Ludwig Gold Triumphal Snare

chungiemunchin

I saw a price tag of $7,500.00. For that price and the limited number of snare drums being made, they might as well have sent out personal invitations to the rock stars like Charlie Watts and Ringo Starr exclusively. It (the Ludwig Gold Triumphal) was certainly not meant for the struggling artists/musicians of the world. This is a snare drum, for all its' craftsmanship and price tag, meant for the elite. Don't even mistake its' target audience for anyone else but the well off.

Kind of makes it a snare drum NOT to be coveted.

T

trkdrmr

Hmmm.. the gold triumphal has a poor looking throwoff.

Again, the artificiality of the price for "collectors" reasons.

Maybe if Buddy Rich used the snare for at least a half dozen appearances, or it was used on tour with Bonham.

Chonson

Hmmm.. the gold triumphal has a poor looking throwoff.
Looks to be a reproduction Ludwig Professional strainer, appropriate given what the drum is trying to recapture. I know you're a fan of the Trick strainer but it'd look way out of place on this drum. (The Dunnett would probably be a little more in tune with the vibe but not by a lot.)

Really, I don't see why this drum bothers everyone as much as it does - there's nothing about this that would have made it seem targeted at or appropriate for the average drummer:
- Brass shell by Adrian Kirchler (you're at about $1000 with that alone)
- Hand engraved
- Limited run of 100 (the sum of the last three are roughly equal to the Craviotto Diamond series - you're at $2500 now)
- Gold plated
- Vintage-style hoops
- Company 100th anniversary drum. I can't think of an "anniversary edition" drum of late that was anything but overpriced. The Pearl drum of the mid-90s was not a special drum sonically at all, and it was $1000. The Pro-Mark drum was ridiculously expensive, and they don't even make drums, just sticks... now one of the most celebrated manufacturers ever (and certainly one of the best snare manufacturers ever) does one? It's a no brainer that it'll be expensive.

$7500 is definitely pricey - market value if this wasn't an anniversary edition (but still limited) would still probably be in the ballpark of $2500-$3500 though, given Kirchler shell + engraving + gold plate + vintage-style accoutrements.

Of course it's a collector's drum. Of course it's pricey - it's targeted right at those people for whom "Ludwig, 20s-style 100th anniversary drum, shell by AK" is alone enough to guarantee a purchase, cost is no object. And I'm sure they'll move all of these by the end of the year. Really, if there are more than a handful still floating around by August I'll be very surprised.

For the rest of us, take that $7500 and spread it out... on the kit of your dreams, a couple really top-notch snare drums and some great cymbals.

(I still say - AK shells are something special, but you should go direct to him anyway and get a drum customized for you. Just be ready to wait until 2010 probably.)

Michael G

Silver Member
Sadly, these kinds of things can happen under the current management of Ludwig. It's all run by non drummers now that weren't with the company during its more drummer friendly days. The only guy left that has any connections from the old days of Ludwig is being pushed down the ladder and out of the company due to his age.

I can safely say, this is the worst anniversary snare ever made.I really hope anyone who actually CAN afford it, does not buy this beautiful piece of trash.

T

trkdrmr

Sadly, these kinds of things can happen under the current management of Ludwig. It's all run by non drummers now that weren't with the company during its more drummer friendly days. The only guy left that has any connections from the old days of Ludwig is being pushed down the ladder and out of the company due to his age.

I can safely say, this is the worst anniversary snare ever made.I really hope anyone who actually CAN afford it, does not buy this beautiful piece of trash.
At least it's not as hideous as the Remo anniversary snare.
BLECK. (double bleck on the throw)

A snare that sounds, works and looks beautifully is the stunning pro-mark snare. I could almost justify $3,000 for that.
Sheer beauty.

I am not sure in this economy, a $7,500 snare is what is really needed. And IMO, the term "collectors item" indicates the value will shoot up over time. Somehow I can't imagine that luddie fetching $10,000 in 20 years. But if it gives you a warm fuzzy and you have deep pockets....go get one now.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I saw a price tag of $7,500.00. ... This is a snare drum, for all its' craftsmanship and price tag, meant for the elite. Don't even mistake its' target audience for anyone else but the well off.
That's correct, it is a "specialty item" according to Ludwig's GM and is not intended for everyone. The selling price of the drum is in the $7500-8000 range, worldwide (assuming that any go outside the U.S.) and dealer cost is pretty high. Unless you know a dealer who'll cut you a break - don't even expect 10% - everyone pays that price.

I've held the 1909 drum (the one in the photos) and it's a real work of art. But to be honest, I wouldn't take it out and play it. It's a collector's piece, and is intended for drummers who'll display it proudly (Bun E Carlos, Mike Curotto, etc.) and don't have to justify the expense for a drum that will see little or no use.

Bermuda

shoedaddy

It certainly is a, um, noticeable snare drum, but most non-drummers probably still wouldn't notice it, just as I can barely tell one guitar from another, whether it's $300 or $3,000. As a Ludwig fan, I'm all for them celebrating their past and was pleased to be able to get a new set of Vistalites last year to fulfill my own nostalgic needs.

What I'd really like to see Ludwig do, though, is start looking more toward the future. To me, they have a yawning gap in their product line between the Accents and the Classic Maples. I'm not going to spend $7,000 for a snare or even $3,000 to $4,000-plus for a Classic Maple or Legacy kit, but I might spent $2,000 for a modern Ludwig kit. I'd like to see them come out with something to compete with the Tama Starclassics, Pearl Masters, Yamaha Oak Customs, and Mapex Saturns. I had a Centennial kit briefly before I traded it back for the Vistalites. Nice kit, but still not at the level of those others. Modern features like die-cast hoops, Trick-influenced throws (as Trkdrmr pointed out--and welcome back home, by the way), and so on would be nice to see from Ludwig.

DaveB

I've reviewed the Remo and Promark drums and neither of them did it for me at all. The Remo drum was THE biggest PoS I've come across in seven years of reviewing drums. The Promark drum was pretty but largely impractical for day to day playing.

I have an AK gold drum sitting in my front room. It's a lovely drum, sounds just like it is intended and was $4,000 cheaper than the Ludwig model for nigh on the same thing. I did pay $4,000 for my drum and I can say for sure that I cannot see where the price is on these drums other than Ludwig getting greedy.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I usually do not hold Ludwig products in high regard but that snare is one of the most stunning musical instruments I have ever seen. I thin an entire set in that style would be outrageously beautiful.