Ludwig Legacy vs Classic drums, comparison?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Basically, the Classic Maple drums have a little more attack, and the Legacy drums have more warmth. For a more modern sound, the Classic Maple are best. For a rounder, more '60s/'70s sound, the Legacy Maple are more suited. For a little more breath, the Legacy Mahogany are really nice. :)

Bermuda

G

Ghostnote

I have a Legacy Maple kit and the word I would use to describe them is tubby. I thought the rounded bearing edges would make for less sustain, but not so. They have as much sustain as any other kit I've played, but the poplar middle ply and the edges give them a little more woody, tubby sound than Classic Maples. A little less attack too. The singer in the last band I was in was also the sound man, and he said my kit was the easiest kit he had ever dealt with when it came to micing them up and getting a good sound. He did sound for Bryan Adam's for a while and he's seen a lot of kits over the years, so that's saying something.

johnbarnesiii

I have this question too. Would love to hear comparison from those who’ve tried both.

I’m interested in a fat warm dark tone that I can use in my rock band. I have a DW early 90s maple kit (pre-Collectors series) and trying to get a comparison.

I’ve heard the Legacy Series are more thuddier and less resonant than say the DW Classics series (another series with vintage-y qualities). Not sure how they compare to Collectors series. DWs could have more volume too.

But I like resonance and don’t want thuddy drums.

Any additional insights on these?

Rosemarydrumco

IMO I don’t think warm fat and dark are descriptors that go with ultra resonant drums. Any of the kits with the rounded type edges that are less sharp are going to have reduced sustain a bit but it helps draw out the shell tone and feels like you are playing the drum more and not so much the heads. From what I’ve been told the legacy are still fairly resonant drums but I think whether something sounds tubby has More to do with tuning than anything

johnbarnesiii

Thank you, that is good to know. I guess the next step would be to find a place that has em and try them. I could bring a ton from my DW kit and compare. Thanks!

johnbarnesiii

That's what I thought when I checked them out at NAMM (not the best place to hear things). I definitely felt, more "woody" and more "warm", but not less projecting than Classic Maples (which I owned at the same time). Both are fine instruments and I think either could be made to sound however you want them to.

Great to hear. I feel I’m starting to lean more toward them.
How would you compare to the DW sound?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Get a set with the exact sound you want, then wrap them. For my money, the fullest, AND most resonant drums around are the Jenkins-Martin. Put a wrap on them and you’ll darken the sound up and have a deep, deep thud with plenty of resonance left over.

johnbarnesiii

Get a set with the exact sound you want, then wrap them. For my money, the fullest, AND most resonant drums around are the Jenkins-Martin. Put a wrap on them and you’ll darken the sound up and have a deep, deep thud with plenty of resonance left over.

Interesting idea. That thought had totally crossed my mind in the past but I was unclear on cost. What is the cost of such a wrap, and would it match the manufacturers wrap? In other words, does Ludwig’s white marine pearl wrap look different than say DWs? And if I went to a place like Precision Drum Wrap, would they be able to match the quality and look of a certain manufacturers wrap?

Thanks!

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Interesting idea. That thought had totally crossed my mind in the past but I was unclear on cost. What is the cost of such a wrap, and would it match the manufacturers wrap? In other words, does Ludwig’s white marine pearl wrap look different than say DWs? And if I went to a place like Precision Drum Wrap, would they be able to match the quality and look of a certain manufacturers wrap?

Thanks!

I’m literally the least knowledgeable person about drum wraps, but they are not actually that expensive. I’m prettty sure you could wrap it yourself fairly easily for around $100 bucks or a little more, and get a pretty good match for whichever WMP tickles your fancy most.

Wrap experts are invited to add more and better info. 😀

alparrott

Platinum Member

Thanks!

Cost varies based on whether you want a printed or actual composite material wrap. The latter is usually more expensive.

Ludwig's WMP will look different than DW's, maybe not to the untrained eye, but certainly to the person in the know. (The huge circular lugs might give it away too.)

Precision, Jammin' Sam's, and of course direct from Delmar are probably three of your best bets to get as close as possible a WMP match for a Ludwig drum.