Ludwig NEUSONIC FAB DIGITAL BLACK OYSTER SE

I thought you did own a Neusonics kit? I remember asking about the spurs on these, they look pretty cheap.

Not yet, but I've been wanting to, and soon will. But I'm very familiar with them after working with them at NAMM during the last three shows (on the set-up days before the people and noise make it difficult to hear how things sound.)

The spurs are leftovers from the Signets - part of the cost-savings on the Neusonics - and no, they're not super sturdy. On a virgin kick they're fine if you're not a super aggressive player, and it's unlikely that such a player would be looking at that line anyway. However, I'm going to install a tom plate and mount a rack tom or two, and I'll know better how the legs hold up. I also did that on my Signets, and there were no movement or sturdiness issues, so I'm optimistic.

Should have them next month, I'll keep everyone posted. :)

Bermuda

I actually like this way more than about 90% of the finishes that Ludwig offers. It's completely new, and in my opinion, very forward thinking on their part. Do we really need constant regurgitations of the same finishes & wraps we've been forced to endure for the last 100 years?

Even though I am not a Ludwig fan in the slightest, I applaud them for this wrap choice.

Well, they are different!

Love a black oyster and although this take isn't for me much I like that its unique.

I like the wrap a lot. It will look better in normal light without a white background, like in a bar.

You guys who think it looks like a food prep surface could think of it as the butcher-block of the 21st century.

The wrap reminds me of strobe tuners. Maybe if you spin these drums really fast, different patterns will appear at different speeds!

Not yet, but I've been wanting to, and soon will. But I'm very familiar with them after working with them at NAMM during the last three shows (on the set-up days before the people and noise make it difficult to hear how things sound.)

The spurs are leftovers from the Signets - part of the cost-savings on the Neusonics - and no, they're not super sturdy. On a virgin kick they're fine if you're not a super aggressive player, and it's unlikely that such a player would be looking at that line anyway. However, I'm going to install a tom plate and mount a rack tom or two, and I'll know better how the legs hold up. I also did that on my Signets, and there were no movement or sturdiness issues, so I'm optimistic.

Should have them next month, I'll keep everyone posted. :)

Bermuda

They should really look at upgrading those. Is the hole spacing similar to any other spurs design they offer?

They should really look at upgrading those. Is the hole spacing similar to any other spurs design they offer?

I don't think the holes match up to anything, I sort of recall there are just two holes. But I wouldn't balk at installing new spurs if needed, and chances are the old holes will be covered up anyway.

If they upgrade them, the drums become more expensive. It wasn't necessary on the Signets - even with mounting toms on the kick - so I'm thinking it's also not necessary on these.

Bermuda

Last edited:
If they upgrade them, the drums become more expensive. It wasn't necessary on the Signets - even with mounting toms on the kick - so I'm thinking it's also not necessary on these.
I visited the factory in November 2018. Ludwig was parting out all of the Signet hardware into separate bins. Spurs, tension rods, etc.. I'm guessing those spurs went on some of the earliest Neusonic bass drums.

At the time, Ryan said the factory was running a Saturday shift to keep up with Neusonic demand.

I also saw a rather large Signet shell bank, undrilled and collecting dust. I almost asked if Ludwig would consider finishing those out with classic hardware. After a few moments, I realized that my wife would kill me.

I visited the factory in November 2018. Ludwig was parting out all of the Signet hardware into separate bins. Spurs, tension rods, etc.. I'm guessing those spurs went on some of the earliest Neusonic bass drums.

At the time, Ryan said the factory was running a Saturday shift to keep up with Neusonic demand.

The line is doing very well!

Signet parts that were re-purposed are the kick spurs, and the Triad mount for the tom, and fl tom legs. It's a shell-mounted isolation mount similar to the "Atlas" but doesn't stick out as far. :)

Bermuda

The line is doing very well!

Signet parts that were re-purposed are the kick spurs, and the Triad mount for the tom, and fl tom legs. It's a shell-mounted isolation mount similar to the "Atlas" but doesn't stick out as far. :)

Bermuda
My Classic Maple floor toms have triad leg brackets.

I also saw a rather large Signet shell bank, undrilled and collecting dust.

Sad about the Signet line, they really sounded great, but there were just too many objections. Not about their sound though, because everyone was so quick to judge without actually playing or hearing them.

"I don't like the badge!"

"I don't like the lugs!"

"I don't like the finishes!"

"The lugs are gonna stretch out the holes!"

"The lugs are gonna rattle!"

"The lugs are gonna fall out when I change heads!"

Me: "But, you haven't even heard them..."

"I don't like the spurs!"

"I don't want to assemble the kit myself!"

"I still don't like the badge!"

"Did I mention the lugs??"

Sheesh.... :oops:

Sad about the Signet line, they really sounded great, but there were just too many objections. Not about their sound though, because everyone was so quick to judge without actually playing or hearing them.
It was a unique idea. I loved the looks, even though it didn't scream "LUDWIG!" The finish reminded me of the electrostatic options available on the high-end stuff. That's why I was tempted to ask about having them cut, drilled, and finished.

I think a keystone badge would have made a huge difference in perception. The Signet badge almost looks like the button on a pair of Levi's. That problem was rectified with Neusonic. It was smart of Ludwig to put a keystone badge on those.

Also a classic lug. :)

Agreed. I think Signet had to bear too many "differences" from what people expect from a Ludwig kit. If it had been "just" the lugs, or the finishes, or the badge, or the "do it yourself" construction it might have played out differently.

But it wasn't, so it didn't, and Neusonic's popularity proves that people want a Ludwig kit to look like a Ludwig kit. In hindsight the only surprise is that Signet's unpopularity was a surprise.

people want a Ludwig kit to look like a Ludwig kit

That played a part in why the Keystones eventually got the classic lug, and in fact is now the Classic Oak series. Prior to that, it had the lug from the Asian-made Epic series, even though the drums were made in Monroe. A little bit of an identity crisis, but it got solved.

Bermuda

Some drum companies can change up lug designs and badges every few years with (seemingly) no effect to their viability but Ludwig just isn't one of those companies.

I'd put Gretsch in the same boat. There is an expectation of a certain look and it seems to me that every one of their experiments outside that box ends up changing back before too long. I'd wager they sell a lot more kits now just because of the round badge they put on all of their lines...

Some drum companies can change up lug designs and badges every few years with (seemingly) no effect to their viability but Ludwig just isn't one of those companies.

I'd put Gretsch in the same boat. There is an expectation of a certain look and it seems to me that every one of their experiments outside that box ends up changing back before too long. I'd wager they sell a lot more kits now just because of the round badge they put on all of their lines...
Imagine if DW suddenly stopped using the turret lug.

I usually lean toward a traditional look, but I love this. I mean that I REALLY love this. I was hesitant in regards to the original Neusonic finishes that were offered. This is a winner in my book.

I'm looking forward to seeing you behind them on tour Jon.

Looks like someone used modern contact or wall paper and stuck it onto the shells.

Digital? Complete opposite of what drums represent, but does represent modern quantized music production

Looks like someone used modern contact or wall paper and stuck it onto the shells.

That would be the case with any matte finish.

Digital? Complete opposite of what drums represent, but does represent modern quantized music production

That's just the name of the finish, however it's not a digitized Oyster Black. It originated elsewhere, and they decided that it resembles what Oyster Black might look like if digitized. If Ludwig hadn't named it, I'm pretty sure the aficionados would start calling it that anyway, just as the did with the later oyster finishes which are now universally know as "bowling ball".

Bermuda

....orrrrr "digital" representing "data expressed as 0s and 1s", which is how the vast majority of music has been recorded and released for the past 40 years, regardless of quantization.

Back