Ludwig Legacy "Liverpool 4" wrap

Milt Hathaway

I had a request via private message for a good picture of the Ludwig Legacy "Liverpool 4" wrap that is currently available. Since my replies to that message don't seem to be going through ("sent messages" folder remains empty) I'll try it here.

Here's the best picture I have of the new kick I received a few weeks ago:

bopfinish.jpg

It looks even better in person.

Too bad the tom mount sucks.

I also have a Liverpool 4 set , but mine has the 100th. Anniversary badges on all the drums. You can see them in my avatar

Ludwig did a real nice job with the Vintage OBP wrap, it has the see through sections like the old wrap.

Here are some pics of my Liverpool 4 set

Attachments

• 9868c9f_20.jpeg
    9868c9f_20.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 289965j_20.jpeg
    289965j_20.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 965
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 789
If the tom mount sucks, take it off and plug the holes and use a snare stand for the tom. I did that for years on my older Ludwig sets. These Legacy's are maple? Like the regular Classic Maple Ludwigs?

Why does the Ludwig Rail tom mount Suck?
Just curious because I am thinking about buying a Club Date kit with that mount.

I don't like it on a kit that is supposed to resemble Ringo's.

It can't be folded-over for transport. The 'cymbal stand height adjustment' joint--while certainly strong vertically--can barely prevent rotation: If you lean the mount forward or backward the weight of the tom will pull the tom around horizontally. The overall mount is too tall due to the hardware required for vertical adjustment. Aesthetics-wise, it's a heavy rock-n-roll mount on a kit designed to resemble a kit from the 60s.

It's obvious to me that it was designed in a series of corporate committee meetings. Sadly, someone put a bunch of effort into creating a "vintage rail mount" that looks and operates nothing like a vintage rail mount.

I'm sure it's fine for most people. I'm just a picky ass.

If the tom mount sucks, take it off and plug the holes and use a snare stand for the tom. I did that for years on my older Ludwig sets. These Legacy's are maple? Like the regular Classic Maple Ludwigs?

Once I get up the courage to attack the kick with some power tools, I'm gonna remove the mount and put a Swivo-matic tom mount in its place. I already have the parts.

The Legacy Classics are 3 ply maple-poplar-maple with re-rings.

Just curious because I am thinking about buying a Club Date kit with that mount.

I may be incorrect, but both old and new versions of the Club Dates have the rail mount positioned top center on the bass drum. I don't know why The Liverpool version has the rail to the right of center? Anyway, I'm perfectly ok with the rail mount.

I may be incorrect, but both old and new versions of the Club Dates have the rail mount positioned top center on the bass drum. I don't know why The Liverpool version has the rail to the right of center? Anyway, I'm perfectly ok with the rail mount.

The Club Date's rail has to be centered between the lugs to clear the center style lugs and long tension rods.

I don't like it on a kit that is supposed to resemble Ringo's.

It can't be folded-over for transport. The 'cymbal stand height adjustment' joint--while certainly strong vertically--can barely prevent rotation: If you lean the mount forward or backward the weight of the tom will pull the tom around horizontally. The overall mount is too tall due to the hardware required for vertical adjustment. Aesthetics-wise, it's a heavy rock-n-roll mount on a kit designed to resemble a kit from the 60s.

It's obvious to me that it was designed in a series of corporate committee meetings. Sadly, someone put a bunch of effort into creating a "vintage rail mount" that looks and operates nothing like a vintage rail mount.

I'm sure it's fine for most people. I'm just a picky ass.
Thank you I appreciate the info. The folks at The Portsmouth Drum Ctr told me that they use a Yamaha wing nut on the ludwig mount to allow it to fold over. The Yamaha nut is smaller. I have a Gibraltar rail mount on one of my kits and it folds over with no problem.
I looked at the Ludwig mount in photos and it concerned me.
I think that Ludwig messed up a bit on their rail mount.

Ludwig has had issues with most of their tom mounts since I started playing in the 60's. My original kit is 60's Oyster Blue Pearl with a rail mount on the bass drum. I always had problems keeping the mount tightened enough to hold its place.

While I'm at it, I cannot stand the newer Ludwig Vibraband mount. It's a personal thing with me - the mount looks horrible, and the toms will not stay still when played on. Maybe they are just nervous toms !!

While I'm at it, I cannot stand the newer Ludwig Vibraband mount. It's a personal thing with me - the mount looks horrible, and the toms will not stay still when played on. Maybe they are just nervous toms !!

I've only had these mounts for about two and a half months, but never experienced the toms jumping around when played. Two drum sets where I did have dancing toms was a Tama Starclassic Maple and a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. The large toms on both of these kits were 16" and 14" and were used on a stand instead of legs. They basically didn't have any stability associated with them at all, that's why I opted for legs on the toms when I bought my Yamaha Absolutes. With the Vibraband mounts, the toms sit deep into the mount and are held in place with four tension rods and would actually have to bounce up and away from the mounts to cause this sort of instability. I do like some of my other tom mounts a bit better, but I've never had any issues with the Ludwig Vibrabands.

Dennis

If you don't like the Vibraband mount an easy fix is to go "Old School" and drill the shell and mount the holder direct to the tom.
I did this on my Mapex Saturn kit and I am totally happy. Im Old School I guess :)
grew up during the 60's, what can I say?

If I decide that the Ludwig Rail mount doesn't work for me I will simply order a Gibraltar Rail mount for my new Club Date kit when it arrives. I know that that the Gibraltar Rail Mount is OK because as I said earlier, I own one.

Back