Ludwig (large shell) kit question

Bonzobilly

Oh man, I walked into village drum the day after you left the downpayment!! Unfortunate for me but fortunate for you because they'd be mine!! Since I saw them in person I can vouch for their beauty. They're in great shape. Congrats!!

digibird

Very fun, cool kit that you are getting! It's my kit's big brother ;-). I have a Ludwig Classic Maple kit in Natural Maple like yours - mine is from 1999 and is 12x14, 16x16, 16x18, & 16x26, with a matching maple snare that is 8x14. Think of the monster kit if we combined both of our kits!

I would use the same heads on yours as I do on mine: Coated Emperor tom batters, Coated Ambassador tom resonants, Coated Emperor snare batter, PS3 coated kick batter with small falam slam, PS3 smooth white kick resonant with Ludwig logo and 4" Drum O's port. I also use a piece of auralex-type foam in the bottom of the bass drum, approx. from anchor- to -anchor in length and lightly touching both heads to get rid of the basketball sound inherent in such a large maple bass drum. You won't even notice a difference in playing response with a 4" port on a 26" head (just a bit less bounce-back, maybe) and it really saves headaches with reluctant/cranky sound guys.

If you don't own them already, your new maple kit requires that you have very large Paiste 2002s. :). 15" sound edge hats, 24" ride, and 20 & 22" crashes is what I would suggest. Then your kit is truly "The Beast". Awesome! Have fun & Enjoy!

SAINTDRUMS

Digibird, I have a 8x14 natural maple colesium snare waiting to go with this kit. It's seems like everything just fell into place with the kit because I bought that snare from the same store as well.

digibird

Digibird, I have a 8x14 natural maple colesium snare waiting to go with this kit. It's seems like everything just fell into place with the kit because I bought that snare from the same store as well.
Excellent! Congratulations! You are gonna have a great kit. More pics, please, when you get it all together - gotta see that huge kit all set up. :)