Ludwig New Supra-Lite Snare Drums

zarrdoss

Gold Member
My dealer told me ludwig is discontinuing the black magic series and the supralites are replacing them?
The stainless steel ones right? not the black brass with die cast hoops, that would not make much sense, I know they make the Black Beauty but wicked expensive compared to the Brass Black magic.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
not the black brass with die cast hoops, that would not make much sense,
I remember Bermuda saying that production of the Black Beauty had slowed and that the wait time for a new one stretches out to a year or more these days. I've often wondered if this was due to Ludwig offering a cheaper alternative in the Black Magic. It actually never made much sense to me why they would produce a knock off drum that uses the exact same shell as all the other knock offs.........given that they already manufacture the original drum that everyone else is trying to copy in the first place.

I understand their need to keep their market share by offering an alternative, but I do wonder if that alternative has hurt sales of the flagship model. I guess this could be a possible reason for opting out of the BM's (assuming the brass BM is on the radar of course).

mandrew

Gold Member
My understanding of the Black Beauties situation is thus. . . The process is an old one, and there are environmental issues with the production process that never used to exist. There is only one or two companies that can produce the shell plating, and only so many can be produced. Demand is up, but they can only produce so many. It may even come to a halt at some point if enviromental laws become more strict, or they send the process overseas. If you want one, get it now. Used prices will eventually go through the roof. Suppl;y and demand. The other options will be plain brass shell, or COB.

zarrdoss

Gold Member
No to derail this thread too much but if I am not mistaken didn't Ludwig have some Black beauties made somewhere in Asia already? Just to test the waters so to speak.And also I thought they had the black magic made to compete with all the black beauty knock offs.
I have not seen a Supra lite yet but if I can get a 6.5x14 for 180 and a steel BM is 320 I would probably opt for the supra lite.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
No to derail this thread too much but if I am not mistaken didn't Ludwig have some Black beauties made somewhere in Asia already? Just to test the waters so to speak.
Now this is a new one. I'm gonna have to put my slueths cap on and do some investigating.

And also I thought they had the black magic made to compete with all the black beauty knock offs.
Exactly.....here's our copy, to rival your copy, of our original that everyone else is trying to copy anyway. Seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot, for mine. You're an active part of the process to compete against your flagship model.

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Now this is a new one. I'm gonna have to put my slueths cap on and do some investigating.

Exactly.....here's our copy, to rival your copy, of our original that everyone else is trying to copy anyway. Seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot, for mine. You're an active part of the process to compete against your flagship model.
No I was mistaken it was the Black Magic, but hell you know they have to be testing the waters, as the EPA and other regulations drive production costs up, Lets hope not though.

zarrdoss

Gold Member
I just picked up a 6.5 x 14 the other day and for the $183 I spent on it you simply cannot find a better drum and probably not even in the 300 or maybe even more range. It has the exact same throw that my Black Magic has and decent snare wires same as BM also. Heavy duty hoops and thicker shell. The stock heads are decent and it sounds good right out of the box, well tuned that is, I happened to have some Puresound Blasters Evans hazy 300 and an Aquarian Hi-Velocity laying around and threw them on and oh my god this is an awesome sounding snare. I was thinking one day about getting a 6.5 x 14 Supraphonic with tube lugs but now pretty sure I wont, Yes it it that awesome. Ludwig really knocked this one out of the park.

gmiller598

My dealer told me ludwig is discontinuing the black magic series and the supralites are replacing them?
Any news if this is true? I am considering buying a 6.5 Black magic Stainless Steel and I don't see many used ones around. If so, I need to research if the Supra-Lite's hold up from a quality perspective.

I've seen what appears to be some prices dropping on new Black Magic Stainless Steel 6.5 drums I have seen so I'm wondring if they may drop a bit in the short term.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
If so, I need to research if the Supra-Lite's hold up from a quality perspective.
I'd be willing to bet thay they will be the same shell. Ludwig source their imported shells from the same factory as every other manufacturer using the Asian made shells by all accounts. I reckon it's a pretty safe bet to assume that the Supra-Lite will be no different.

markdrum

Silver Member
My old Speed King was the type where you had to take it off of the bass drum and then use a slotted screwdriver to adjust the two compression springs. Outside of this and the metal linkage that always developed a squeak at the wrong time it was a great pedal. I still get tickled when I hear John Bonham's Speed king squeaking on "Since I've Been Loving You". What a great piece of history.

porter

Platinum Member
One thing I wondered is why they are marketing the new BD pedals with 'Atlas' instead of Speed King. I still have two functioning Atlas cymbal stands that I bought in the late 70s or early '80s so I get that connection.

As far as I can tell the pedals are souped up and modernized Speed Kings though by the look of the footboards.
They relaunched/refreshed all of their hardware recently and wanted to make sure the pedals were cohesive, I guess... though using the Speed King name would have been a cool move and keeping the rest of the hardware Atlas.

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Any news if this is true? I am considering buying a 6.5 Black magic Stainless Steel and I don't see many used ones around. If so, I need to research if the Supra-Lite's hold up from a quality perspective.

I've seen what appears to be some prices dropping on new Black Magic Stainless Steel 6.5 drums I have seen so I'm wondring if they may drop a bit in the short term.
I have been told by one dealer that in fact they were going to replace the Black Magic stainless with the Supralite because it was the same drum and its less expensive. I have a 6.5" supralite and I can tell you it will hold up just fine, just get some nylon washers and your good to go.