Ludwig NEUSONIC FAB DIGITAL BLACK OYSTER SE

King Tiger

I don't hate it, but not a big fan of it. I could learn to like it more if I heard them and they sounded good to me. I don't base a whole lot on color of a set. I'm more interested in sound.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
As strange as the wrap is, I could see that looking really good under stage lights.
Exactly! The white strips will reflect the changing colors for a dynamic look. I used white kits on the road for more than 20 years, and they always followed the stage lighting to become more a part of the show.

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
I'm more interested in sound.
Me too. I loved these drums since they first appeared in 2018, but never pulled the trigger. I was ready to order one of the other colors, and when I saw a photo of these at the factory, I knew the timing was right.

I judge a kit by its toms. Kicks and snares have their own sound and are easy to make sound great, but toms reveal how well the sound is balanced, and how much sustain the drum has. If a company makes a great tom, the kicks and snares follow accordingly. (For the same reasons, I judge a cymbal line by its crashes.)

The Neusonics sound fabulous, far better than they should given that they're the lowest priced US-made Ludwigs. :)

Bermuda

Last edited:

Tamaefx

Silver Member
The Neusonics sound fabulous, far better than they should given that they're the lowest priced US-made Ludwigs. :)

Bermuda
This one thing I don't doubt ; I'm sure they're very good sounding drums, with beautiful shells.
The other thing I'm sure, those drums would have much more thumbs up and sales if they were also offered in more classic colours, let say transparent cherry, or transparent black, silver sparkle, gloss white, Termagloss maple... The same problem as the Signet drums kit actually, the colours were too bold to please everyone. About the Digital Oyster, I don't see myself spend 1400€ in a 3 piece kit in such an outrageous and cheap looking finish.
Strictly personal opinion as you may guess, and classic colours / taste discussion!

I'm sure they will be great collectible and coveted kits in 20 years :)!

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
I agree that the Neusonics sound great, and also a bit different. I was a little surprised by that the first time I tried them.
Not sure why. Maybe it's the wood combination or something.

My reaction to the finish is irrational, but falls along the lines of larryace's thinking.
Probably just an old guy thing.
IMO - the Neusonics deserve a nice finish.

Last edited:

bermuda

Staff member
The other thing I'm sure, those drums would have much more thumbs up and sales if they also offered more classic colours, let say transparent cherry, or transparent black, silver sparkle, gloss white, Termagloss maple... The same problem as the Signet drums kit actually
Part of keeping the cost down is the labor and material savings by forming the finish with the shell in the mold. It's a one-step operation, Same for the Signets - those 'wood' finishes were actually the external ply as well. That undoubtedly has a lot to do with the sound of both shells, the finish is more unified with the shell than gluing a wrap on a finished shell.

But it's true that the finishes have been limited, a couple not very attractive IMO. They'll be adding more. I was going to get the drums no matter what, and when the digital oyster black was announced, I jumped on them!

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
Maybe it's the wood combination or something
I think it's that as well, cherry is a good wood! I've been playing my Asian-made Club dates for the last year or so, and they sound great to me. They're a cherry-gum shell with a full nice roundover edge. Neusonic is maple & cherry, with a 45° and slight outer bevel for better shell contact (which results in a little more of the fundamental note.) So the sound is balanced nicely - some attack but with a nice note - and the sustain is wonderful. These will need to be gated for sure! :D

Bermuda

RobertM

Platinum Member
Oyster finishes have always been terrible, IMHO. Definitely a bizarre baby boomer generation thing, I’d wager.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
What does it sound like-who cares about the finish. You can look it at that people will "finally" notice the drums. It sorta looks like a Kindergarten glass got a hold of a bunch of different tape and went to town. That said it looks eclectic, modern and odd which I can't say anything is necessarily wrong with that. Visually it draws your eye-maybe that's the design. I think playing for Weird Al this kit finish be perfect given his eclectic nature. But the name doesn't reflect the actual finish it seems. Maybe just call it "Modern Eclectic" and people will expect this? I like the Skyline blue-it matches the color of my eyes-just need red hardware to match my sclera LOL.

Last edited:

bermuda

Staff member
I think playing for Weird Al this kit finish be perfect given his eclectic nature.
Top priority for me is always the sound. I didn't choose the finish with Al in mind, I just happened to order the drums when the finish was announced. I would have ordered a kit anyway in either Coral Red or White.

Actually, the finish is up to me anyway. Al doesn't get a say, nor has he made a comment one way or the other about finish. However I do consult and defer to him on any kick reso artwork, and the last two tours my Teal Sparkle Classic Maples sported a plain white head. One of those years I had the option to use art from the tour motif - which was my idea - and in the end I chose not to.

Bermuda

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The Neusonics look interesting being made in US and less than $1000-they have different bearing edges than Club dates? Having limited finishes is fine with me to get cost less than $1000. They haven't been on my radar but look worth a look.

RobertM

Platinum Member
Me too. I loved these drums since they first appeared in 2018, but never pulled the trigger. I was ready to order one of the other colors, and when I saw a photo of these at the factory, I knew the timing was right.

I judge a kit by its toms. Kicks and snares have their own sound and are easy to make sound great, but toms reveal how well the sound is balanced, and how much sustain the drum has. If a company makes a great tom, the kicks and snares follow accordingly. (For the same reasons, I judge a cymbal line by its crashes.)

Bermuda
Interesting judging process. I agree about tom toms, but for cymbals my benchmark is the hi-hat before crashes. And that’s why Paiste is tops for me.

RobertM

Platinum Member
If you're referring to the older Ringo type oysters - I love 'em.

Just a 'bizarre baby boomer generation thing' I guess.
Yeah, I think so. I grew up in late seventies and eighties, so I’m used to nice colors: Tony’s yellow, Recording Custom black or wine, maybe a blue or white—but never, ever an oyster wrap.

Aboulger116

It's interesting, not my least favorite finish ever. They look more appealing in the up close pictures Ludwig has posted. I like it better than the skyline blue finish.