Ludwig New Supra-Lite Snare Drums

jodgey4

Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fek-Ouy30Io
Looks like we've got some new snares coming in later this year. Video says: steel shells, brass tube lugs, coming probably the 4th quarter of this year.
4" x 14"
5" x 14"
5" x 15"
I hope Supra-Lite is how it'll be spelled. Supralite (probably correct) or SupraLite might be correct, I dunno. Just don't hurt me if I'm wrong.

How interesting. If I hadn't have seen that vid, I wouldn't have believed it.

Do you know anymore about them....i.e. limited edition or going into regular production, that kind of thing?

I don't know anything else. The video was just posted on their official Facebook page, hopefully we'll hear more soon.

Thanks for that.

I liked the story about the multi-band sparkle drums as well.

One thing I wondered is why they are marketing the new BD pedals with 'Atlas' instead of Speed King. I still have two functioning Atlas cymbal stands that I bought in the late 70s or early '80s so I get that connection.

As far as I can tell the pedals are souped up and modernized Speed Kings though by the look of the footboards.

Curious..

Jim

Supra-Lite? With a steel shell and brass lugs, wouldn't it be HEAVIER than a normal Supraphonic?!?!?

I was thinking the same thing.Steel is always heavier that aluminum.My second comment is....why?.I can see reintroducing the 15" diameter snare,but don't we already have enough steel shell snares already available?I think introducing a 15x5,15x6.5 and a 13x3.5 Supra would have been a better move.Throw some chrome over brass S hoops on those and Ludwig wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.

Ludwig did a great job this time keeping the new stuff under wraps,not like they did with the Club Date line before NAMM.I didn't hear anything.I guess they plugged the leak.:)

Steve B

Thanks for that.

I liked the story about the multi-band sparkle drums as well.

One thing I wondered is why they are marketing the new BD pedals with 'Atlas' instead of Speed King. I still have two functioning Atlas cymbal stands that I bought in the late 70s or early '80s so I get that connection.

As far as I can tell the pedals are souped up and modernized Speed Kings though by the look of the footboards.

Curious..

Jim

the speed king pedals had interior springs though and the Atlas shows exterior spring. Not an expert on Ludwig pedals but I always like the idea of the interior compression springs.

definately there is a bit of nod to the look of the new pedals towards the old speed king... i have to say that the speed king is an awesome design, and i really like the feel of them.. however, i don't like the flimsy, slippin around nature of the linkages on them... if they would modernize the structure but keep the same patented offset direct mechanism, and also maintain the optional heel control longboard variation, i think you would see them fly off the shelves... well at least i would buy one

Update: "Want Steel? Got $200 bucks? We can hook you up for less than that! Stay tuned...."
From the official Ludwig page. Also a new badge, blue and olive oval badge with a keystone in the middle.

I like the new badge sort of retro-modern look to it...hopefully the snares sound just as good...the 15" size has got me interested.

Bonzolead

Attachments

• New Ludwig Badge.jpg
    New Ludwig Badge.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6,670
Update: "Want Steel? Got $200 bucks? We can hook you up for less than that! Stay tuned...."
From the official Ludwig page. Also a new badge, blue and olive oval badge with a keystone in the middle.

Wow. Cheap.

I'm wondering if it's just a Rocker shell dressed up in a new suit? Thought Ludwig USA might have ventured into the steel shell market, but at those prices I'm not convinced it's not the same old generic Asian shell with some different bling and a fancy new badge. If that's the case, I reckon attributing any connotations of "Supra" might be a stretch.

What do you guys think?

I agree. As soon as I saw the throw off wasn't a P-85 I knew these would be imports.

The price point seems good, and the sizes are interesting, so I'm sure this line will be a winner for Ludwig.

I just hate the sound of steel in a shell. No thanks. 15" concept is interesting, though. . . I oncce had a steel Rogers dyna-sonic, and never could come to like it.

I have to say that, even though the only Ludwig drums I own are 2 supras, the more time that passes and the more drums I see, the more I am convinced that they are the only drum company that has that something that is hard to describe, an X factor, that makes you want them. I used to think the lugs were dated but as time passes I am really starting to like them (maybe want is the word) and the club date kits and zep themed kits are all just so nice.

I really like the idea of a smaller snare too.

I feel this way about Gretsch and maybe sonor after seeing the SQ2's.

I'd like to know why they STILL can't fix the lug splay problem. If you have a look at the pic above, it's rather obvious...
I couldn't agree more, irrespective of price point. It's a first base measurement thing. Even though this is a cheap Asian drum with a Ludwig badge, I'd still expect the very basics to be right.

All that said, as a caution, sometimes a camera close up can cause the image to look like that. I've experienced it on my own shots, but that's using a point & shoot camera. Let's face it, it's not exactly unknown for Ludwig drums to suffer from lug splay though :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that, even though the only Ludwig drums I own are 2 supras, the more time that passes and the more drums I see, the more I am convinced that they are the only drum company that has that something that is hard to describe, an X factor, that makes you want them. I used to think the lugs were dated but as time passes I am really starting to like them (maybe want is the word) and the club date kits and zep themed kits are all just so nice.

I really like the idea of a smaller snare too.

I feel this way about Gretsch and maybe sonor after seeing the SQ2's.

I agree. Now Ludwig has gone the Taiwan route on their lower end stuff but you can easily say that they enjoy the best resale value of any of the others. Ringo & Bonham's estate should be on their payroll permanently.

I just hate the sound of steel in a shell. No thanks. 15" concept is interesting, though. . . I oncce had a steel Rogers dyna-sonic, and never could come to like it.

Dyna's were always chrome-plated brass if it was steel it wasn't. a dynasonic.

Bonzolead

Back