thing. Thank you for bringing this exclusive drum to the public. I hope these spawn others to jump on the solid shell thing. I can't think of a better collaboration. Noble and Cooley and Ludwig. Wow. I thought you were going to get a little choked up there for a minute. You're a good guy, you must be so proud to offer this. I mean how many top companies collaborate anymore? Well done sir.

That is my favorite wood finish. Like Thermogloss. It reminds me of the color of a nice aged maple neck on a Fender guitar.

I hope this drum sells like hotcakes. Very tempting indeed.

All_The_Drums

Shane, I hope you sell tons of these. More solid shells on the market is a beautiful thing. Thank you for bringing this exclusive drum to the public. I hope these spawn others to jump on the solid shell thing. I can't think of a better collaboration. Noble and Cooley and Ludwig. Wow. I thought you were going to get a little choked up there for a minute. You're a good guy, you must be so proud to offer this. I mean how many top companies collaborate anymore? Well done sir.

That is my favorite wood finish. Like Thermogloss. It reminds me of the color of a nice aged maple neck on a Fender guitar.

I hope this drum sells like hotcakes. Very tempting indeed.
Thank you, Larry. It's a huge deal for us, and we're very thankful at the opportunity we've been given.
Obviously, we hope they sell well - but if they don't, that just makes them more of a collector's item! ;)

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Ludwig’s wood snares have always lagged behind their metal snares. I’d love to see them make a real effort at truly great wood snares, long-term.

I’m surprised that tulipwood ended up being the choice. It does sound great, though. I’m also surprised they went with diecast hoops.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I love collaborations.
I love seeing drum companies working with each other.
Zildjian + Noble and Cooley.
Dunnett + Ludwig.
Jenkins Martin + INDe
All of these companies have something unique that goes well with each other.

I'm sort of wondering what Ludwig brought to a Noble and Cooley.

I still love this collaboration. Absolutely love the sound!

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

And the edges and the finish and fitting and assembly of all the hardware. Probably Ludwig hoops too.
But I have to wonder if most lugs and hoops aren't farmed out to companies like Gibraltar. Or some nameless Chinese company that makes hardware for "everyone."

charliedrummer

I love the sound of this drum in the medium and high tuning range. It's also one of my favorite Ludwig finishes. It's not significant but I don't like how Ludwig uses the same size tube lugs on their 5" and 6.5" shells. That smaller tube lug just seems out of proportion to the 6.5" shell.

The video references other collaborations to come in celebration of DCP's 10th anniversary. I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I love the sound of this drum in the medium and high tuning range. It's also one of my favorite Ludwig finishes. It's not significant but I don't like how Ludwig uses the same size tube lugs on their 5" and 6.5" shells. That smaller tube lug just seems out of proportion to the 6.5" shell.

The video references other collaborations to come in celebration of DCP's 10th anniversary. I'm curious to see what they come up with.
Personally, I enjoyed it at all tunings, which is rare for me. Now I want to hear side-by-sides of all the woods Noble & Cooley has to offer.

notvinnie

But I have to wonder if most lugs and hoops aren't farmed out to companies like Gibraltar. Or some nameless Chinese company that makes hardware for "everyone."
Anything chrome plated will most likely be coming from Asia. Chrome plating is a nasty process with a ton of EPA regulations that make it very expensive, and still risky. I don't think the same regulations exist in Asia, which means those workers will most likely not reach old age.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Anything chrome plated will most likely be coming from Asia. Chrome plating is a nasty process with a ton of EPA regulations that make it very expensive, and still risky. I don't think the same regulations exist in Asia, which means those workers will most likely not reach old age.
Kind of Makes me want to not buy anything chromed, you know?

Groov-E

Silver Member
Kind of Makes me want to not buy anything chromed, you know?
And all the industrial rejections in surrounding bodies of water would also represent a danger to everyone and everything else in the vicinity.

Moving back to sustainably sourced wood hoops would be an alternative.

Restraint from compulsive buying is also a great solution, 1-2 well chosen snares will cover a wide range of situations.

I would make that NC/Ludwig beauty work for everything I do !

incrementalg

Gold Member
Looks awful, like a goldfish mated with a donkey. Noble and Cooley are better off left unsullied by Ludwig.
Geez...I don't think it looks bad. It's kind of nondescript looking, but not like a goldfish or a donkey.

Most importantly, it sounds fantastic. In fact, this may be one of my favorite wood shell snare sounds ever. Now, I need to justify spending the $$!