Ludwig Jazz Festival Snares

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
What are your opinions on 1960's era Ludwig Jazz Festival snares as 1) players and 2) collectible.

Also are there some Ludwig snares that are legit "pre serial". I saw a Ludwig Jazz Festival on eBay that was advertised as such.

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
They play and collect well. Some can be had cheap and others like a black oyster pearl 60's version will run you thousands!

I have had a lot of them and prefer ones with COB hoops.
Great snares.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
They seem to pop on eBay consistently in excellent condition $500-$700.

One that looks nice they advertised as "pre-serial" I don't know what that means.

They play and collect well. Some can be had cheap and others like a black oyster pearl 60's version will run you thousands!

I have had a lot of them and prefer ones with COB hoops.
Great snares.

eamesuser

Silver Member
I have played a couple of Jazz Fests,they were both nice.IMO Ludwig generally just makes good snare drums overall whether wood or metal,vintage or modern.

500.00 to 700.00 sounds about right for a 50's 60's keystone badge,black oyster wrap is the finish ringo played,the prices are insane on those IMO.

Pre serial means pre 1963 for Ludwig, 1963 and after drums had a serial # on the Badge.The jazz festival first appeared in 1959 catalogue.Some people believe there are some earlier transition models.

Jazz fests came with a P-83 throw until 1970/71 then went to P-85.

More info on Jazz Fest drums here

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_jazz_fest.htm

Last edited: