Ludwig-Late 60's 6 Piece Full Mic-s Sample

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I did a sample of my vintage Lud's with full mic-up.
No compression, just EQ through mixer. No muffling on toms and snare.
No port on the BD. Evans EQ pillow inside touching both heads.
G2 Coated over G1 Clear on toms. G1 Coated on snare. PS3 Clear for Bass Batter. Ludwig Smooth White for BD reso.
Sizes, two up, two, down, 12,13,14,16,20
BB Snare with cast hoops. PDP Mini Timb's, 8" & 10".
https://soundcloud.com/bob-paquette/mixer-setup-121314-1251-pm

Attachments

Last edited:

Stroman

Platinum Member
Sounds good, Bob! I wondered how much tonal separation there would be with only an inch difference between the each of the three smaller toms, but at your tunings there was plenty. Plenty of low end out of that 20" bass drum, too!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I like the sound Bob. Would have been perhaps more meaningful if you didn't use EQ, but it sounds like you didn't use much. Nice job!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thanks guys, I used just enough EQ to dispose of the unwanted overtones. I have been dabbling in sound engineering and recording lately. I am learning how to EQ and record, etc.
I just bought the Soundcraft EPM8 Mixer and I am very pleased with it. It is relatively simple to use and it is perfect for mic-ing up a kit.
I also recently bought a Tascam US1800 interface. Both are shown in the pics.
I have discovered that you can make decent recordings on a modest budget and have rewarding fun while doing it. I have also learned a lot about tuning that I never knew since I began close mic-ing drums. Tuning under a microphone is a different animal than tuning for live sound.
I recently learned a lot about computers, software, and hardware too :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Tuning under a microphone is a different animal than tuning for live sound.
I recently learned a lot about computers, software, and hardware too :)
Certainly a different tuning animal for close mic'ing Bob. Yet another skill to put in the back pocket :)

I feel for you with your computer software/hardware journey. Dare I mention, us gentlemen of a certain age, have quite a hill to climb in that department. Good on you for stepping out of the box & going for it. I've had to embrace that "new fangled" stuff in a number of areas, & it's most gratifying when you get results from something designed to be used by someone half your age :)

Rock on Bob!!!!!!