Ludwig Neusonic issue

gaddgod

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone came accross such a problem. With Ludwig Neusonie 22-16-12, I'm having difficulty getting the floor tom to life. I have tried different head combination and it sounds pretty papery. I will give Remo Emperor Vintage a try soon. Kick and tom sound awesome.

Any thoughts ?

gish

Initial thoughts without having more info-

- how are you tuning it? If you’re at just above wrinkle then perhaps this drum needs more tension to come to life
- is the drum out of round? Take the batter head off and measure in a few different spots
- bearing edge issue? Visually inspect the bearing edges; put the drum on a flat surface like a countertop and put a flashlight in the drum. If you have light coming out then there’s the issue
- Warped hoop?
- bad head? Batter and or reso?

gaddgod

Initial thoughts without having more info-

- how are you tuning it? If you’re at just above wrinkle then perhaps this drum needs more tension to come to life
- is the drum out of round? Take the batter head off and measure in a few different spots
- bearing edge issue? Visually inspect the bearing edges; put the drum on a flat surface like a countertop and put a flashlight in the drum. If you have light coming out then there’s the issue
- Warped hoop?
- bad head? Batter and or reso?
Thanks for your reply....

I have tried low, mid and hight tuning. Still, you are excepting some low end out of a 16 inch drum. Drum is new, in round and bearing edges are perfect. I used Remo Emperor batter and Ambassador bottom, both clear and coated.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I used Remo Emperor batter and Ambassador bottom, both clear and coated.
You may have a bad Emperor. Those (and Pinstripes) are notorious for the 2 plies not laying very flat and preventing good tuning. Try another Emperor, or better yet, a 1-ply to really get the drum to sing.

If you really want a 2-ply, try the Evans EC2. VERY consistent quality, and sounds somewhere between an Emperor and Pinstripe.

Bermuda

markdrumz

You may have a bad Emperor. Those (and Pinstripes) are notorious for the 2 plies not laying very flat and preventing good tuning. Try another Emperor, or better yet, a 1-ply to really get the drum to sing.

If you really want a 2-ply, try the Evans EC2. VERY consistent quality, and sounds somewhere between an Emperor and Pinstripe.

Bermuda
Second that suggestion! I have great results with the EC2 on my Signet 105 kit. Collar also seems to fit the most bearing edges better as well.

IBitePrettyHard

Are the feet on the legs crap? Lift it off the ground and give it a wack. If that sounds good then replace the feet with Pearl Air Suspension feet.
Like he said. ^ It could also be the feet. Pick the floor tom off the ground with one hand and hit it. Does it resonate more now?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Are the feet on the legs crap? Lift it off the ground and give it a wack. If that sounds good then replace the feet with Pearl Air Suspension feet.
Yes, do this. You can use an old shoe under each leg until you get the suspension feet.

And it doesn't look ghetto at all.

gaddgod

Looks like the problem comes from the head. It seems that a Remo Ambassador makes it ring for days... The drum came back to life!

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've noticed the flooring underneath the floor tom makes a huge difference in mine. Both Tama starclassic performer and Ludwig Club date. At home I'm on a concrete floor with one of those Oriental looking rugs over it and my floor Tom's just flat sing. When I take them out they vary quite significantly on stages. Sometimes they sound okay sometimes they're almost completely dead.