Ludwig Jazzette 1967 - Bass Drum ID

jazzmann

Hello folks. First off, I'll stress that this is and always has been a players kit, so not one for the collectors.

I'm after some help on the bass drum if possible. I'm no expert on vintage drums but I believe drummers ocassional had smaller bass drums custom made to match as these smaller bass drums may have more difficult to pick up compared to the larger bass drums. What I'm questioning.. is it definitely a Ludi made bass drum, or a custom matched bass drum from the same era. I'm pretty sure it is a Ludi, but the finish is slightly more glossy than both toms, so...

The floor tom and 12x8 are both date stamped 1967 and have corresponding keystone badges; no problem there.
The bass drum, I'm told is an original match, and to me the shell looks original.
The chap I bought it from, at some point wanted to make it more usuable (which I get - it's a players kit, not a museum peice), and had a Pearl tom mount and bass drums legs fitted.
The bass drum has been spun around so the original batter side is now the reso (evidenced by the original spur drill holes).
There are no grommets holding the badges on the three drums, so I think the bass drum keystone badge may have fallen off at some stage, replaced with a random '70's blue/olive, fitted in the opposite direction to how the original badge would have been fitted because the drum has been spun 180 degress.
The older holes under the Pearl mount are presumambly from a rail mount which would have been on the kit originally.
The bass drum finish is slightly more glossy than the two toms, so I figure it could possibly have had a coat at the same time as the other work.

Maybe someone better informed give me a bit of extra info?
Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• 2021-06-06 14.44.00.jpg
    2021-06-06 14.44.00.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2021-06-06 14.44.44.jpg
    2021-06-06 14.44.44.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 15
  • 2021-06-06 14.46.48.jpg
    2021-06-06 14.46.48.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 15
  • 2021-06-06 14.48.33.jpg
    2021-06-06 14.48.33.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2021-06-06 14.50.42.jpg
    2021-06-06 14.50.42.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2021-06-06 16.45.16.jpg
    2021-06-06 16.45.16.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 14
  • 2021-06-06 16.45.41.jpg
    2021-06-06 16.45.41.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2021-06-06 19.07.24.jpg
    2021-06-06 19.07.24.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 2021-06-06 19.10.22.jpg
    2021-06-06 19.10.22.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2021-06-06 19.20.12.jpg
    2021-06-06 19.20.12.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 18

harryconway

Platinum Member
Oh man, I'm jealous. So .... looks correct to me. The straight spurs can be seen on the Jazzette STILL, in the 1971 Ludwig catalog. Curved spurs were introduced in 1970. White interior is correct for 1967, Ludwig went to clear interiors in 1968. The term "Thermogloss" first shows up in the 1970 catalog (best I've found). Before that, the Natural Maple finish seems to be different. It doesn't wear nearly as well. Perhaps your drum was given a clear coat of something else, along the way. I've got/had drums that spanned 1969-1971, in Clear Maple/Thermogloss ..... and the finishes are different.

Clean, I've seen these drums sell for $2K. Modded like yours, I'm sure you paid waaaay less than that.;) And I bet it sounds killer !!!! Big money in that matching 14x14, however, if it's clean.

Thin Shell

Yeah, If that matching 14x14 floor tom is clean and original finish, it should be worth quite a bit. Natural finishes were quite rare during that time period and 14x14's are rare too and bring good money. The combination of the two could make that extremely valuable to someone looking to complete a Jazzette or bop kit.

Too bad about the bass drum. That kills the value as a kit so just make the best of it.

jazzmann

Thanks for the replies chaps. So my thoughts on the bass drum look to be correct.

I'd not considered the 14x14 as a separate entity. Best I start taking more care of it as it is still in very good/original condition (y) (y)

wildbill

Platinum Member
What are your plans for it?
If you have some experience, or don't mind sinking some money into it,
you could probably get it looking like a more presentable Ludwig bass drum.

Of course, it will never be the same as original, but if it was mine, that's what I'd be aiming for.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've got a Ludwig bop kit, and this thread got me curious about the current status of those sizes because you don't run across them too often.
I don't know how accurate this is, but I guess they're doing a one year run of them for this year, 2021.

"....The Classic Maple Jazzette Shell Pack from Ludwig is exclusive for 2021 only...."

Musicians Friend is offering the same kit, but I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Also - both places show the kit with a matching snare, but neither one says if it's included in the description.
Maybe it's new enough that they don't have all the details yet.

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
Revival Drum Shop in Portland, OR. has been selling these .... for a while ..... https://www.revivaldrumshop.com/products/drums-ludwig-revette

Yes - I've seen those. Looks like a great, easy to lug around, fun little set.
It's Classic Oak, so it might have a little more bite to it than a similar sized Classic Maple.

I put up a pic of the set I've got in another section. I'll put it up again if you haven't seen it.

It's got an 18x16 that Ludwig called a 'power bass' at the time, and it lives up to its name. (y)
It would take quite a bit of taming down if it was to be used in the typical small group setting.
You can special order it, but I've only ever seen one other one like it, but in a different finish:

1627557399536.png

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
Yes - I've seen those. Looks like a great, easy to lug around, fun little set.
It's Classic Oak, so it might have a little more bite to it than a similar sized Classic Maple.

I put up a not so good pic of the set I've got in another section.
Don't feel like taking a better pic right now, so I'll put it up again if you haven't seen it.
Nice. I've got a RMV in 18, 12, 14 ..... and a Yamaha Stage Custom in 18, 12, 16.

Seems like the "Revette" is the only one that comes in the Jazzette 18x12 size ..... until this 2021 Limited Edition Classic Maple kit. Maybe next up ...... we'll see Legacy Maple/Mahogany in the 18x12. That would replicate the original "Jazzette" the closest.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I'm not sure of the size of the 2021 set.

The description just says "Ludwig Classic Maple 3 Piece Jazzette Shell Pack with 18 in. Bass Drum"
without giving the depth. Not a lot of details at all.

The older jazzettes were 18x12, but the newer ones I've seen are 18x14.
There seems to be some disagreement as to whether the 18x14's should be called jazzette, but for myself, I'm not that finicky

On the Ludwig site (under component specs), you can currently order an 18" diameter bass drum in 14 or 16" depth:

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member

wildbill

Platinum Member
You're right - guess I didn't do enough checking around.
The Sweetwater ad also answers the question about the snare - 3 pc. without snare - 18x12 bass drum.
The Boston Drum Center one is also 18x12, but includes the snare.

And neither one says it's a 2021 only model. Must be just for that one finish, and not the sizes in general.
Looks like the original Jazzette size is back.
Not sure what I think of the smaller depth, I've actually never tried one.

BTW - jazzmann - I didn't see it mentioned in your post. Is that the size of the bass drum you have?

Last edited:

jazzmann

BTW - jazzmann - I didn't see it mentioned in your post. Is that the size of the bass drum you have?

Yes, my '67 is 18x12..
What are your plans for it?
If you have some experience, or don't mind sinking some money into it,
you could probably get it looking like a more presentable Ludwig bass drum.

Of course, it will never be the same as original, but if it was mine, that's what I'd be aiming for.
Trying to restore it would be my preference but I'm at a bit of a loss with those Pearl tom mount holes to be honest. I've been looking out for a rail mount which would fit without further drilling (so not the Atlas), but those large holes are still going to be very visible.

I've actually just fitted a new P1216D tom mount to the 12x8" (replacing the Pearl fitting and covering the hole). Unfortunately the drilled screw holes are still visible but the P1216D is, I believe, at least looks like it would have originally.

Those new "Revette" kits look very interesting.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Yes, my '67 is 18x12..

Trying to restore it would be my preference but I'm at a bit of a loss with those Pearl tom mount holes to be honest.
Gretsch also had a two big hole tom thang, for a few years. Plugging the holes .... I've seen people use thin slices of dowels ..... and I've seen people source their own plugs from similar "donor shells". But ..... you're still gonna visibly see the plug. If you want to stick with the natural maple wood finish, a maple veneer might be the way to go. Essentially ...... a wood wrap.

That's how I got my "natural maple" 3 ply 26x14 drum. It started out as a 40's marching drum, with single tension "button lugs". I had it veneered, drilled for Super Classic lugs, stained it to match my other natural maple/thermogloss drums ...... and came away with a "Bonham" sized kick that didn't cost me $2K. A veneer would also hide any "other" transgressions" ..... say ..... if you want to revert back to the original straight "big nail" spurs.

Another option, find some chrome plugs or use a metal plate.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 4
  • pearl hole cover a.jpg
    pearl hole cover a.jpg